SaltCritters.com

red leg vs blue leg hermit

kamikaze_fish

I have both and they are great reef inhabitants. Got lots of personality and fun to watch. Just leave shells around and they won't bother anyone.

I have variety and have had no problems with corals, started off killing each other and have had stopped and have had stable population for a year. They are good scavengers of uneaten food everywhere in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
kamikaze_fish

I'd like to give a conclusion to my decision making. I chose blue leg. I went into the store, asked for 3 blue leg and it was an outrageous amount so I said no, I wanted blue leg. He changed the price and I get home, open the bag and here's what I got. Yeah there was some confusion but after a couple weeks I'm pretty happy with the choice with one exception. They aren't aggressive cleaners at all. They are very pretty though lol.

crabbypants.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have both in my AP24 the red legs seem to be busier around the tank. Haven't noticed any aggression. They are both fun to watch cruise the tank. I'm told if there are available shells they won't kill snails.

I'd like to give a conclusion to my decision making. I chose blue leg. I went into the store, asked for 3 blue leg and it was an outrageous amount so I said no, I wanted blue leg. He changed the price and I get home, open the bag and here's what I got. Yeah there was some confusion but after a couple weeks I'm pretty happy with the choice with one exception. They aren't aggressive cleaners at all. They are very pretty though lol.

crabbypants.jpg

• 1 month later...

I don't have bad experience with my Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit and Scarlet Hermit.

they are doing fine in my 7 gallon tank. I left a couple of empty shells at the corner of the tank.

the scarlet seems not interesting to the shells, but blue leg always change the shells, sometimes

change to a new one, and then two days later, it changes back to old shell, seems to just try different house.

in case some people got confused with red leg and scralet, here is the pics of them.

scarlet is bright red and red leg is dark red with white dots on its legs.

red leg is a bastard which will munch the coral if it can be fed enough.

the blue leg has two different kind, one is Dwarf Blue Leg and another one is electric blue leg.

this is red leg which you should take with cautions.

26073RED%20LEGG%20HERMIT.jpg

this is scralet.

redleg_.jpg

this is dawf blue leg

blueleg_.jpg

this is electric blue leg

lg-80206-crab.jpg

• 7 years later...
Cencalfishguy56

Blue and red crabs kill snails I have had both. I have a 150 gallon no crabs all snails that do great.

kill snails if you don't provide shells, I've yet to have snails die by my crabs

I've tried going hermit less in my tank (after having only one left),but my snails don't seem interested in eating short hair algae. Just picked up 3 scarlet hermits, as they seem less aggressive...

We'll see what happens.

squamptonbc

I've always kept a few blue's, I like them, they never seem to bother the much larger snails.

I love hermits and find that they are great cleaners as well as entertaining.

Blue legged - pretty good cleaners, haven't had issues with them

Scarlets - awesome and never go after anything

Halloweens - they won't kill your snails, they need particular shells. Very good hermit.

Zebra's - i love them but notice they start fights with eachother and have gone after certain snails.

Snails they won't attack for shells: astrea, turbo, trochus. They don't use these shells but will eat a snail that is dying/dead.

Nassarius and cerith shells they like but nassarius get away from them easily, not so much the ceriths.

Archived