Innovative Marine Aquariums

13w Ballast Wiring

freeqgOd

Just got back from HD and I had to buy a PC desk lamp to steal the ballast from, only $19.00. So do I run the positive to the ballast and then to the bulb and the neg. straight to the bulb? That is how it looks like it is wired now. Or does it matter can the pos. and neg. be switched? thanks for the help and the great idaes for lighting

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you give me any more information on it? because the guy I talked to had no idea what I was talkng neither did the other three I tried asking about and all the ballast werent labeled according to wattage. Thanks for your help

Thanks for all the help I picked up a ballst and wired it up it works great. I also put the ballast outisde the hood to keep heat down. thanks again

What ballast did you go w/?? And how did you hook up the bulb to the ballast?? Did you just run the wires to it, or do you have a type of socket??? Thanks a lot, I'm very interested, as I'm looking for a cheap way to run 13 Watt PC actinics on my 15 gallon projects I am doing. Thanks again!!

DvS

I found a desk lamp that my old roommate left and stole the ballast out of that. I just ran the wires to it and I used the connectors out of a universal 2 prong socket and they fit the light perfect. I think they are called morex connectors. It looks great on my ten I think I might add another it was very cheep also I had most the stuff around the house except the bulb.

Thanks a lot MSF, I'm stopping at the depot tonite, to get 2 of those ballsat, so I can get my dang nano started... It's gonna be a slow process, cuz I just dropped 150 on a dual 400 watt ballast, for my 40, but we will see!! Thanks again, that pic helps a heck of a lot!

DvS

Hi everyone....

I'm new here and been searching and reading stuff for nanos and this the best site i have ever seen...

i was wondering how do you wire the Ballast at Home Depot (the $3.50 one)? i mean there's only 2 black wires coming out of it... can someone tell me or show me a link where i can find diagrams/ pictures of how to wire this to a 13watt PC with an on/off switch? very well detail if possible PLEASE.........

Sorry if this question was answered already but i can't seem to find it....

This is actually very simple. Take the positive lead from the power cord and hook it up to the lead from the ballast that is on the side of the serial #. The other lead from the ballast goes to your bulb. The negative lead from the power cord goes directly to the bulb. I believe that molex connectors and heatshrink have been covered in other threads so try a search if you need to learn how to make the actual connection to the bulb.

As for the on/off switch... much safer, and better in the long run to use a timer as your switch.

MODS! - Might want to move this thread to lighting.

• 8 months later...

Wow a 9-month old post... Good searching! They run pretty hot... I keep both of mine in a separate ballast box in my stand. Just as an update, I've had two of these running 8 hours a day for about a year with no problems.

Deleted User 8530

Yeah I did do my Searching LOL :P .So you Definitly couldnt like lay your hand on um Could you? Also does it raise your room temp and more with the Lights and all Running? FYI My room is the hottest in the house from 2 Computers and 2 tanks :P Its still not that hot but STILL :)

• 5 months later...

I went to lowes and found a f20t12 ballast like the one described here however on the diagram on the ballast it says I have to use a starter for it. Will I be able to use this ballast in the same manner as the advance one described in this thread? Do I just wire it up with no starter like the post msf has on page 1?

Thanks for any info.

cool. yeah I went and bought two sets and a bulb to test them and they work fine.

4 of them over a 2.5 sound good? Im thinking 3 10k's and 1 actinic

Archived