Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TJ's Reef - The death of the...

TJ_Burton

Wow....sweet diagram of the tank and stand. I agree that it's going to look great once it's finished. Should have a nice sleek, polished, look to it overall.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, as I'm sure you are as well.

-Adam

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow....sweet diagram of the tank and stand. I agree that it's going to look great once it's finished. Should have a nice sleek, polished, look to it overall.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, as I'm sure you are as well.

-Adam

Thanks, hopefully it translates well into reality.

I am really eager to get this thing together. The reno is taking more time then I expected as most people find when renovating a room built by previous owners. I tore the old paper laminated chipboard walls down only to find one hell of a mess with the framing (they used a lot of warped studs and shimmed the crap out of them) as well as with the electical work which had to be completely redone thanks to some idiot not following the code.

That aside, I have finished sanding the drywall and will be priming/painting/installing flooring/casing/door jams this weekend.

The tank should be running by Christmas. I am actually going to take a bunch of livestock from my Solana at work for this tank, and the rest I will pretty much rely on donations and very inexpensive frags. My goal with this system is automation and stability. I want everything to work well enough that I can leave for a month and not have to worry.

Should be good. Turns out I am going to probably do a sump system after all and ditch the tom. I need to do this right regardless, if it takes a bit longer because I am waiting for funds: so be it.

I am really eager to get this thing together. The reno is taking more time then I expected as most people find when renovating a room built by previous owners. I tore the old paper laminated chipboard walls down only to find one hell of a mess with the framing (they used a lot of warped studs and shimmed the crap out of them) as well as with the electical work which had to be completely redone thanks to some idiot not following the code.

Ah yes...always nice to pull back the curtains only to find a mess that someone else made. At least you're doing the smart thing and getting everything up to par, if not better.

The tank should be running by Christmas. I am actually going to take a bunch of livestock from my Solana at work for this tank, and the rest I will pretty much rely on donations and very inexpensive frags. My goal with this system is automation and stability. I want everything to work well enough that I can leave for a month and not have to worry.

Should be good. Turns out I am going to probably do a sump system after all and ditch the tom. I need to do this right regardless, if it takes a bit longer because I am waiting for funds: so be it.

I definitely understand what you mean about taking the time to get everything you want from the get-go instead of just piecing things together. I'm on my 3rd tank now and I think my next tank will be pretty much exactly what I want. Not that I'm planning anything new now, it's just that you learn so much from previous tanks. Slow and steady wins the race....

I look forward to seeing and hearing about the progress over the next month or so. How is the office Solana doing?

-Adam

Ah yes...always nice to pull back the curtains only to find a mess that someone else made. At least you're doing the smart thing and getting everything up to par, if not better.

I definitely understand what you mean about taking the time to get everything you want from the get-go instead of just piecing things together. I'm on my 3rd tank now and I think my next tank will be pretty much exactly what I want. Not that I'm planning anything new now, it's just that you learn so much from previous tanks. Slow and steady wins the race....

I look forward to seeing and hearing about the progress over the next month or so. How is the office Solana doing?

-Adam

The office Solana is doing pretty good. Had to get rid of some livestock as I was running out of room. The two larger clams (teardrop maxi and crocea) were sold, as well as some of the SPS and other stuff. I will post pics on the Solana thread soon.

Got some more work on the aquarium stand done today! The room is almost done, need to finish the baseboards, hang the closet door, paint the baseboards and doors, and that is pretty much that. The stand will probably be finished later tonight less painting. Here are some shots to tide you over with till its all done.

The last pic is of a pair of large 36" tall pictures that have been in the family for a while. I managed to snag them away from my dad who has had them stored in a garage for far too long. Hopefully they will help set off the aquatic theme of the room along with some of Lani's photography!

post-7376-1259171308_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1259171319_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1259171334_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1259171343_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1259171351_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1259171361_thumb.jpg

NorthCoralNewB

TJ Myagi Your Walls Are Blue and Your Tank is empty... Wax on Wax Off.

Keep me updated with moooooo Fotos

Good Job & Keep up the Goord Work

You will soon be Certified PD Pimp

Some more progress on the stand. Still needs paint/stain and the plumbing cover to be rebuilt.

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

And the accent wall and pictures to be hung

IMG_0251.jpg

Very close to complete! I can soon start putting the tank's guts together.

NorthCoralNewB

Awesome!!!

Let me know once your tank is cycled. I'm willing to donate the following:

Purple Death

Nuclear Green

Dragon Eyes

Sunset Horizons (AS MANY AS YOU WANT )

Black People Eaters

Japanese Deep Water Zoas (Two Varieties)

One small Frag of Green Nephthea

Can't wait to see your aquascaping!

NR Says, "We are Waiting for the Return of Our Masta"

TJ Miyagi Says, "Do you want to learn the way of the reef?"

NR Says, "YES"

TJ Miyagi Says, "Then I am your Masta"

Awesome!!!

Let me know once your tank is cycled. I'm willing to donate the following:

Purple Death

Nuclear Green

Dragon Eyes

Sunset Horizons (AS MANY AS YOU WANT )

Black People Eaters

Japanese Deep Water Zoas (Two Varieties)

One small Frag of Green Nephthea

Can't wait to see your aquascaping!

NR Says, "We are Waiting for the Return of Our Masta"

TJ Miyagi Says, "Do you want to learn the way of the reef?"

NR Says, "YES"

TJ Miyagi Says, "Then I am your Masta"

Wow really? That would be awesome! Thanks :)

Hahaha you always crack me up with your freaking Karate Kid references...

That looks so nice bro!!! I wish I could do woodworking/carpentry!

It really isn't all that hard - could easily walk you through it some time. Thanks for the kind words though.

Wow....things are really picking up speed and the results are great. That stand and tank combo is awesome. I agree that your carpentry/woodworking skills are really great....nice and clean lines and it's going to look great painted/stained.

Is the part of the stand to the right/left of the tank to hide the overflow? If so, great idea.

-Adam

Wow....things are really picking up speed and the results are great. That stand and tank combo is awesome. I agree that your carpentry/woodworking skills are really great....nice and clean lines and it's going to look great painted/stained.

Is the part of the stand to the right/left of the tank to hide the overflow? If so, great idea.

-Adam

Thanks! Once I get the ball rolling I usually gain some momentum and stop procrastinating lol. I should have the stand done by the weekend's end.

...and you are correct, that box is to cover plumbing but will lift off to allow complete access.

Well the basement for the most part is completed. Most of my furniture etc. is down there, and I have very little left to do to the room (some minor paint touch ups etc.) other than get the tank going ;)

I will through up som pictures tonight after I clean things up a bit. I can finally get the show on the road with the plumbing and hang the light! I have already ordered the black acrylic overflow panel, should be getting it in a few days.

Congrats on completing the reno of the basement, except for getting the tank going. Can't wait to see this up and rolling.

-Adam

Thanks, I am really looking forward to getting it going as well.

Tagging along here. You have done a fantastic job so far. Well done!!!!

Why thank you sir. Glad to have you here!

Here are some pics of where the stand is at now. Next photos should hopefully be pics of me getting some of the plumbing done. I have been working on the solaris a bit. The fans are functional, but not that quiet. Two of the four fans are starting to get a whine to them, and I don't feel like letting it progress, or listening to it at all lol. I am going to pick up some decent fans tonight, maybe some with blue LEDs for the "pimp factor" lol

On with the pics!

(the last pic is my collection of coral/clam skeletons that I have collected over the last 6 or 7 years)

post-7376-1259778364_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1259778393_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1259778401_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1259778410_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome man.

Man this is a sweet build!!!

Lookin' great TJ!!!

B)

Thanks guys!

So I was messing around with the Solaris tonight, trying to see how high I am going to hang it etc. and decided to snap some shots of this sucker bleeding light all over my room lol. There is no water in the tank so I'm sure that isn't helping...

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

Lastly, the reason I put dimmer switches in my room:

DSC_0336.jpg

Pimp'n ain't easy ;)

Lastly, the reason I put dimmer switches in my room:

DSC_0336.jpg

Pimp'n ain't easy ;)

It may not be easy but you my friend have it down to a science!!!! Well done!!!

It may not be easy but you my friend have it down to a science!!!! Well done!!!

Hahaha, too bad they don't teach "Pimpology" in University/College. I could have had a future career as a prof!

you can almost make out something going down in the bed back there lol

I didn't think anyone would notice that... :blink:

Hahaha, funny.

Seriously sweet. When are you going to add water to this beast?

Should have the tank cycling before Christmas if all goes according to plan.

NorthCoralNewB
Hahaha, too bad they don't teach "Pimpology" in University/College. I could have had a future career as a prof!

I didn't think anyone would notice that... :blink:

Hahaha, funny.

NO NO DANIEL Sohn! Those who can not pimp, teach... You have much too learn young grass hopper...

I will say though you get the Official NR Pimp Slap Award.

Also I also give you some of my Purple Polyp Pink/Green Birdsnest that I saw you eyeing down lol... This birdsnest puts the extension on Polyp extension :) Awesome Pics!

Archived