Pod Your Reef

TJ's Reef - The death of the...

TJ_Burton

Well, I figured I would post some pics of the Solaris I4's guts... Everything inside is pretty much plug and play; easy to take apart and reassemble. This was a 6' fixture, and I have cut the housing down to 24" (very, very poorly I might add). I will have to take it to a shop and have the ends fixed up a bit cause they are jagged as all hell.

Hopefully I will have the pics of it all put back together and lit up by next week!

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126-1.jpg

IMG_0128-1.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130-1.jpg

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You scored on the Solaris.

I really did.

I payed less then $100 for the fixture. Two working power supplys, four complete arrays, and some spare parts...

I couldn't have built anything close to it for the price I payed. You know what they say, "one mans trash is another mans treasure"

Great job TJ any other reef updates do you have your tank running yet? Have you talked to the guy you sold your 40 breeder to maybe you could get a couple frags back of your old stuff if he'd cut you a deal

Great job TJ any other reef updates do you have your tank running yet? Have you talked to the guy you sold your 40 breeder to maybe you could get a couple frags back of your old stuff if he'd cut you a deal

Nothing running yet, just slowly getting everything together. Unfortunately that gentleman has dropped off the face of the earth. I have no idea what happened to him or my aquarium. Last I heard, he had cracked the tank before he set it up and then purchased a new aquarium. After that there was just dead silence.

I am going to take things nice and slow, not rush anything. Patients is key in this hobby so I am just going to exercise them early! lol.

Bingo! I have light! ;)

The fixture was cut to 23.75" and is pretty tight, but with a little tinkering I think it will work fine. There are 4 fans, and only 2 will work at a time, as the other two were meant to run off a second power supply - I might try wiring them all together so they all work, but I am iffy about that - not sure if it will cause problems or not. If it isn't possible I will just run one fan at each end and remove the other two.

Other than that all is well! The computer is still working, and all the programing still functions perfectly. Probably have it all back together and completed this week.

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0137-1.jpg

IMG_0136-1.jpg

IMG_0138-1.jpg

Nice. Did you end up getting that thermal material I was talking about?

I did, hasn't come in yet though. Hopefully before the week is over!

Do you think it will cause any issues on the power supply to run all 4 fans if I spliced them together? Currently it will only run two.

Great job on tearing the Solaris apart, cutting it down to size, and reassembling. Looks really great and I'm sure it's going to be great over your tank eventually.

As I'm sure you are as well, I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together for you. Your 40br was one of my all time favs.

-Adam

Hope this tank turns out as good as the 40 TJ. Your tank was a HUGE inspiration for me with my 40brd, I might not even have a 40brd if it weren't for you!

Great job on tearing the Solaris apart, cutting it down to size, and reassembling. Looks really great and I'm sure it's going to be great over your tank eventually.

As I'm sure you are as well, I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together for you. Your 40br was one of my all time favs.

-Adam

Hope this tank turns out as good as the 40 TJ. Your tank was a HUGE inspiration for me with my 40brd, I might not even have a 40brd if it weren't for you!

Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Still exploring my options, but I think I may actually decide to go with a Perfecto 30 Breeder (30x18x13). Only downfall is the bottom is tempered so all plumbing would be in the back panel. That really doesn't matter too much considering my 40br had enough holes in the rear panel lol.

I am just trying to figure out how I am going to plumb it, if I am going to plumb it, etc. before I actually pick one up.

I also finished the light, I will post some pics of that a little later on!

Solaris is complete!!!

So all said and done it works beautifully. Very excited to have some corals under this! So basically all I did was cut the 6' fixture down to 24", drill a 5/8" hole for the power cord, swap out banks to make two complete arrays, splice the fans together so the run off the same power supply, use a thermal tape/adhesive to stick the LED banks back to the heat sinks, use some paint thinner to widen the clear areas on the acrylic cover, and put the whole thing back together again!

Voila! 24" Solaris!!!

Pics:

SolarisOff.jpg

SolarisOffAngle.jpg

SolarisController.jpg

IMG_0076-1.jpg

IMG_0080-1.jpg

LEDArrayon.jpg

Wow friggin' awesome job on the light man, looks perfect!

sweeeeet

Thanks guys! I was really happy with how it came out. It took a little longer then I expected it to but it was worth the wait. Now I just need to get the rest of it going.

This is going to be awesome. Might I suggest something? Check out this tank http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_Rectan...-FIAQRA-vi.html 24X 18X18, low iron glass and frameless... Considerably cheaper than an ADA as well. PurpleUP is picking one up, but it looks like something that might make a pretty breathtaking display. Plus it's a bit taller so you don't scorch your softies as much in a 13" tall tank...

This is going to be awesome. Might I suggest something? Check out this tank http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_Rectan...-FIAQRA-vi.html 24X 18X18, low iron glass and frameless... Considerably cheaper than an ADA as well. PurpleUP is picking one up, but it looks like something that might make a pretty breathtaking display. Plus it's a bit taller so you don't scorch your softies as much in a 13" tall tank...

That is a nice tank, I will consider it! Shipping is going to suck because I am in Canada though.

• 3 weeks later...

TJ, looking forward to this build coming together. I really liked your last tank; this one should be just as nice.

A mostly softie reef would be something to see - as much as I like SPS, recently I've come to like a lot of the softies too, mostly xenids. Hopefully in a few months my blue cespitularia could be fragged - maybe it can find a home with you. I've also got some powder blue anthelia, and a pulsing xenia with super long polyps. Somethings to think about :)

• 3 weeks later...
Any updates TJ?

Yep! Sorry for the delay!

TJ, looking forward to this build coming together. I really liked your last tank; this one should be just as nice.

A mostly softie reef would be something to see - as much as I like SPS, recently I've come to like a lot of the softies too, mostly xenids. Hopefully in a few months my blue cespitularia could be fragged - maybe it can find a home with you. I've also got some powder blue anthelia, and a pulsing xenia with super long polyps. Somethings to think about :)

That would be really cool! I think blue xenids are real show pieces as far as softies go. I am also a big fan of blue anthelia! Thankfully you are in the GTA cause xenids don't ship very well :P

UPDATE:

"So TJ, why haven't you gotten this damn tank started already?"

Well, to be honest I had bought a motorcycle which set me back about $5,500 which obviously pulled some funds away from my reef obsession.

"Ok, that makes sense. Do you have any other excuses for taking your sweet time?"

Actually I do! I am renovating my basement where the old 40br was, and have decided that I want to renovate the new tank into the room as a partial divider. (more or less just have it jut out from the wall and be viewd as a 3 sided tank). I will be doing those renovations shortly which has prompted me to finally update my thread and give you all a heads up for what to expect!

"I saw you had your Solaris up for sale on another forum, does this mean you are not using it anymore?"

I have been thinking about selling the Solaris and going with a 4 or 6 bulb HOT5 fixture because I still really like HOT5 and because I could probably make a little bit off of it that I could put back into the tank setup. So yes I am considering it provided I get a good offer. If I don't get what I want for it I will be using it for sure!

"Can I buy your Solaris?"

If you want to pay for S&H to your area, or you want to pick it up locally, sure! Just send me an offer via PM. I didn't post it on the classifieds here because it is heavy and I wasn't sure our American members would want to pay for the light and shipping. I also have a spare ballast and complete LED array for the unit I can sell along with it (will not sell seperately though).

All that aside, I am pretty excited for the tank to be a part of my new room in the basement. As soon as I start the renovating that incorporates the aquarium, I will be sure to post some pictures and updates etc.

And since threads suck without pictures I drew a quick diagram of my idea.

Basement30reef.jpg

The top line is the ceiling, so it's as iff you are looking down at it through an invisible roof. The box around the top is to be done in drywall and painted the same color as the room, just like the "stand" is. The stand is basically a partition coming from the wall which will have access panels on one side.

Overall should be cool. This will be my first time attempting something like this - and I am hoping I do a good job! The reef itself will most likely be simple on the inside, done in a sort of "spot reef" type aquascape.

Archived