Cultivated Reef

Seahorsejl's Not-So-Nano 75 Gallon Tank

seahorsejl

seahorsejl
looks great!! i like the jawfish!!

Thanks! While not a blue spot, it is still a character.

The urchins are going bye-bye. They keep knocking frags epoxied to the rock off. I am trading one today at lunch, and the other is stuck in my fuge's skimmer. Will trade him off once get gets to an accessible point.

And I think my flame angel has been picking on my gorgonians. Not a shocker, just a little annoying. So far hasn't messed with any of the LPS.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
joshman1204

I will post up some pics of your old aquapod under the new 250w metal halide when I get home tomorrow. The 75 is looking very nice! Let me know when you upgrade again and I will come buy this one from you also :)

seahorsejl
I will post up some pics of your old aquapod under the new 250w metal halide when I get home tomorrow. The 75 is looking very nice! Let me know when you upgrade again and I will come buy this one from you also :)

Hey there! Please post pictures :) I bet the tank looks great under MH. Keeping anything particular in there with all of that light?

And :lol: at the upgrade comment. I don't think I will be upgrading for a while ... but I will keep you in mind when I do :happy:

This tank is so sick!

Thanks!

I got brave the other night and fragged those new pink zoa's. So far so good, but the frag are only a few polyps each. Figured might as well since I was glueing down some new green zoas with yellow centers I got for trading one of my pencil urchins.

joshman1204
Hey there! Please post pictures :) I bet the tank looks great under MH. Keeping anything particular in there with all of that light?

And :lol: at the upgrade comment. I don't think I will be upgrading for a while ... but I will keep you in mind when I do :happy:

I only have one clownfish in the tank for right now. The tank has been up for about 4 months and I am just taking my time to make sure I have everything in line before I start adding livestock.

Here are some pics:

DSC_2101.jpg

DSC_2104.jpg

DSC_2113.jpg

And the one hitchiker that came with the LR

DSC_2108.jpg

seahorsejl

Very nice joshman! You have some great coraline growth going on there in the back! For some reason, it always grew best there. I am finally getting some coraline spotting on the back wall of my 75g.

And the blue spot looks great! Jawfish have always been a favorite of mine, and I used to have a yellow-head in that tank. Just be careful, I had one that would constantly jump the grate in get into the sump area, and this was with the hood on. Jawfish can be jumpy, and you are running an open top.

In other news in 75g land... the three frags of pink zoas I created last week are all gone :( Not sure if they came unglued, melted, or hermits carried them off.

I would be surprised if they came unglued, because I glued down some loose green zoas I got in trade for an urchin, and they are going strong.

The mother colony is doing OK so far.

joshman1204

I really wish I had of thought out the jawfish purchase a little more ... it was kind of an impulse buy. I have an eggcrate top on right now but it seems like he has really made himself at home so I hope I can remove it after the first couple of weeks. I think they are a lot less likely to jump once they get acclimated and there is nothing in the tank that is going to bother him so I think I will be ok.

Yeah, he should be fine if he is settled into a burrow. Is your live rock sitting on the bottom of the tank? Just asking because digging they might cause avalanches. :)

yea they are sitting on the glass so I should be ok there.

Sounds like you are good to go then.

My tank update:

Well, not much. I think my pink zoas are slowly melting away. The mother colony is down to only 4 or 5 polyps left. All other zoas are OK.

My brown & green cynaria/doughnut coral bleached out a few days ago. All of the brown just up and went, but the green flecks are still there. The only thing I can think of is I was dosing my calcium at too high of a rate. I misread the bottles, and was accidentally dosing at the maximum rate from the get-go. The odd thing is, all of my other LPS are fine.

And lastly, I have a box-full of zoa & LPS goodies coming my way early next week :happydance: Happy (early) Father's Day to me! B)

Here is what is shipping out today B)

1 x Green Eye Goblin Acan Echinata

1 x Green Lantern Acan

1 x Rock the Red Acan Bowerbanki

1 x Daytrippers (Zoa)

1 x Pot Of Gold (Zoa)

1 x Red People Eaters (Paly)

1 x Purple People Eater Favia

1 x Aquaman Prism Favia

1 x Free Zoa 3

1 x Free Zoa 2

1 x Free Zoa 1

1 x Free Zoa 4

Can't wait for tomorrow :happy:

Here is what is shipping out today B)

1 x Green Eye Goblin Acan Echinata

1 x Green Lantern Acan

1 x Rock the Red Acan Bowerbanki

1 x Daytrippers (Zoa)

1 x Pot Of Gold (Zoa)

1 x Red People Eaters (Paly)

1 x Purple People Eater Favia

1 x Aquaman Prism Favia

1 x Free Zoa 3

1 x Free Zoa 2

1 x Free Zoa 1

1 x Free Zoa 4

Can't wait for tomorrow :happy:

Great tank Seahorse,

Looks like you are going to be having fun when all you new stuff comes in. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Have you ever thought about cutting up your toadstool? Mine is still to little but the guy I got it from just cuts the cap off of his once a year and just leaves the stub. It seems to make it back to almost 7 or 8 inches across every year.

Great tank Seahorse,

Looks like you are going to be having fun when all you new stuff comes in. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Have you ever thought about cutting up your toadstool? Mine is still to little but the guy I got it from just cuts the cap off of his once a year and just leaves the stub. It seems to make it back to almost 7 or 8 inches across every year.

Thanks! Just waiting on the package to arrive.... T-minus less than 1 hour :)

I actually have considered dicing up my toadstool. It has been dropping pieces on it's own for a while. And I have been attaching them to rocks, growing them out, and trading them in to a LFS. But lately it hasn't dropped some in a while, so I have thought about cutting the whole rim off. Just need time... maybe later today as I am home waiting for the shipment.

They are here! Floating them to acclimate temperature, but things are looking good. All of the LPS are nice looking, and all of the zoa's look plump.

The packaging was real good. since I ordered 12 frags, they were individually bagged, then 6 of them in not one larger bag, but 4!

BTW, this order was from Mr. Coral. Will get some pictures once they are in the tank.

Pictures! :D

Aye aye! Off to go take some ... everything is mostly settled in now (and everything cleaned back up from messing in the tank :P )

Pictures! Boy, o, boy did I take a lot of pictures. I think I will have to pace them over a few posts/days. And I also have a video I need to edit and get posted of the tank!

To get things started, here are the new items from Mr. Coral. I have to say I am very pleased with everything. Most of the zoas were opening in the bags when acclimating, and most are 90% or more open now.

Click on any picture for a larger version.

Packed very well:

IMG_1833.JPG

Some of the zoas I purchased (still opening):

IMG_1835.JPG

These were freebies (sorry, I hid them behind a gorgonian):

IMG_1836.JPG

One of the favias I got:

IMG_1842.JPG

I think these are a type of african blue zoa (another freebie). I know a lot of people have problems with them melting, thought I would give them a try since they were free. I had planned on mounting these in a different spot but I mixed up the frags.

IMG_1847.JPG

Some red people eaters:

IMG_1862.JPG

More freebies:

IMG_1863.JPG

More zoas I purchased (the picture does not do them justice, the yellow really pops):

IMG_1846.JPG

3 acans and another favia I got (I already had the orange brain to the left):

IMG_1905.JPG

And to wrap up for now, a different angle on the FTS:

IMG_1893.JPG

This tank looks fantastic! :D Great new additions, those favias have me thinking about branching out. :P

Looks like everything is opening nicely, that must be a relief. Happy Father's Day, indeed!

This tank looks fantastic! :D Great new additions, those favias have me thinking about branching out. :P

Looks like everything is opening nicely, that must be a relief. Happy Father's Day, indeed!

Thanks! I am really digging the wavy brain looking favia.

And yes, everything is opening nicely. Looking forward to feeding all of the new critters :)

Here is my first attempt at video recording the tank. Kinda choppy, crazy zooming, and cheesy transitions ... all for your enjoyment :)

Holly Koralias!

going to watch the video now

Thanks for the kind comments on the video :P

The video is sweet. The jawfish needs some kind of hat...maybe a top hat.

Thanks. :)

Archived