Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

yellow sand

bill109

hey everyone.

i set up a pico on april 10.

it has all been good till yesterday.

my sand has a yellow tint to it. when i just move the top layer of sand around it all gets mixed up and back to white.

i havent seen a spec of algae untill the 22..

i user my own RO/DI water. this has 0 phosphates.

i have a current usa dual satelite (bought it new so its not bulbs) and the 9 W 50/50 on the back of the ac 70 when the lights are ON

the filter that comes with the jbj pico i havent changed any media and i also run in addition to the stock filter a AC 70 With a filter floss pad and some cheato in there.

i had come rock that had to moved around in the tank so i disturbed alot in the tank.

iwill test tomorrow and get back here and reply with the readings but from experience or maybe someone with more knowledge than i, help me here?

i have WC water ready to go for tomorrow as well if my readings are the unexpected.

heres are a few pics of the system

P4210326.jpg

P4210325.jpg

P4210322.jpg

P4210320.jpg

P4210318.jpg

P4210316.jpg

thanks for your time

-bill

Sound like you might be cycling... diatoms maybe?

i went through a mini cycle,

everything came out of a established tank

i have a 90g DT as well..

its not diatoms. it is a yellow. like the color of algae when you look at the glass from an angle where you see the light yellowish greeen color.

diatoms are usually just that brown color? or can it vary to the algae color? it could be another mini cycle with all tht stuff in the tank being moved around since it is new it could be a mini cycle?

yeah i would say diatoms too. i set a tank uparound the same time with everything out of my 2 years old 12g and i'm getting yellow diatoms right now too. thy will be brown in the next few days. get some crabs to eat it up.

Archived