Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

RENDOG'S 5.5 Gallon Pico

RENDOG

I have loads of the worms, they don't do any harm just cause stuff to close up for a minute or two. Love the LEDs they are pimped! Where did you get them from? How do you rate that substrate? I was going to use it for my 20g when i set it up. You going to add more rock? I think it would greatly benefit you if you did.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have loads of the worms, they don't do any harm just cause stuff to close up for a minute or two. Love the LEDs they are pimped! Where did you get them from? How do you rate that substrate? I was going to use it for my 20g when i set it up. You going to add more rock? I think it would greatly benefit you if you did.

Thanx Jamo. I really like the look of the LEDs too. I purchased them from Dr Foster and Smith Click Here. One bar of the White 10K and a linking bar of the Actinics (Blue).

The substrate seems fine. It is the one used by my LFS. I put the sand in first and then filled the tank but I did notice that it was super clear the whole time and never had to let it "clear up". It seems most people on here had to let their tank get uncloudy. Did I use the wrong sand?

I noticed changing the angles of the lights helped and raising them too. The glass on top has a darkish plastic hinge (i've also seen them use a black hinge which makes no sense to me) that gets in the way. I'm thinking of getting some glass cut and actually adding another bar of White LEDs.

Ok so i've seen some LR with Zoo's on them. I obviously don't want to put that in now while it's cycling. Is it better to buy LR pieces that I like and then add Zoo frags to them? Is that possible? I'm a beginner if you can't already tell.

You can totally get rock you like and then add corals to them later. That's the way I go about it (because I have limited space and can't fit whole zoa colony rocks in with my LR). The coral will grow and spread along your rocks.

How fast did you fill your tank? Did the sand swirl around? I'm sure it's fine. Lots of people use that sand to for their tanks. :) Looks good so far!

You can totally get rock you like and then add corals to them later. That's the way I go about it (because I have limited space and can't fit whole zoa colony rocks in with my LR). The coral will grow and spread along your rocks.

How fast did you fill your tank? Did the sand swirl around? I'm sure it's fine. Lots of people use that sand to for their tanks. :) Looks good so far!

Thanks for the info. I placed a bowl upside down on top of the sand (see first post with pics) and poured the water over the bowl. The sand didn't even move.

Do Zoa's multiply?

Thanx Jamo. I really like the look of the LEDs too. I purchased them from Dr Foster and Smith Click Here. One bar of the White 10K and a linking bar of the Actinics (Blue).

The substrate seems fine. It is the one used by my LFS. I put the sand in first and then filled the tank but I did notice that it was super clear the whole time and never had to let it "clear up". It seems most people on here had to let their tank get uncloudy. Did I use the wrong sand?

No man, you probs just washed it well, i washed mine the same i would gravel for my trop tanks, which is quickly and not enough, I like having murky water in my top tank as i keep amazonian fish so they live in very high levels of suspended sediment.

Thanks for the info. I placed a bowl upside down on top of the sand (see first post with pics) and poured the water over the bowl. The sand didn't even move.

Do Zoa's multiply?

Didn't see this post when i repied.

You were right to use the bowl, all books say do that when you fill your tank. I poured my water onto my rock as i had it heating whilst i waited for my paint to dry on the back of the tank/whilst i washed my sand.

My rock and an anemone and some small bristle stars and a bi valve etc, all survived the cycling, so you could get away with rock with some livestock on, how ever i would try and get rock that didn't have corals on just in case. To be honest i would bet nothing will go wrong. I haven't seen any help me threads on this forum, the info people can give here helps to a degree that begginers don't make mistakes. I mean i've only had my tank for two months and a bit and i've had no real problems.

Thanks Jamo.

I visited the LFS and purchased some more Live Rock. I will post up some pictures tonight. There is some growth on the live rock and I'd like to know whether to leave it or take it off.

100_2838.jpg

100_2842.jpg

100_2843.jpg

100_2844.jpg

100_2848.jpg

100_2851.jpg

100_2852.jpg

get some pics of it underwater, i guessing some type of red coralline algae

I didn't see any algae only weird red and black dots.

There is a pic that is a side view and you can see some black stuff on the top of the center rock....is that ok?

Also, some of the pics show some thin short hair like pieces sticking straight out of the rock...is this ok?

Thanks in advance.

the hair stuff is probably just hair algae. the CUC will take care of that. the black stuff looks like some type of dead algae

I don't see any algae either... if it isn't terribly long, I'd just let your CUC have at it. They'll make a meal of it and graze non-stop. I had some hair algae on one of the pieces of live rock I put in my tank... and between my snails and hermit crab, it was gone in a matter of days. No joke. Pics in my thread. :)

I don't see any algae either... if it isn't terribly long, I'd just let your CUC have at it. They'll make a meal of it and graze non-stop. I had some hair algae on one of the pieces of live rock I put in my tank... and between my snails and hermit crab, it was gone in a matter of days. No joke. Pics in my thread. :)

Ok cool...thanks for the response and info PSYS. I read your thread prior to purchasing my setup and it was helpful.

If anyone of you use this LED setup or any setup with a huge plug, you can use this to make room for your other plugs on the power outlet. It lifts the plug just high enough to sneak other ones next to or in front of the large plug.

100_2879.jpg

100_2878.jpg

100_2877.jpg

The lights look really really good in person, it totally makes the tank. It's hard to get the camera to reflect in pictures what I see in person.

100_2880.jpg

100_2881.jpg

100_2882.jpg

100_2883.jpg

More Hitchhikers....this is so fun.

Bristle Worm

worm.jpg

Snail

snail.jpg

One of many Dusters

duster.jpg

Copepods on glass near Thermometer