Cultivated Reef

Do hammer corals have mouths?

Maroon Clown

Militant Jurist
My hammer will eat large bits of flake food. If it isn't big enough, it doesn't seem to trip the hammer's food capture response.

I can never get my frogspawn to eat mysis. Maybe I'll try the flake food. Do you feed the hammer during the day hours, pre-light or post-light? Thanks for the idea!

My frogspawn loves mysis. I feed each mouth individually every week by placing the mysis on its stingers which it moves to its mouth. Now during feeding time they all open their mouths waiting to be fed.

Militant Jurist
My frogspawn loves mysis. I feed each mouth individually every week by placing the mysis on its stingers which it moves to its mouth. Now during feeding time they all open their mouths waiting to be fed.

I've tried that numerous times before, and while the tentacles will stick the mysis, but it doesn't move it to the mouth. After a while, the frog just lets it go. Hopefully I'll have better luck when I try flake food.

Do you feed the hammer during the day hours, pre-light or post-light?

I do my feedings toward the end of lights-on. I have some corals that would probably respond favorably to night feedings but I am too lazy to bother.

I've fed my frogspawn before. I used a baster to get a mysid right by the mouth and it ate it. This was during the day as I've never had any luck at night because they shrivel up so much.

• 10 years later...