Pod Your Reef

MadDevil's BC14 (Retired 7/4/2013)

Maddevil1

Yeah the Chemi-pure elite 5 oz, fits right in the chamber for the sponge, just got to wiggle it a little bit but it fits.

The only problem with the chaeto being in the bottom chamber is that it is smaller than the middle one, so hopefully it doesn't grow too fast.

I

I thought the bottom chamber was the biggest. Need to check it when I get home. But from looking at the video and his PDF file, the bottom seems to be the biggest.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Tunze ATO will keep the water level pretty high if you want it, im guessing max is like 2" from top of the tank rim. If you look on my BC14 thread you can see some pictures of the rails siliconed in place to give you some perspective on where the sensor can be placed.

The Tunze ATO will keep the water level pretty high if you want it, im guessing max is like 2" from top of the tank rim. If you look on my BC14 thread you can see some pictures of the rails siliconed in place to give you some perspective on where the sensor can be placed.

Since I will most likely have water in the tank before I get this, could I hang the rails on the partition between chambers 2 and 3?

probably, for me it wasnt an option since it took up too much space in chamber 2, you only need to drain a few gallons to get the water level low enough to empty those back chambers anyhow. goto tunze's website and download the PDF for the osmolator install and you can see what the mounting hardware looks like. I'm just afraid that it will interfere with installation and maintenance of whatever you put into chamber 2.

probably, for me it wasnt an option since it took up too much space in chamber 2, you only need to drain a few gallons to get the water level low enough to empty those back chambers anyhow. goto tunze's website and download the PDF for the osmolator install and you can see what the mounting hardware looks like. I'm just afraid that it will interfere with installation and maintenance of whatever you put into chamber 2.

Sorry, I should have stated that the sensors would still go in chamber 3, but hung on the partition between chamber 2 and 3.

Sorry, I should have stated that the sensors would still go in chamber 3, but hung on the partition between chamber 2 and 3.

right, but the brackets have bolts that will protrude into chamber 2, checkout the install pages.

right, but the brackets have bolts that will protrude into chamber 2, checkout the install pages.

Gotcha, man think I am going to have to delay filling up the tank until I get the ATO then. Seems like I will have to silcone it in.

Hey Maddevil - For you Led install, did you direct the fan to blow air in or out? thanks

I thought it would be better to have the air sucked out of the hood. I would think you would need a more powerful fan to use positive pressure (air blown in) to effectively remove heat because then it would have to push the air out of the vents where the stock fans were. Otherwise you run the risk of just mixing the air you are blowing in with the heat off of the heatsink, thus not effectively removing as much heat as you can. With air being sucked out, you are creating air flow across the heatsink for sure. Since everything is under the splash guard, the air should be drawn in from the vents where the stock fans were. That was my thinking, am I correct?, I hope so. :unsure:

Positive pressure isn't that big of a deal, but direct airflow blown onto the heatsink is. There is a few degrees drop from blowing on versus blowingout.

Positive pressure isn't that big of a deal, but direct airflow blown onto the heatsink is. There is a few degrees drop from blowing on versus blowingout.

Thanks for correcting my thinking. I guess I'll wait till I get my tank up and running to see what kind of temps I am running in the tank before I make the switch. Being a EE, I have no clue about this kind of stuff. :wacko:

Thanks guys, I will have two fans a 60mm blowing air on the buck pucks- as I am installing them in the hood so that I can install the turn knobs on the hood, and the 80mm on the hood. Would that create an issue if I have the 80 blowing in with the 60 blowing air in the hood. I wasn't going to use the stock locations for the 60 vertically between the vents.

Thanks for correcting my thinking. I guess I'll wait till I get my tank up and running to see what kind of temps I am running in the tank before I make the switch. Being a EE, I have no clue about this kind of stuff. :wacko:

I wouldnt worry about it, either way you have that fan you will get adequate cooling. I think the main reason blowing the air onto the heatsink is more effective in this case is the lack of a duct connecting the fan to the heatsink.

I've seen some extremely effective cpu heatsinks that pull hot air off the heatsink.

I wouldnt worry about it, either way you have that fan you will get adequate cooling. I think the main reason blowing the air onto the heatsink is more effective in this case is the lack of a duct connecting the fan to the heatsink.

I've seen some extremely effective cpu heatsinks that pull hot air off the heatsink.

bpkenn,

I have a thread on this already, but let me ask you. If I get the MP10, do you think it will cause havok in the back chambers (chamber 3 specifically) and make the Tunze ATO not work properly?

bpkenn,

I have a thread on this already, but let me ask you. If I get the MP10, do you think it will cause havok in the back chambers (chamber 3 specifically) and make the Tunze ATO not work properly?

I dont know, what make syou think it will cause havoc? water spilling over chambers 2 and 3 due to waves etc?

if so, then i dont think it will mess with the ATO. just put the safety high enough that it is not too temperamental, but doesnt cause a flood. the minimum water level in chamber 3 will be relevant to the amount of water leaving the chamber, and amount flowing in. With an upgraded Maxijet pump in there, your water level will be pretty high in the DT, mine is almost to the top of the teeth, so even a decent amount of turbulence shouldnt reduce the amount of turnover in the rear chambers.

I dont know, what make syou think it will cause havoc? water spilling over chambers 2 and 3 due to waves etc?

if so, then i dont think it will mess with the ATO. just put the safety high enough that it is not too temperamental, but doesnt cause a flood.

I was more concerned with the optical sensor. If the water in the chamber is oscillating back in forth, would the optical sensor still do its job correctly?

I was more concerned with the optical sensor. If the water in the chamber is oscillating back in forth, would the optical sensor still do its job correctly?

Why would the water oscillate in the 3rd chamber?

even so, as far as i remember, the tunze shouldnt be effected by waves, i think it has to detect low water level for 3-5 seconds before it turns on the pump. let me find the manual and see.

They say on their site "Its “automatic eye” recognises the water level precisely, even small waves or level variations cannot irritate the unit."

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&amp...r_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter036

http://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebrauchsan.../x3155.8888.pdf

From the videos I have seen of the MP10, it causes waves in a 10 gallon. Now I dont think I am going to be running it like that, but it made me think if the flow in the tank is random, will that also translate to the back chambers. And how that might affect the optical sensor of the Tunze ATO.

From the videos I have seen of the MP10, it causes waves in a 10 gallon. Now I dont think I am going to be running it like that, but it made me think if the flow in the tank is random, will that also translate to the back chambers. And how that might affect the optical sensor of the Tunze ATO.

big waves? hard to say without actually seeing it, I wouldn't think it would have too great an effect on the sensor, i mean you could always just lower the sensor too. From what i noticed, the unit fills for about 10s minimum when it hits a low point, so it fills slightly above the top of the sensor. i think you should be fine. you can always email tunze and ask them also, their US customer support is really good.

Just placed the order for the Tunze Osmolator and the Vortech MP10! I am surprised I was able to get an MP10!!! :happydance: I got all the stuff, but no water in the tank, kinda ironic. If I dont fill it this weekend, next weekend for sure. fingerscrossed

what kind of CUC you planning? I'm at the point where i need to go buy some snails, and im trying to decide on the best combination to combat the different types of algaes. The goal is to cover the broadest range of algaes, without having snails that will bulldoze your frags. Mexican turbos are fantastic for GHA, but they knock #### all over.

I was thinking maybe a few onyx nassarius, a few nerite, and an emerald crab or two should be a pretty decent force without the strength to knock much over. what are your opinions?

what kind of CUC you planning? I'm at the point where i need to go buy some snails, and im trying to decide on the best combination to combat the different types of algaes. The goal is to cover the broadest range of algaes, without having snails that will bulldoze your frags. Mexican turbos are fantastic for GHA, but they knock #### all over.

I was thinking maybe a few onyx nassarius, a few nerite, and an emerald crab or two should be a pretty decent force without the strength to knock much over. what are your opinions?

I really havent thought about a CUC yet. I agree on the turbo snails, keep them out! I would advise not to get an emerald crab. I had one myself, but crabs are opportunistic omnivores and you could run into trouble later on. In a small tank, I dont think its worth the risk, but you might think differently. For the nassarius snail, rule of thumb is 1 for every 2-3 gallons. For nerites, 1 for every gallon. Instead of the crab, I would get some Asterea snails, 1 for every 6-7 gallons. Last but not least, some trochus snails, 1 for every 3 gallons. There was a good thread on here that I book marked, but I did it at work. I will post it here on Monday. I would stay away from hermit crabs as well, same reason as the emerald. IMHO, not worth the risk. I am sure a lot will say differently.

I really havent thought about a CUC yet. I agree on the turbo snails, keep them out! I would advise not to get an emerald crab. I had one myself, but crabs are opportunistic omnivores and you could run into trouble later on. In a small tank, I dont think its worth the risk, but you might think differently. For the nassarius snail, rule of thumb is 1 for every 2-3 gallons. For nerites, 1 for every gallon. Instead of the crab, I would get some Asterea snails, 1 for every 6-7 gallons. Last but not least, some trochus snails, 1 for every 3 gallons. There was a good thread on here that I book marked, but I did it at work. I will post it here on Monday. I would stay away from hermit crabs as well, same reason as the emerald. IMHO, not worth the risk. I am sure a lot will say differently.

whats wrong with the green emerald crabs? Ive never seen a problem with those guys, only the hermits! the hermits suck, i just got rid of my electric blue hermit cause he kept picking up my frags and relocating them! He also killed my mexican turbo 6 months ago and stole his shell, lol.

whats wrong with the green emerald crabs? Ive never seen a problem with those guys, only the hermits! the hermits suck, i just got rid of my electric blue hermit cause he kept picking up my frags and relocating them! He also killed my mexican turbo 6 months ago and stole his shell, lol.

LOL......got jacked for his shell. I have heard of some emeralds go rogue. I havent had a bad experience with them. But why take the risk when you can get peaceful snails that do the same thing. In my job, we are very risk adverse, must be rubbing off!

Archived