Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My newly acquired RSM 34G! (Pics)

outcastjra

Hi to All,

This my newly acquired RSM 34G. I think it’s the older model. So time for the story behind the tank.

My first Reef Tank was an Aquapod 24. I started with a stock brand new one. I then upgraded to the 150 MH sunpod for lighting. It went good for a year. I had my issues and learned many lessons! I didn’t like the acrylic tank due to scratches. Its Very Easy to scratch. With my OCD issue (most guys have it) I had to change. So I upgraded to a 65 Gallon Mixed Reef with a 10 Gallon Sump. Its doing GREAT, and I love it to death! However its my Man Room ie the computer room of our house. So I want something in my living room that I can look at while commercials come on. So I was looking for another NANO! I have been looking for a month or so when I found a deal on Craigslist. My first RSM. It came with 50 lbs of live rock. A few coral like- 2 feather dusters, mixed colony of zoos, many shrooms, a nice ric, a hammer head, a frog spawn, some gsp, and some xenia! Also it came with 2 clowns (one of which that will jump out of the water time after time to bite you), a coral beauty, and a hawk fish. Also there’s a purple lobster. He thought it died months ago until we took out the rocks. Also in the deal I got tons of food, tools, and test kits. The bad part is I had to do this kind of late at night. So a 30 min drive there and back. I finished getting it in place in our living room at 11pm or so. The next day I came home from work and did some water tests. Here’s what I got.

Temp- 79.9

Salinity- 1.030

Ammonia- .025

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate-0

PH- 7.8

Calcium- 460

Alkalinity- 7

Phosphate- 1

Mag- 1300

So today I did a 10 gallon water change. I adjusted the PH and Alk to the levels I like.

I also added some Phosphate remover, and a bag of Chemipure. I noticed some red slime and addressed that issue with some treatment yesterday. To top everything off I added in 10 lbs or toga rock. I noticed there were no snails, so I bought 5 Large and 7 small turbo snails today too! With all of that said we will see how the tank comes along. I would like to point out that there are no Bio Balls either. Which is good I know! Please let me know if you think I got a good deal at just 300 bucks!!! The pics below are from yesterday! Things have changed!!!

Thanks for lookiquireng and I will update with newer pics!

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

I didn’t like the acrylic tank due to scratches. Its Very Easy to scratch. Wi

Umm, the aguapod 24 is a glass tank. I have one sitting right in front of me.???

Gromet

Quick question. I have been looking at all the RSM's on here, and there are a lot of sweet ones!

But I'm looking to see what works under the stock lights? I see some people have some SPS, Clams, etc. Are the stock likghts strong enough for those?

Thanks

Joel

Quick question. I have been looking at all the RSM's on here, and there are a lot of sweet ones!

But I'm looking to see what works under the stock lights? I see some people have some SPS, Clams, etc. Are the stock likghts strong enough for those?

Thanks

Joel

Welcome to RSM-Land!

Take a look for StevieT's thread on his RSM build. He recently changed over lighting, but ran stock for a very long time and kept a clam and certain SPS under the stock lighting.

Good luck!

Do it right. The MH upgrade was the best thing I ever did to my RSM. The stock lights are strong enough for some, but with SPS, why limit yourself?

gulfsurfer101
:huh:

Gromet's right. Aquapods are glass, not acrylic.

+1 to that and even though it's glass it does scratch pretty easily.

Needreefunds

Sweet score at $300 IMO

Just a few suggestions...

Try aiming the Hydor a bit more toward the front glass and it may help with the cyano build up in that left fron corner. Aim one of the outlets toward the surface for some surface agitation. On the older RSM folks needed to run the water level a bit below the upper tank trim to get good surface skimming, from the pics it looks like the level is above the intake grid. And you can put your temperature probe in the back chamber, no need to see it dangling in the display ;) Not trying to be picky, just some tips is all. :)

Good luck with your Max.

and BTW......I have several SPS in my Max, its still a bit early to tell, but they seem to be doing well so far.

Good PE and they have kept their color. Decent growth as well.

As Nugget suggested, check out StevieT's thread. It got a bit Jacked up, but there is an index on the first page that is very helpful. Stevie's thread set the Max hook in me. :P

HTH some

--Richie

Awesome thanks for the comments. The AP24 is glass. Everything I read said so as well. I guess with the easy scratching I thought it was not glass. WOW...

My RSM is going really good now. Its cleaned up a lot. I will update with some more photos today.

Thanks a lot everyone!

I was also worried about the heater effecting the temp. I will up that in a back chamber.

Thanks for adding me to the oweners thread. Now I'm a part of the Nano World again! Yeahhhh!!!

Quick update- Everything is going Great! The 12 Snails that I have in the tank now has done some serious work in 36 hours or so! A lot of the green is gone! I will have to take and post some pics once the lights come on today! Thanks to all that are viewing this tread!

Hi to all,

My tank has settled in nicely, and its a real joy to look at! Like I said the snails are doing a great gob and they are having a feast. I will do some more water tests this afternoon and post the results on here.

Needless to say I'm very happy!!! The only thing I have added is the Toga rock, and snails. The rest of it only ran me 300 BUCKS! What a great buy! I look forward to your comments.

Thanks

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3820.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

IMG_3793.jpg

As you can see from those pics things are getting better!

I did the tests just now and here's what I got-

Temp- 81.4

Salinity- 1.028

Ammonia- .025

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate-0

PH- 8.0

Calcium- 500+

Alkalinity- 12

Phosphate- 0

This is what it was 2 days ago-

Temp- 79.9

Salinity- 1.030

Ammonia- .025

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate-0

PH- 7.8

Calcium- 460

Alkalinity- 7

Phosphate- 1

Mag- 1300

Still some work to do on my water, but I'll get it there slowly!

Thanks for viewing!

Archived