Innovative Marine Aquariums

13w Ballast Wiring

freeqgOd

I am in the process of up grading my lighting. I had looked at this post when it was first posted but it wasn't until now that I had enough extra money to upgrade.

I have everything wired up and working great. It even looks pretty good. The only thing is that the ballasts buzz when they are on. Is there a way of stopping the buzzing or is it just the nature of these ballasts? I have three and two out of the three buzz. One of them is an out right hum. Any ideas?

I am going to put them over my 2.5, Two 10000K and one actinic.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Taikimoto

cool. yeah I went and bought two sets and a bulb to test them and they work fine.  

4 of them over a 2.5 sound good? Im thinking 3 10k's and 1 actinic

I did 4x13w over a 2.5g AGA Mini-bow. It was, in my opion, brighter than a 96w powerquad over a 10g. I did 50/50 10K/Actinic, but 3x10K w/ 1 Actinic should work too. Anyway, a fan moving lots of air is a MUST with that much light packed in such a tiny space. I used a 40x40x20mm fan run at 9V, which worked well.

THey run hot so make them external. I am glad someone FINALY read a post of mine form a while ago and made use of this EASY and cheap DYI lighting option. I hated the fact that hellolights.com was raping people on their balast bulb cobos.

wannabeafarmer

Glad to help...

By the way...saw mention of a molex connector for the 13w diy setup...I'm in the process of building a 10g w/diy stand, canopy, sump. Having trouble finding bulb sockets.

Anyone got any info on these molex connectors, and where to get them/what to ask for.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Originally posted by wannabeafarmer

Anyone got any info on these molex connectors, and where to get them/what to ask for.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe molex connectiors are the ones coming off a computer power supply for powering hard drives, CD/DVD drives, etc. Mayhap you have a spare, or a used computer store near you has one in the dumpster out back that you can harvest...
wannabeafarmer

Guess I'm just Sssthoopid...how exactly will a computer power supply conx hook up to a 13w bulb...

Not trying to be an jerk...just confused...

I would say the growth was good to moderate with the 6x13w. What was particularly useful with this configuration was the ability to stagger the lighting cycles.

This was 12/15/03:

Yup, you could safely hook a whole lotta 13w ballasts to one cord. If your cord is rated for 15A, you could theoretically connect 1800w worth of stuff to it. Not that I would advise it!

Anyway, just make sure you have a wire nut that's big enough to hold everything securely together. Ensure you have a sturdy physical connection when you join the wires, not just an electrical one.

HD only has the ballasts that takes 20watts....is that too much for a 13W pc? Are those ballast magnetic or electronic?

-Correct me if I'm wrong....for WIRING: just connect the positive wire from the plug to the positive side of the ballast. Then the other wire from the ballast goes to one end of the GX-23 bulb. The negative wire from the plug goes straight to the other end of the bulb?

So far my setup is fine with the 20 w ballasts. It has three wired together into one outlet. I used the cord from a power strip. It was the cheapest way to go at around $3 it was much cheaper than getting an extension cord and cutting one end off. I'll post a pic once I can get my hands on a digi camera.

As has been mentioned dead power supplies are a great source of free molex connectors. The case also makes a great place to mount the ballasts and each one has a fan that can be used for cooling. I'd just go to a comp repair place chances are they will have some dead power supplies that they can give you. You won't have to do any dumpster diving.

• 9 months later...

Archived