SaltCritters.com

No LFS options :(

fishdaddy0831

fishdaddy0831

So I'm jumping back into reefing after a few years off. I need a whole new set up and have been looking around at my LFSs. Only 2 in town after an ice storm closed down the other 2. One wants to charge as much as $80 for a basic green Zoa frag(yes frag), and the other has great frags, but I don't trust him. He tried to sell me a used 20L and stand for $210 saying they don't make them anymore. My petco and petsmart have the same tank and stand new for $130.

So this guy tried to make a quick buck and it cost him 90% of my business. I'm sure ill be buying most of my stuff online, and I hate that because I like to support my local community.

Just wanted to complain, thanks for listening/reading.

Deleted User 6
So I'm jumping back into reefing after a few years off. I need a whole new set up and have been looking around at my LFSs. Only 2 in town after an ice storm closed down the other 2. One wants to charge as much as $80 for a basic green Zoa frag(yes frag), and the other has great frags, but I don't trust him. He tried to sell me a used 20L and stand for $210 saying they don't make them anymore. My petco and petsmart have the same tank and stand new for $130.

So this guy tried to make a quick buck and it cost him 90% of my business. I'm sure ill be buying most of my stuff online, and I hate that because I like to support my local community.

I feel your pain. There's one good store in NYC and for me it's a pain to get out to. The good thing about buying online is that you have a lot of options for aquacultured coral. I've been doing the bulk of my buying that way.

masterbuilder

All my corals have been bought online. Shipping can be a problem unless you buy alot at once, then it works out to be a really good deal. Hint...only buy WYSIWYG.

Sucks,here in socal we have tons of stores. If your looking to buy online take a look a wetthumbfrags.net or vividaquariums.com. They both sale awesome frags.

Nick's Reef

That stinks man, I have about 5 stores withing 20min of my house but I only really go to one, all the others don't know their stuff or have nasty pests I don't want. Luckily the one that I go to is awesome!

fishdaddy0831
All my corals have been bought online. Shipping can be a problem unless you buy alot at once, then it works out to be a really good deal. Hint...only buy WYSIWYG.

Thanks for making me feel old...still in my 20s, but I had to google WYSIWYG >< lol...then I /facepalm duh

Sucks,here in socal we have tons of stores. If your looking to buy online take a look a wetthumbfrags.net or vividaquariums.com. They both sale awesome frags.

Cool I'll check them out. Thanks

carbon-mantis

The LFS where I live swings wildly on coral prices. Most soft/leather frags for <$5 but $30 for a few brown zoas. And absolutely horrendous prices on their macro algae. $25 for a matchbox size lump of chaeto and $30 for a one inch halymenia sprout. The closest place where I can find something priced reasonably is almost a hundred miles away in Chattanooga. Honestly I cannot remember the store's name, but they have some wicked corals. The time and gas spent on the trip almost negates the value, sadly...

Man i feel extremely lucky, i have 2 GREAT lfs within 5 mins from my apt. Give away cheato/RO water for free :) and one sells ALL his zoa frags for 10$. an dhe does buy 3 get 1 free, buy 8 get 3 free

You can really blame the guy when you know how things work. Most likely a store like petco they buy their items directly from the manufacture causing them to get the deepest discounts. Petco and other larger stores are able to buy direct because they can afford the buyin requirements to get established directly with some of these manufactures.

Since this mom and pop store cannot afford these steep buyins they normally have to go through a distributor, in which sometimes the price he gets through the distributor is around the same price where petco is selling it for...which is very unfair.

Sometimes you have to pay more to support the local mom and pops store to help support the hobby. When you shop for price you are just supporting a large corporation in which is in it just for the money and not for the love of the hobby.

At times I do not mind paying full retail, because I know it helps keep the little mom and pop stores up float.

fishdaddy0831
You can really blame the guy when you know how things work. Most likely a store like petco they buy their items directly from the manufacture causing them to get the deepest discounts. Petco and other larger stores are able to buy direct because they can afford the buyin requirements to get established directly with some of these manufactures.

Since this mom and pop store cannot afford these steep buyins they normally have to go through a distributor, in which sometimes the price he gets through the distributor is around the same price where petco is selling it for...which is very unfair.

Sometimes you have to pay more to support the local mom and pops store to help support the hobby. When you shop for price you are just supporting a large corporation in which is in it just for the money and not for the love of the hobby.

At times I do not mind paying full retail, because I know it helps keep the little mom and pop stores up float.

I get what your saying, but this was a used tank and stand that I would bet he bought from petsmart a year or two back. Also he told me that you cant find that tank anymore. :P

Its nice to hear not all those in the US have it easy with LFS's!

I'm finding myself taking long journeys on public transport to try and find one I can really rely on and often end up just in a freshwater shop looking at some dirty tanks with neon tetras in <_< So far I'm having to rely on buying from other nearish enthusiasts on online communities like this.

I travel throughout the upper Midwest and am regularly put off by the lame offerings in places like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and Cincinnati. Thankfully here in Columbus we have the best LSFs I've seen: Phishy Business and Reef Systems. No ties, just a hometown plug.

There are so many great online vendors and our sponsors are the cream of the crop. Also aquacultured frags from other reefers is a great way to build relationships and get some sweet coral. WYSIWYG is the best way to get the coral you want.

Archived