Pod Your Reef

Yellowtail Damsels in a Pico

ColoradoNano

ColoradoNano

I have been looking at possible fish to house in my 3G pico....of course there are various gobyies that you can choose from but ive seen a couple people with Yellowtail damsels I love that look of this fish alot more then some of the gobies ive seen around.

Just wanted to know the people that have these fish share your expierences

el fabuloso

Yellowtail damsels are awesome, I highly recommend them. Their active nature and vivid color adds a lot of life to a small tank and they're surprisingly peaceful and mild-mannered for a damsel.

Yellowtail damsels are awesome, I highly recommend them. Their active nature and vivid color adds a lot of life to a small tank and they're surprisingly peaceful and mild-mannered for a damsel.

^^ dead on. I added one to my 5.5 and he never stops moving. Very beautiful and outgoing it hops around the tank all day eatting pods off the glass. They definitly give you something to watch as they are always out in the open and never stationary. Also they have the added benefit of being damsel bulletproof :)

el fabuloso

Funny thing about mine is that he's learned to chase off the peppermint shrimp during feeding time. I used to always have a problem with my peppermint shrimp during feeding cuz he would steal food from corals so I had to constantly chase him off with my tongs. Nowadays my damsel does the chasing for me which is cute and funny to watch. :happy:

BLoCkCliMbeR

the price is right....3-5 bucks for a good "pet" fish......if you can deal with only having one...the 20+ price tag alot of gobies fetch is what stopped me from getting one......i only need a fish for pod control

addicted2reefin

yea i have a yellowtail blue in my 3 gallon. he got put there as a temporary home, but kinda got attactched to him there. i was a little concerned since it is an active fish, but has shown no signs of stress. dont put anything else in there with it tho, as i have a clown goby with him, since it was getting beat up in my 20 gallon, and the damsel has been beating it up. the goby is getting moved.

I want a yellow tail damsel now!! :lol: Though I dunno, those panda gobies are pretty darn cute.

sorry about your clown goby, addicted.

I want a yellow tail damsel now!! :lol: Though I dunno, those panda gobies are pretty darn cute.

sorry about your clown goby, addicted.

Goby's are great but in a pico where you don't have much space they kinda hop around and tick off zoas and softy's. Main reason i love the damsel he never touches anything but is constantly moving so you always have something to watch. I love gobys but so far my cheapest fish the damsel is my fav :D

travisurfer

I still think YTDs get a bit too big for picos. While they may tolerate it quite well, they do eventually grow rather large for a tank that small.

Love yellow-tail damsels, I have one in my 5.5g pico and two in my 20g nano. Great fish - intelligent, active, does not bother any coral, shrimp, crabs or snails. I feed them twice per week.

I had one in a JBJ picotope for a year and he did great.

I agree that this fish is an excellent nano choice. I know people say that they get too big but in my opinion they do not, and the positives far outweigh the negatives. I'm thinking about switching my 4.5 gallon office cube back to saltwater from freshwater and getting a yellow tail damsel again.

They're such a stress free fish for a pico. Unlike gobies, which are a lot easier to kill.

I had one in a JBJ picotope for a year and he did great.

I agree that this fish is an excellent nano choice. I know people say that they get too big but in my opinion they do not, and the positives far outweigh the negatives. I'm thinking about switching my 4.5 gallon office cube back to saltwater from freshwater and getting a yellow tail damsel again.

They're such a stress free fish for a pico. Unlike gobies, which are a lot easier to kill.

Speaking of tough, my daughter just scared my yellowtail and he jumped out and flopped onto my desk. Scooped him up and put him back in and 10 mins later hes eatting and all fat and happy. Crazy little fish!

I've got one too, in a 5.5. It also survived a carpet surf, no worse for wear (fortunately my gf was walking by when he jumped).

Oh yeah, mine eats flatworms. had a major infestation and he was eating them within 5 min of being put in the tank. There's still some left, in the cracks where he can reach, but he keeps them pretty well grazed.

I do agree that a 3 gal is a little small for a fish, but if you need one a YTD is probably one of the better to handle it, as they dont seem to get too stressed about anything.

MGDMIRAGE
I've got one too, in a 5.5. It also survived a carpet surf, no worse for wear (fortunately my gf was walking by when he jumped).

Oh yeah, mine eats flatworms. had a major infestation and he was eating them within 5 min of being put in the tank. There's still some left, in the cracks where he can reach, but he keeps them pretty well grazed.

I do agree that a 3 gal is a little small for a fish, but if you need one a YTD is probably one of the better to handle it, as they dont seem to get too stressed about anything.

Exactly, while they may be too large once fully grown they are probably the hardiest fish you could keep in a pico. In a small system when stability could change in the blink of an eye who better to cope with it than i damsel?

GentleBen

I agree the YTD is a great little fish! My Emerald Crab wondered into his home and he just swam over and pushed him out with his nose. Never tried to bite the crab and as soon as he pushed him out of his home he went about his business.

Archived