inTank Media Baskets

Appy's Solana Photo Journal

Appaloosa1224

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
forrestp38829

Goodness! I love ur tank! I just moved and had to leave my Solana with my mother. I shudder to think what it looks like now.

Appaloosa1224

Thanks! New additions today!

pinkzoas-5.jpg

5-27-09454.jpg

And some other photos

clam-6.jpg

clam2-4.jpg

ric-1.jpg

ric2-2.jpg

ric3-3.jpg

Rics will be moving into their own tank soon!

Appaloosa1224
This tank is full of awesome! Are you running a 150 or 250 w MH?

Thanks! I'm running a 150w MH.

Appaloosa1224

I moved my ricordea to the new 5.5g today. Now I have more room for LPS! I moved some things around and bought a small lobo. I've been keeping an eye on it for a while and finally had the room for it today. I moved the monti since it was interfering with the growth of the zoas and cloves nearby it. That opened up room for my sinularia and a zoa frag to come up front. I'll get some pictures of those zoas when they open up tomorrow.

Lobo- I hope it colors up nicely. This photo doens't show it's true colors well. I'll have to take a top down photo of it

6-5-09011.jpg

6-5-09039.jpg

Still getting good growth on this

6-5-09043.jpg

FTS

6-5-09044.jpg

the 5.5g

6-5-09052.jpg

that bubble sure is growing fast!!! my green bubble outgrew my 24 aquapod in 6 months, si beware of its reach in terms of stinging inhabitants. LOVE the pics! im gotta buy a Dslr for my minolta lenses so i can get in on pics like these...

Appaloosa1224

The bubble really hasn't grown much since I bought it. It's just a matter of whether it is expanded fully when I photograph the tank. I had problems with it stinging, so I seperated it with a rock from the rest of the sand bed. That's been working for me so far.

I don't run a chiller. I actually have to have a heater in the tank! It doesn't get above 80*

KaTy~SoLaNa

You said you dont run a chiller what is your trick in keeping rhe temp so low my solana would get to 84 sometimes stock it is in a cool dork place dont understand why. any help would be great Thanks~

Appaloosa1224

I don't use a glass top on the tank. I bought the tank off a friend and he broke the glass lid so I bought a window screen to stop my clownfish from jumping.

kotoeloncat
I don't use a glass top on the tank. I bought the tank off a friend and he broke the glass lid so I bought a window screen to stop my clownfish from jumping.

Where are you located and do you run A/C to keep the tank under 80 ?

The reason I am asking is that I am really looking into getting the same tank, only I am not keen on getting a chiller.

Aestetically I prefer this to the JBJ 28 galon

thoughts ?

Appaloosa1224

I live in GA, so it gets really hot. The tank also gets direct sunlight. I don't know what the A/C is set at since I'm living with my parents for the summer. Probably around 72 or so.

I use eggcrate for a top to prevent fish jumping. My plan is to use a screen instead but for now the egg crate is fine. I use a quad Azoo fan for cooling. My NYC apartment gets quite hot. It has hot 80+ with the windows closed and the tank stays below 80'.

• 1 month later...
Appaloosa1224

A few updates.

First off, I lost about half of my ricordea. I don't know why, they just disappeared. I think the rest will be fine though.

I also bought a small Splendid Leopard Wrasse. He's a great fish, very active and fat. He eats frozen, but is not on flake yet.

157-1.jpg

110.jpg

106.jpg

084-3.jpg

086-1.jpg

153-1.jpg

123-2.jpg

046-1.jpg

049-2.jpg

085-3.jpg

013-3.jpg

086-1.jpg

153-1.jpg

123-2.jpg

046-1.jpg

049-2.jpg

085-3.jpg

013-3.jpg

TriggerHappyDude
Thanks! I bought a diopter set off of ebay for $15. They are cheap, but they work well! I need to buy another +10 diopter since I lost mine.

I just found my tripod in the back seat of my truck, so I'm taking some photos using that now. I'll post them later!

Hate to dig up an old topic, but what is a diopter? To me thats the little micro adjuster in the view finder of my camera, are you sure you don't mean a macro lens? I'm still trying to figure out what you are using to get these detailed close up shots, without a macro lens? Can you share a link to what you are using?

Ok and so these just go on any normal lens? Or a macro lens you have?

hey trigga! what kind of camera are you using? I'm thinking about to buy a camera but don't know what kind yet? any suggestion?

*Sorry for the thread hack but just got to find the answer quick! thanks! :)

TriggerHappyDude
hey trigga! what kind of camera are you using? I'm thinking about to buy a camera but don't know what kind yet? any suggestion?

*Sorry for the thread hack but just got to find the answer quick! thanks! :)

I've got a Canon 5D Mark II, there is a thread in the photography section on it.

yep, they just go on your regular lense

Cool, I see now, they are like filters that magnify. Nice.

• 2 weeks later...
Appaloosa1224

I reaquascaped last week. I like the looks of it, but need to move the bubble and the orange monti needs to be raised an inch or two for my preference.

253.jpg

255.jpg

250.jpg

New frag of blue zoas

207.jpg

Finally found a good spot for this guy

230.jpg

These are still growing like mad

246.jpg

Got this cute sequence of Sexy trying to reach another rock and then giving up

199.jpg

201.jpg

202-1.jpg

203.jpg

in your above comment "Finally found a good spot for this guy" the picture below....what kind of coral is that i have had one for about 2-3 months now that started with 4 'head/polyps' and now has 8 ish?

Archived