ReefCleaners.org

How to smooth sharp glass edges?

Waterproof

I cut a piece of cheap Lowes glass to serve as a glass top on a 2.5 gal pico. What's the easiest way for me to remove the sharp edges so I don't cut myself in the future? A dremmel bit? sandpaper? other? Thanks!

Sandpaper, midgrain.

...on a sanding block/piece of wood so you don't cut yourself after it cuts through the paper.

Most people and shops use Emery (emory?) paper. Usually a bit thicker than regular sandpaper too. Works dry, but much better wet. I don't run it along the edge, lengthwise, I bring the strip down over the edge in a U shape and draw it down back & forth either side, so it sands perpendicular to the edge, instead of parallel.

I have a diamond hone that I've been using lately (wet), also does the job just fine.

Thanks for all the response. I was going to use sandpaper, but then remembered that I have a sander bit for my dremmel. That worked great and was very fast. Finally, I've found a use for that bit! I tell ya, the dremmel is my absolute favorite tool. Thanks again!

J.

I was going to say dremel.

High speed,high grit to polish it after you remove the bulk of the glass with a lower grit abrasive.

I have a small set of diamond files with different shapes that worked very well when I chipped my lid. I have several diamond sharpeners that would have worked also but not as easily. The dremmel is a good choice just remember to wear safety goggles. If a piece of glass gets in your eye there is no easy way to remove it. With iron they use a magnet. Everything non magnetic is a lot harder to get out of your eye.

masterbuilder
...on a sanding block/piece of wood so you don't cut yourself after it cuts through the paper.

Exactly. Will make a nice straight sanded edge too. Without the block wont look as good. #1 rule of sanding...never sand without a block.

Archived