SaltCritters.com

Who the hell do we call? - The Blue Ringed Octopus

Pagemakerguy

Pagemakerguy

Some advice who to call to remove a big little problem. My friend ordered a Octopus from an online vendor and when he opened the box it is a Blue Ringed Octopus no joke with the care sheet and not wanting it to die he put in his tank. Which is a 30 long reef and he called me for help and I am not sure what to do.

We called the Denver aquarium and they will not come get it out and we are not really wanting to die just yet. Does anyone have an idea of what to do? It seems very happy and already destroying the snails and crabs in the tank. We put a piece of glass over the open top and taped it so it cannot get him in the middle of the night.

I welcome any suggestions on places to call to remove such a cool looking but evil thing.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some advice who to call to remove a big little problem. My friend ordered a Octopus from an online vendor and when he opened the box it is a Blue Ringed Octopus no joke with the care sheet and not wanting it to die he put in his tank. Which is a 30 long reef and he called me for help and I am not sure what to do.

We called the Denver aquarium and they will not come get it out and we are not really wanting to die just yet. Does anyone have an idea of what to do? It seems very happy and already destroying the snails and crabs in the tank. We put a piece of glass over the open top and taped it so it cannot get him in the middle of the night.

I welcome any suggestions on places to call to remove such a cool looking but evil thing.

I'd be calling the online vendor as soon as possible and ask them wy they shipped a potentially deadly animal without letting you know what type of octopus you were buying.

Pagemakerguy
I'd be calling the online vendor as soon as possible and ask them wy they shipped a potentially deadly animal without letting you know what type of octopus you were buying.

Yeah, he got it from some overseas vendor. I am sort of shocked it made it from somewhere in Asia and still is happy as a clam. A really neat clam ha ha

Pagemakerguy
What kind of octopus did he think he was buying for a 30 gallon?

He said he order a pygmy octopus but got this one. : raises hands: I will stick to my mushrooms and frags

What do you intend to do with it once you get it out? If your plan is to remove it simply to euthanize it you probably have more options than if you are trying to safely remove it for transplant elsewhere. I think you will have a hard time trying to find a home for it, although some nut may step up and want it. I think your friend was off his rocker to put it in his tank in the first place. I would love to know who this online vendor is who shipped this thing out. The recklessness is almost criminal

I have dealt with numerous venomous animals and I can tell you that you can never too careful. I would look on the TONMO site to see if they can recommend a trap for the little guy.

-Prof

WHOA - if this isn't a LOL posting, that's insane. How did it ship? in a bag? Cooler? ..... If it's in the tank, make sure it's secure. I would try to get a hold of the vendor - call the local LFS and see if they may know of someone that can advise on the situation, if there is a University around, call the marine biology dept (a professor?)......

Obviously you know the dangers so please be careful!

PS. PICS or Vidz would be awesome :)

Pagemakerguy
What do you intend to do with it once you get it out? If your plan is to remove it simply to euthanize it you probably have more options than if you are trying to safely remove it for transplant elsewhere. I think you will have a hard time trying to find a home for it, although some nut may step up and want it. I think your friend was off his rocker to put it in his tank in the first place. I would love to know who this online vendor is who shipped this thing out. The recklessness is almost criminal

I have dealt with numerous venomous animals and I can tell you that you can never too careful. I would look on the TONMO site to see if they can recommend a trap for the little guy.

-Prof

http://www.marineboutique.com.au/index.php...5&Itemid=76 is where he got it from. He ordered a reef octopus lol. It was shipped out of thailand from Xe Fish house ( or at least thats on the box)

No Prof - I know I am not going to help him get it out. We hoped the denver aquairum would handle it but they dont make house calls.

^+1. It is rather hard to believe isn't it?

Yes because I have time in my life to make something like this up. Clearly people are in need of attn but I am not one of them. Once I drive back down to castle rock I will get you a picture.

AquariKeeper

In that link there are three different octopi, long armed, "reef", and blue ringed, your freind must have bought the blue ring, or they shipped him one because they ran out of the other... :mellow:

I would just euthanize it, it's not worth your life... :huh:

Well...I'm a nut...and I live in Denver...hmmm. Tempting. Of course I'm not sure how we'd transport it any way. Naaah. I'm dropping by the aquarium (volunteer,) I'll ask around.

it says blue ringed octupus down in the description........death wish dude. did you bang his girl or something? maybe he plans on throwing it at you when you come to take a pic of it. i'd take precautionary measures if i were you :eek:

Why am I so tempted to ask for this thing? It doesn't make sense...but at the same time...I want it. I think I need to go get a mantis to calm my nerves.

Im going to have nightmares about this. Good luck to you, I hope you can find a solution. I would be interested to learn what you ended up doing, once you get a solution. Can you just ship it back?

GatorHunter

WOW,

That sucks how big is it?? If you are against killing something I guess I would try and capture it but other than that its not like a rattle snake from what ive read and heard they can kill fast and if hes on you its not like a snake bite and let go. Well I say make a trap but octopi are suppose to be smart and if you dont watch like a hawk he'll get out..... Good luck!!

-Gator

Wouldnt the feds be interested in this too? Seems to me there was a guy here in Chicagoland that had a bunch of some toxin that he shouldnt have had and that dude went to the big house. I wonder if they would take an interest in your friend, even though the circumstances arent nefarious as the one here in Chicago was.

Archived