Innovative Marine Aquariums

Who the hell do we call? - The Blue Ringed Octopus

Pagemakerguy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wouldnt the feds be interested in this too? Seems to me there was a guy here in Chicagoland that had a bunch of some toxin that he shouldnt have had and that dude went to the big house. I wonder if they would take an interest in your friend, even though the circumstances arent nefarious as the one here in Chicago was.

I remember this on Chicago news. It wasn't that long ago but he had something a little different in a jar.

Wouldnt the feds be interested in this too? Seems to me there was a guy here in Chicagoland that had a bunch of some toxin that he shouldnt have had and that dude went to the big house. I wonder if they would take an interest in your friend, even though the circumstances arent nefarious as the one here in Chicago was.

Why would they be? I don't think they are illegal to own.

I watched a guy free dive for octopi in hawaii - he had spear and he'd dive down to the rocks and poke the spear around in some holes. When the octopus grabs the spear he'd pull it out and bit it between the eyes to kill it.

So you need a stick and get ready to bite the thing in the head before it bites you.

Good luck and have someone shoot video... thank you.

I watched a guy free dive for octopi in hawaii - he had spear and he'd dive down to the rocks and poke the spear around in some holes. When the octopus grabs the spear he'd pull it out and bit it between the eyes to kill it.

So you need a stick and get ready to bite the thing in the head before it bites you.

Good luck and have someone shoot video... thank you.

This is the reason I joined here, priceless info like this!!! LMFAO!

in all seriousness there bud....I don't know if this is even a true story or what. But please do you and your friend a favor and please be extremely careful with this animal.

I have a friend in brooklyn who owns a pet store in brooklyn that gets things like this for serious collectors (with the proper permits of course) and i've had the opportunity to actually see a couple of them in person

small, greyish (about the size no bigger than a golfball) with bright blue rings.....and you BETTER make sure that top is secured like fort knox because when they get bored they will try any way they know how to make an escape and you do not want one of those crawling in to bed with you

ohh and BTW....pics would be great

Keep the top locked down

Never put your hands in the tank

And keep it!

Octopi have very, very short life expectancies anyways....

clockwork john
scan of the CITIES permit would be great.

Good point. I'm sure the feds would be interested in an overseas vendor selling something like that.

MichiganReefer

Just LOLed at work!

If this is real, do not remove it by hand. They are very cuious creatures and i'm positive you could catch it in any container with a lid if you placed food items inside. Bottles or jars would work best, just not your hands!

Deleted User 6

From wikipedia:

Despite its small size, the blue-ringed octopus carries enough poison to kill 26 adult humans within minutes.

So, this thing is the chuck norris of octopi?

johnmaloney

they are surprisingly common. i get wholesale list from alot of the suppliers in Asia, and blue ring octopus is pretty common on there. Goes for like $16 before all the shipping charges. Easier to get that through customs than a piece of CITES coral. I have a crazy friend who wants a sea serpent.

Why euthanize it? Poisonous yes, but it is trapped. Thing needs water, just lock it up in the tank.

They come in all the time around me. No special permit required. I like to think of it as Darwin in action...

My thought would be to let it consume the snail/crab/fish population then set a fish trap for it at night. One that has a remotely closing lid. Put a nice tasty live crab in there and stand by with a stick and the string to the trap. When the octo goes into the trap to eat the crab brandish the stick so it can't swim out and snap the door closed. Then take it quickly to the Denver aquarium and play dumb.

If this is real, do not remove it by hand. They are very cuious creatures and i'm positive you could catch it in any container with a lid if you placed food items inside. Bottles or jars would work best, just not your hands!

Even with a lid the octopus will figure out how to get out. I have watched one in a mason jar unscrew the lid from the inside and get out.

Archived