SaltCritters.com

Seahorsejl's Not-So-Nano 75 Gallon Tank

seahorsejl

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides the overhangs of your tank, no cover for the jawfish? If so no problem from an educated guess by seeing it still alive.

gah everywhere I see a pearly jawfish! I want a pair... :)

They do seem to be the rage these days. I got mine from Florida SeaLife, and they do sell mated pairs.

Besides the overhangs of your tank, no cover for the jawfish? If so no problem from an educated guess by seeing it still alive.

Nope, he seems quite happy where he is at. Though, he is living partially in a PVC tube I sunk into the sand right there. He has dug further into the rockwork behind him, but not by much.

I would do the PVC thing too. They just seem like bottom dwellers not birds to me once they get settled in.

Some more pictures from yesterday.

Acan:

IMG_1849.JPG

Another acan:

IMG_1854.JPG

3rd acan (this was in some higher flow when I took the pic, moved it last night to see if will be happier in a lower flow area):

IMG_1858.JPG

Favia (I really like this):

IMG_1856.JPG

Not new, but I still love my orange brain .. it is growing nicely:

IMG_1860.JPG

And a full on FTS:

IMG_1916.JPG

Still have some more pictures (more close-ups of the zoa collection), but will save those for another post.

More pictures..

Zoas:

IMG_1870.JPG

My one an only little SPS:

IMG_1873.JPG

More zoas:

IMG_1880.JPG

Aiming for complete top coverage:

IMG_1904.JPG

Mmm... LPS:

IMG_1909.JPG

Hoping these yellow zoas take off and grow fast:

IMG_1910.JPG

This guy:

IMG_1913.JPG

used to look like this (right side of the picture, can click for larger):

IMG_4703_med.jpg

Woke up this morning to find my last naked clown dead :tears::(

Not sure why ... but he/she (probably she) has seemed "lonely" the past week ... swimming along the side of the tank with it's reflection.

I had planned on getting another non-naked clown for companionship in the near future. Will probably get a pair (or more) of some other clowns here soon, that will hopefully host in my GBTA.

sorry about the clown :(

I came in yesterday an the acro from mr. coral was 90% RTN :angry:

Ug .. that sucks on the acro.

Had a nice relaxing and fish-related weekend.

After a local reef club meeting Saturday, I stopped by a LFS and picked up 3 pink skunk clownfish. Hopefully they will host in the GBTA.

Also picked up my acan frag from a local reefer ... looks great, and is settling in nicely.

I finally had time to take the knife to my leather coral. It was a little heartbreaking, as it is my oldest coral that I grew from the size of a quarter.

But things seem to have gone well, all of the frags are glued down and in the tank.

IMG_1932.JPG

And here is a real quick picture of the acan collection. I was trying to get the new one in focus (the far left), but the green on in the middle got all of the attention.

IMG_1929.JPG

• 1 month later...

*Scrapes the algae off the glass*

It has been a while. No free time.

No new coral additions, but I did add two new fish last weekend:

The Two Spot Bristletooth:

IMG_2059.JPG

The Candy Striped Hogfish:

IMG_2073.JPG

Bad pictures due to me rushing them.

Picked up this nice squamosa clam today from a local vendor. Talk about a great deal. For the price I paid, you normally get a tiny 1-2" clam. This guy has to be about 4-5"! I love the pattern on it.

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2169.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

These guys have been a pleasant surprise. They were freebies with an order, and I put them on the back of a rock. And here they are a nice color!

IMG_2128.JPG

I don't know why, but I do like this gorgonian. It is not colorful, but it is cool.

IMG_2115.JPG

I have more pictures, but will save them for later :)

that clam has an awesome mantle and i really like the hogfish

Yeah, that is why I picked it. The other squamosas he had where not as intricate in their patterns. I really wanted a blue maxima that he had, but just didn't think my lighting was intense enough to have it on the sand bed.

ok so I had also bought naked clowns only to find out after that there seems to be a problem where they breed them. All the lfs have had severe issues with all of the naked clowns, like a fish fungal problem that can spread to any clown easily and after long term exposure your other fish can get too. My BF and I have lost all of our clowns due to it and 4 of our other fish. We had taken them back to the lfs we bought our nakeds from and they quaritined them for 5 days then gave them back. Well 10 days later we brought all of our fish to them to quarintine and treat them. Now we have 2 fish.

RIP

2 black clowns

2 naked clowns

1 picasso clown

1 platinum clown

2 True percs

1 emperator angel

1 sailfin tang

1 clown goby

1 gum drop goby

When i called the major clown/perc breeder that is well known, they weren't suprised and told me that it was the lfs fault for not treating and quarintining any fish they get in. I called all over to all fish shops and to my few friends who bought some from other lfs. You are lucky if you have a naked clown that has lived.

Here are some more pictures I took this weekend.

Mr. Jawfish:

IMG_2142.JPG

Favia with one of my cucumbers keeping it warm:

IMG_2104.JPG

Favia closeup:

IMG_2170.JPG

Hungry brain:

IMG_2106.JPG

My blasto is turning pinkish around the edges... wonder if it is due to the RF Fuel:

IMG_2174.JPG

My Red People Eaters:

IMG_2180.JPG

Still have a few more pictures for a later post.

When i called the major clown/perc breeder that is well known, they weren't suprised and told me that it was the lfs fault for not treating and quarintining any fish they get in. I called all over to all fish shops and to my few friends who bought some from other lfs. You are lucky if you have a naked clown that has lived.

I had my naked clowns for probably around 4 months or so. One just up and vanished one day. And then the other faded away. They never took to my bubble tip.

I then added 3 pink skunk clowns. With in a week or so, one vanished. A second one looked like it had some disorder as it didn't eat, and it eventually passed on. I still have the third. It of course did not even look at the bubble tip.

This weekend I got a gold striped maroon from a local reefer. Within a few hours he had found the bubble tip and was snuggling up to it :)

I really liked the naked clowns, but have not seen them since... and now that I have the maroon, I am done getting clownfish.

Your tank looks great. I really like the rockscape. Keep posting any new pics you might take.

Thanks! It provides lots of swimming room for the tangs. Which reminds me, I do have a new FTS (it was taken prior to the clam purchase):

IMG_2091.JPG

Corals look great, but I'm so sorry for your heavy fish losses. That has to still hurt. :(

~Anne

Thanks. :)

I am feeling very pictureful today. So more.

Little guy hanging in the anemone. He got mad that he now has to share it with the maroon clown.

IMG_2189.JPG

Some of my blue-purple zoas:

IMG_2186.JPG

Moved these guys to this new spot, they were about to be ran over by the xenia:

IMG_2175.JPG

Some yellow zoas. Hoping these grow out a lot:

IMG_2109.JPG

Ok, I think I have ran out of pictures for a bit :)

I survived my first attack from Mr. Have To Protect My Anemone. I think the anemone is resigned to the fact that it has to put up with the abundance of love this clownfish is giving it.

Caught the clown trying to feed the anemone part of an algae sheet (when I was feeding my tangs and angel), and getting frustrated that the anemone was not eating it. :lol:

I dare you to touch my anemone:

IMG_2200.JPG

Showing off his back side:

IMG_2232.JPG

And he isn't afraid of no clownfish:

IMG_2257.JPG

State Of The Tank Address - Mid 2009

I stand before you this fine August day to present the State Of The Tank address. We campaigned on change, and I can solidly tell you: change has come! From our humble roots of a just a 5 gallon custom tank back in 1991, we have transformed ourselves into the present day thriving 75 gallon tank. Just a mere 8 months ago, we took the bold step into the largest tank we have ever owned.

We have no recession of zoanthids in the tank, thanks largely to the metal halide lighting, and dosing of Polyp Labs Reef Fuel. Likewise, trumpet coral splitting is on the rise. The inflation of green star polyps has been contained by keeping them on Exile Island, also home to the ferocious Gold Stripe Maroon clownfish. We have had some sad loses in the Acan franchise, but it seems that we have seen the bottom. Leather coral shipments are up 800% year-over-year.

A not-so-fragile peace has settled over the tank's swimming inhabitants. The dreaded Talbot Damsel gang has finally met it's match, and has resigned to having to share the waters. Their attempts to bolster their numbers with offspring has, to this day, not added any new members. Though this has not deterred them. And if they are ever successful at hatching a clutch of eggs, we fear serious consequences for not just the tank, but the world at large.

Similar to reports of seeing the lock ness monster, we have had sightings of our two elusive dusky gobies. They have settled in to the back underside of some rockwork, and are only seen at feeding times. We suspect they might be harboring feelings of resentment towards the Talbot Damsel gang, and are plotting a tank take-over. But for now, they continue to exude their timid persona.

Jawfish tunnel construction is on the decline. We believe this indicates contentment with current lodging and not a real estate slump in the tank. This is all despite the constant "fly overs" from the tang duo. Algae is at rock bottom due to the before mentioned tang duo and the flame angelfish. The angelfish has been a model citizen but not picking on the new clam, but keeping the Kenya Tree population in check.

Even though the yellow striped candy hogfish has aspirations of being a barracuda, he has been a model citizen in the tank. Truly a fish for all fish to look up to. The gold striped maroon clownfish could learn a lesson from the hogfish on not biting people. And finally, we are happy to report the pink skunk clown has found true love in the tank with the tongue coral.

The tank is poised for an excellent second half of the year. Zoanthid and clam size increases are expected, along with increases in favia coralites. Fish population is expected to remain flat.

This, ladies and gentlefish, has been the mid-2009 State Of The Tank address. Please note: some forward looking statements have been made in this post. These in no way should be used as factual information or the basis for fish/coral investments. Please consult your local fish store and club for advice.

Archived