Coral Vue Hydros

MadDevil's BC14 (Retired 7/4/2013)

Maddevil1

what kind of CUC you planning? I'm at the point where i need to go buy some snails, and im trying to decide on the best combination to combat the different types of algaes. The goal is to cover the broadest range of algaes, without having snails that will bulldoze your frags. Mexican turbos are fantastic for GHA, but they knock #### all over.

I was thinking maybe a few onyx nassarius, a few nerite, and an emerald crab or two should be a pretty decent force without the strength to knock much over. what are your opinions?

The Clean-Up Crew site I was talking about: http://www.chucksaddiction.com/cleanupcrew.html

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fish saver now installed with StevieT's Media Rack

post-44019-1248749222_thumb.jpg

Testing out the Vortech MP10 omgomgomg

post-44019-1248749235_thumb.jpg

you are going to get some INSANE shimmer with the MP10 and the LED's.

+1 on the shimmer. I just finished setting up my LED conversion and it has great shimmer and I have only upgraded the stock pump to a MJ900. The shimmer I believe comes from the waves refracting the light causing it to move and bend. Similar to the coral scenes in Finding Nemo where you would see the light refract over the sea bed.

Nice MP10, just purchased a Koralia Nano and Hydor Flo couldn't succomb to paying $200 for the MP10. Does the MP10 have built in programming to create random wave flow?

+1 on the shimmer. I just finished setting up my LED conversion and it has great shimmer and I have only upgraded the stock pump to a MJ900. The shimmer I believe comes from the waves refracting the light causing it to move and bend. Similar to the coral scenes in Finding Nemo where you would see the light refract over the sea bed.

Nice MP10, just purchased a Koralia Nano and Hydor Flo couldn't succomb to paying $200 for the MP10. Does the MP10 have built in programming to create random wave flow?

Whew! :scarry: I thought I just wasted $200! It took me some convincing to pay the $200, had some threads that convinced me. I also have the Hydor Flow, gonna get some nice randomness! The MP10 comes with a controller with lots of choices on different flow. I actually have a poll out now to see what mode everyone mainly runs. Worth it, IMHO.

The Vortech's seem to be the pinnacle in power heads. If you can afford it I think they are worth it. I am fairly new 2 months in and have am trying my best to pace my self. I talked to a coworker who has a 200 gallon tank (7 feet wide) and he has two MP40's on each end and he can get the tank to make some 2 - 3 inch waves, thats some serious flow.

The shimmer will be a good thing :)

What are you going to use to mix salt in? I think i am getting phosphates from my HDPE 2 home depot buckets.

The shimmer will be a good thing :)

What are you going to use to mix salt in? I think i am getting phosphates from my HDPE 2 home depot buckets.

As of right now, I do not mix my own salt, I buy it from my LFS. I might start this later on though. What does HDPE stand for? Heavy Duty Plastic Enclosure? My first choice would be to mix it in a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket though. Why do you think your phosphates are coming from those? Do you use ChemiPure Elite? It absorbs phosphates and silicate.

On a side note, the Tunze ATO instructions rank 2nd as the worst installation instructions ever! :rant: 1st being the Biocube stand instructions. I siliconed in the rail today. The water had to be so high in the back chambers, I almost had to use both rails. Luckily the optical sensor tip (cone part) needs to be in the water. And with the help of my dremel, I was able to put the safety sensor 1 notch higher. Tomorrow I will test the entire config with the MJ900 and Hydor Flow and prep it to e filled this coming weekend. :happydance:

beleive hdpe is high density polyethylene

How do you like Stevie T's media basket? I am considering switching from the skimmer to the media basket since i can't seem to get this hair algae under control.

I'll post more on my build thread if you want to comment there so i don't derail :)

Can you take a picture of your ATO rail so I can see where you have your water level set to with the media basket? I am curious what the optimal level is. Thanks!

how is that filter floss helping to clear out the initial haze? It looks like its doing 10x better than my skimmer did.

Doing pretty good. I hope I bought the right filter floss from Walmart....cant go wrong for $3 a bag. I rinsed my sand pretty well and didnt disturb it when I was filling it up. I took that picture 30mins after I filled it up.

nice, have you decided how to cycle the tank?

My LFS guy said not to do anything, should have a short cycle of 2 weeks with the type of rocks I have. I trust him alot, known him for 8 years. I am more of a friend now than a customer. So we'll see how it goes for the first 2 weeks. ;)

One thing I noticed is that I wasnt getting as good surface skimming as I thought I would be. But that could be because its only 2 days old and wasnt getting much surface agitation. I added the MP10 to the tank yesterday. It seemed like it was helping with the surface agitation and the skimming. I'll have to check today when I get home. My pH was low as well, 7.66. Not sure if I calibrated my probe wrong or dKH is low (need to get a test kit).

My LFS guy said not to do anything, should have a short cycle of 2 weeks with the type of rocks I have. I trust him alot, known him for 8 years. I am more of a friend now than a customer. So we'll see how it goes for the first 2 weeks. ;)

I bought live rock and sand form my LFS and mine was cycled in 2 weeks. In fact it had a very low short cycle and after 2 weeks I had a diatom bloom then a couple of days later everything was 100% and stayed that way... till I overfed lmao. Good luck and your tank looks great so far. Looking forward to pics of it stocked.

Nice rock work, The shelving looks good and will play out better. I picked out Tonga rock more branch like and a little difficult to place corals.

Hows the shimmer with the hydro flo and MP10?

My cycle was also pretty short like two weeks as my LFS gave me sand right and 5 gallons out of one of the tanks to help kick start the process. I was able to put in a chromis 3 days later and it survived.

Nice rock work, The shelving looks good and will play out better. I picked out Tonga rock more branch like and a little difficult to place corals.

Hows the shimmer with the hydro flo and MP10?

My cycle was also pretty short like two weeks as my LFS gave me sand right and 5 gallons out of one of the tanks to help kick start the process. I was able to put in a chromis 3 days later and it survived.

Thanks! The shimmer is really nice! Not as much shimmer as I thought though. I have it so the MP10 doesnt cause too many ripples at the surface. I usually get it when the Hydor flow points toward the top. Yea, I am hoping for a short 2 week cycle.

Where is the water level in your display? I am afraid that cutting the chamber wall from 1 to 2 more than i have already is going to lower the water level int he Display a bit. Is yours above/below the plasting molding? looking from the outside, can you see the water line, or is it hidden by the plastic molding?

Where is the water level in your display? I am afraid that cutting the chamber wall from 1 to 2 more than i have already is going to lower the water level int he Display a bit. Is yours above/below the plasting molding? looking from the outside, can you see the water line, or is it hidden by the plastic molding?

Water level is pretty high up in the display. Looking at the top inlet vents on the right, the water sits right at the top of the vents. Why do you need to cut it more?

Archived