inTank Media Baskets

34G Solana

34G

DAHNIC561

I have never been a fan of barebottom tanks but it doesn't bother me with this one for some reason. What do you guys think? I was going to add a little sand just for looks but now I am unsure. I have a feeling it would all blow to the back of the tank anyways.

your home is very modern in its furniture and decor so barebottom will compliment your style...my solana is barebottom as well and my home is also very contemporary i love the way the bottom of the tank became incrusted with purple and pink coraline algae...sand just looks old school to me...

i have this to clean the bottom of tank...works great with no mess...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...cfm?pcatid=3895

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never been a fan of barebottom tanks but it doesn't bother me with this one for some reason. What do you guys think? I was going to add a little sand just for looks but now I am unsure. I have a feeling it would all blow to the back of the tank anyways.

your home is very modern in its furniture and decor so barebottom will compliment your style...my solana is barebottom as well and my home is also very contemporary i love the way the bottom of the tank became incrusted with purple and pink coraline algae...sand just looks old school to me...

i have this to clean the bottom of tank...works great with no mess...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...cfm?pcatid=3895

Yes it does kind of work with the place.

I am still undecided though since I really do prefer sand. Old school or not ;) I am just going to leave it as is for a bit and see what happens. It is kind of easier to go BB since I can see if detritus is building up and needs to be cleaned. Not to mention flow is much easier. I still plan to add the Vortech in a few weeks which will up the flow in the tank significantly.

Speaking of the Vortech, apparently the MP10 is not even going to be available to us here in Canada until fall!

Not that I can't wait but since I leave in fall and wouldn't get to enjoy having the Vortech in the mean time, I think I will go with an MP20.

omg, it sucks that you have to get rid of that beautiful tank with all those fish!

glad that you like the downgrade though.

omg, it sucks that you have to get rid of that beautiful tank with all those fish!

glad that you like the downgrade though.

Yeah...don't remind me -_-

I am happy with the downgrade. I would be really devastated if I didn't like the Solana so much! It's a great little tank. I also have the money from the big one to really make this one nice. Actually I had some pretty high end equipment on the big tank and its hard to see it all going for so cheap :(

I have packed way too many corals into it I think though. I moved about 4 more SPS colonies over since that last picture. Probably will see what does best in this tank and then weed out the ones I can live without.

Or...keep them all and frag, frag, frag as they grow!

Anyone using dosing pumps on their small tanks? I was planning to get a dosing pump for two part and then just add Mg manually or drip it if I can find a way to do so without seeing it.

Also, what thickness acrylic are people using to make dry boxes for their vortechs? I am thinking 1/4" should be enough but I know with all the heat they create on the dry side, it can crack the acrylic! Just want to be safe since this thing is so expensive.

if you are going to be fraging, sell your stuff here, lots of people buy.

your used gear too if you haven't gotten rid of it yet.

I don't use a dosing pump but I've seen a lot of tanks here that do.

Here are a few pictures of the fish I had to give up :(

It's been hard to let them go!

353.jpg

I still have to find this guy a home. I am being very picky about where they go though. So far haven't found him a suitable home.

bbbbbbb053.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa043.jpg

More fish pics...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa042.jpg

bbbbbbb114.jpg

bbbbbbb116.jpg

bbbbbbb113.jpg

392.jpg

if you are going to be fraging, sell your stuff here, lots of people buy.

your used gear too if you haven't gotten rid of it yet.

I don't use a dosing pump but I've seen a lot of tanks here that do.

Well most of it has all sold.

As for frags I don't mind selling here but I am not sure if I can ship to the US. I am pretty sure I would need a permit but I will look into it when the time comes.

Very nice looking tanks bro. I love the 241g you had, but being a Solana owner myself I'm biased toward your new Solana. I love the corals you stocked it with. Good luck with it and keep posting any new pictures you get.

Bruce

Very nice looking tanks bro. I love the 241g you had, but being a Solana owner myself I'm biased toward your new Solana. I love the corals you stocked it with. Good luck with it and keep posting any new pictures you get.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. Your Solana looks really great! Really fits the room well!

I will keep posting pictures as things progress. Will try to get some today when I am done work. I have noticed some hair algae starting :( Been years since I have dealt with the stuff. I have a feeling both the hair algae and browning of corals is caused by the sudden stop of the ZEOvit system I used on the big tank. May take a while for the corals to adjust and the nutrient levels to get worked out. Checked my RO this morning and it's still making 0 TDS water. Our source water is only 15TDS to begin with.

I put some Rowaphos in the middle back compartment and will do a few water changes this week. NO3 is up a little at about 10ppm! I am assuming all this is due to all the changes especially the ZEO. But I only have three little fish in the tank, so I should be able to get everything under control quickly I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_6686.jpg

IMG_6670.jpg

IMG_6681.jpg

IMG_6671.jpg

IMG_6672.jpg

IMG_6676.jpg

IMG_6663.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6664.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

So my SPS are slowly but surely starting to color up. Any of the ones that have a whitish base color are still quite brown as you can see in the above pictures. It's not too bad but I guess nutrient levels are much higher in the cube than when I was running ZEO in the big tank.

Nitrates are high at about 10 :(

Still have some hair algae to deal with too.

Here is how the room now looks without the big tank.

IMG_6628.jpg

I am really speechless of both your tanks. Just so beautiful and clean.

Thank you :)

The idea was for this one to be a mini version of the big one. I think it pretty much worked out that way. Or will work out that way once everything is happy in their new home.

I will however have to make a decision about the anemone eventually. Maybe in a few months. It's growing pretty fast and will not have enough room as the tank is now.

So either I have to give up the clowns and nem (not likely) or get rid of some rock and corals (more likely). I really hate to have to redo the rockwork since I love it as is now but to keep the anemone, I will have to give it way more room. -_-

lakshwadeep

Those FTSs look sublime with colonies that don't look cramped. The anemone is amazing; sorry to see it go.

Those FTSs look sublime with colonies that don't look cramped. The anemone is amazing; sorry to see it go.

Thanks. Most of the corals have enough room to grow for a while still. They are not doing much growing right now anyways :lol:

I actually don't think I would let the anemone go...I'll have to see how things turn out. I really want to get it off the big rock that its on and put it on a smaller rock. That would put the anemone closer to the bottom where there is a lot more room. The problem is that its really attached well to the big rock :( I don't want to try taking it off I don't think. For now I will just leave it and see what happens.

I have finally spent some time figuring out how to use my camera properly instead of shooting in manual mode. Makes a big difference.

I also decided to take the carpet anemone off that bigger rock and put it on a small rock. I was very nervous but it went very well. Peeled it off the old rock with a credit card and it reattached right away to the new one B)

I also added the MP20 to the tank. Build a dry box to put the dry side in the last compartment. This makes the tank seem bigger :P

And lastly, I have decided this tank needs a skimmer. I am kind of disappointed but being SPS dominated, I think the nutrient levels are going to be unacceptable as they are now. SPS would be fine as the tank is now and certainly grow well but to get the color back, I think I am going to have to start skimming.

It's been about 3 weeks now I think and not much improvement in coloration. After doing some research, I have decided on the Tunze 9002. I know it gets mixed reviews but I think many people who have problems do not have an ATO and let the water fluctuate too much. I would actually prefer the Euro Reef nano skimmer but it would stick out of the top and that's not going to work. I don't want to see a skimmer!

Some new pics from a few days ago.

_MG_6750.jpg

_MG_6777.jpg

I think this one has a lot of promise. I haven't had it long but if it colors up, it might be really nice. Pretty dull now but I want to document it as the months go on.

_MG_6741.jpg

This is a good example of why I know I need a skimmer. Nutrient levels are obviously unacceptable at this point. You can see polyp extension is still great and even the base color is ok (a little dark though) but the polyps are BROWN. These used to be a nice light purple.

_MG_6742.jpg

Most of the corals are like the above. Nice polyp extension but brown or dull :( Even my yellow gorgonains are now brown!!!

this is my favorite tank on this site by far i think its blows every bodys away its gorgeous congrats

by the way iam basingm y new house off your living room i love it its soon clean and contemperary!

TriggerHappyDude

Mind showing some pictures of your dry dock?

Did you consider Sapphire Aquatics Skimmer for the Solana? I can vouch for it, its amazing.

this is my favorite tank on this site by far i think its blows every bodys away its gorgeous congrats

by the way iam basingm y new house off your living room i love it its soon clean and contemperary!

Thank you for the compliments...I have to say there are many nice tanks on here that I think are easily nicer though. I have been able to grow these corals in a large system for a while now and when downgrading it gave the solana an already full look. Actually there is really too much rock and coral in the tank I think.

My anemone is kind of suffering from lack of enough light at the moment :( I think this weekend I have to move some rocks around and give it some more space. I really, really, really don't want to because I love the rocks as they are but today I can really notice the anemone stretching itself up and towards the light. The big flat rock is shading it too much :(

Thanks again.

Mind showing some pictures of your dry dock?

Did you consider Sapphire Aquatics Skimmer for the Solana? I can vouch for it, its amazing.

Sure the dry dock is quite ugly though to be honest. I used so much extra silicone to be safe. Not pretty but functional. I will have to take some pictures tomorrow for you.

I did consider the Sapphire but I can't get it locally and shipping made it a little expensive. If I am being honest, I am not too impressed with any of the nano skimmers other than the EuroReef and Deltec both of which I had reasons for not choosing. I think I have been spoiled over the years with large in sump skimmers :P It was nice not to have to spend $1000 plus on a skimmer this time though!

If I had a higher bioload and wasn't committed to the weekly water changes, I would worry more about the Tunze skimmer but for my purposes, it will do just fine. I really think I could have stayed skimmerless with some success so any skimming is a bonus.

Sorry long answer to a simple question but I know people are going to talk about how terrible the Tunze 9002 is B)

• 3 weeks later...

Been a little while...

IMG_6996.jpg

IMG_6977.jpg

_MG_7003.jpg

_MG_7009.jpg

My only complaint about the Solana is the textured back wall! I wish it were smooth so I could scrap the coraline off. I hate how 'dirty' the back wall is getting :(

Looks great....I think I like your current scape the best. Should look simply amazing once those SPS grow out even more.

How many pieces make up that main "island?"

IMG_6977.jpg

I seriously need someone to come aquascape my tank.........any plans on a trip to Edmonton :D I love this scape. I always use way too much rock.

What is the little yellow striped fish?

lookin' good...

Thanks!

Looks great....I think I like your current scape the best. Should look simply amazing once those SPS grow out even more.

How many pieces make up that main "island?"

Thanks. Actually some of the nicest SPS are still just tiny frags, so I really hope they grow out soon. I have had many of these colonies since they were also small frags.

For the main island, do you mean how many pieces of rock or coral? For rock there are just two rocks. One really big base rock (with the large montipora confusa encrusted) and a much smaller flat rock on top.

For corals...hmmmm...there are 12 acros in the tank (mostly on top of that rock), a few gorgonians, some palys, zoas, a small torch and a frogspawn. So its SPS dominated.

For inverts, a clam, anemone, small conch, 2 peppermint shrimp, 4 snails (many baby snails now)

For fish there are the clown pair and the Fang Blenny. I feed them every day pellets and then mysis soaked in vitamins a few times a week. I also feed the anemone chopped up fresh seafood once or twice a week and the fish usually get a bunch of that food too.

I seriously need someone to come aquascape my tank.........any plans on a trip to Edmonton :D I love this scape. I always use way too much rock.

What is the little yellow striped fish?

Well I had a lot of rock too but just removed it and really, this scape is much more about the corals that the rocks. The bare rocks would look really boring actually. I think its more about getting the corals in the right place and thinking of how they are going to grow.

That fish is a Fang Blenny. Very cool fish. He is actually quite friendly. They do have a little poison in their bite though, so you have to kind of be careful.

Archived