Coral Vue Hydros

Mini RBTA

Lalani

I read your thread and wanted to relate something that happened to my brother. He had several tiny rbtas. They were always beautifully dark colored with big bubblesfor well over a year. One day they started looking bad. They were not iflating mouths gaping. He performed every test he could, everything seemed fine. He performed a few extra water changes with no improvement. I went over for a look, I thought they looked near death. This continued for weeks. He deciced to clean his powerhead. He opened it and removed the shaft inside the pump and out came ugly rusty water, the coating had worn off the propeller shaft. He replaced the pump and within a few days things improved and the little rbta returned to their normal full bubbly selves. I don't know if this will help but you never know, could be that something as random as this is causing your problem. I hope you can solve it.

Good luck : )

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
el_vulture619
Thanks for your input. Though I fail to see how the jar helped facilitate the demise of the anemone, or how it could be connected with the two maxis being PO'd. I'm not denying the fact that it may have played a part, btw, just not sure how exactly.

IME nems like some flow all around them, even more when their mouth is gaping. Low flow areas of course. A friend has placed his sick BTA in plastic containers with holes to try and keep his clowns away while they healed but it did not work. Before that I was trying a sebae and place it in a wide open 2" tall container to help keep it from floating around the tank; this only made it slime away. :mellow:

If nothing comes up in the tests and you notice other problems IME you have some pollution problems in the tank like Lmecher suggests. House hold cleaners and lotions, chemicals from our hands will build up in the tank, and you cant remove them all with a water change. In your 40b thread you said there is no reason for chemical filtration but pollution is a big reason. While you may not have to constantly run some chemipure, using it for a month every quarter wont hurt anything.

I had 10g & 20L brackish setups in my basement. This January a fire broke out in my basement at 4am because of some water heater wiring problems. The smoke alarms woke me up (thank the good Lord) and I was able to put the fire out before it spread. My house was full of smoke and I had to open up the windows to ventilate the house in 18F weather!

I changed the furnace filter and cleaned out the house but paid no attention to my brackish tanks. A few weeks later my fish were bloated and not looking good, so I decided to do a water change and clean the filters. They were black from soot left by the fire smoke! All man I was freakin out! Water change, new media and lots of carbon followed, but in the end it was to late...

I realize this is an extreme case, but I hope it helps illustrate that pollution does happen in the aquarium.

Never put an anemone in a jar, cup or any container through which water cannot flow. Without enouh flow they can develope a bacterial infection which will surely mean death to an aling anemone. Slime will build up on thier tissue and this slime attracts bacteria which feeds upon it. Thus making a bad situation even worse. It is in a last resort I would place one in a mesh breeder basket in direct flow (diffused by the mesh of the basket) Having said that, it is best to leave them in the main display and remove the irritant when possible.

As far as the maxis being irritated, have you considered allopathy? I is not recomended to mix species within the same tank. They don't release toxins per say, but they do protect themselves and and fight to irridicate other species as they compete for space on the reef. They can conduct silent unseen warefare by releasing nemosists into the surrounding water.

Many people keep different species toether without incident and will debate this. I just wanted to throw it out there for consideration.

I am sorry for your loss, hopefully you won't loose any more : )

Thanks for the input guys. She was getting a lot of flow in the jar, but I dunno.

I doubt chemical warfare has anything to do with the maxis being upset... because one is in the 5.5gal (which is where the rbta was) and one is in the 15gal tank with just one other regular mini nem.

I'm going to hold off on acquiring any more nems until I sort this issue out.

It is depressing when you loose one. I just lost a gbta on Easter, makes you feel like a failure. All you can do is try your best and don't forget your successes. I am still waiting to for the other shoe to drop on my red mini with the curse and all LOL.

How are your maxi minis doing? I just got a couple and so far so good but you never know what tomorrow will bring. Do you have photos of them? Would love to see them. : )

Archived