Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LED Pico Light

evilc66

You won't be able to change the base. The base contains the driver. You may be able to find an adapter for GU10 to medium base, but it will make it stick out a lot more. MR16 is out of the question for an adapter, as they are only low voltage DC lamps, not 90-220v AC.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6

Evil, this thing would work for a spotlight on a frag rack for SPS, right? I'm upgrading my display fuge to a 20g and I'm going to build in a frag rack on one side. About how many sq. inches is this light good for where the light spread underwater still has the PAR for SPS? If the replacements turn out well, I'll probably be in for one in the next GB.

If you are looking to spotlight just a certain coral, a tighter optic will allow higher PAR numbers at a greater distance. The amount of coverage and PAR will depend on how far the lamp is mounted from the coral.

You would have to use the 60 degree version on that one. Should be a good little bump in PAR at that distance. I was measuring 120 PAR at 12".

I'm actually playing with one similar to that, but without the remote. They only run at 2W per LED though. I haven't found any lamps that actually run at the rated wattage.

corallineadam
Your close Travis, but not quite. ;)

These are screw in bulbs, but they are running at 3x2W with 60 degree optics with genuine Cree XR-E LEDs (would I use anything less?). The Eco-Lamps versions are 1W LEDs (unknown brand) and I have no idea what angle optics they use.

Here are a few pictures:

DSC_0609.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

DSC_0612.jpg

These are a standard medium base bulb that will screw into any lamp or custom fixture. They run totally passive, so no fans needed. They do get warm, but not hot enough to do any damage or to burn you or anything else. I have been running this lamp for a while now, and it's doing quite nicely.

The lighting effect is a little different and acts more like a spotlight, but the effect is quite dramatic. Color is around 12K with one royal blue LED, and a 20K option will be available also with two royal blue LEDs. These are not adjustable.

Performance wise, they do pretty well for only 6W. Preliminary PAR levels were around 130 at 12", and will light an 8" diameter area pretty well. This will be good for the smaller picos, and two could be used for 12" wide tanks like the JBJ Picotope (and similar) and 2.5g AGA tanks. I will have full PAR measurements and tank pictures later this evening hopefully.

Now for the bottom line: cost. $75 shipped for 12K. $85 shipped for 20K (sorry, the extra LED costs me more).

I WANT ONE! next time you make some let me know please thanks

With the popularity of these, I will probably be making these in small batches in the near future, long before the next group buy. I will not be taking names now, but keep an eye out in the classifieds.

Hey Evil...Quick question...how heavy are these? I'm looking at fixtures and was wondering if a swing arm would handle it - that way I can mount on my drawing table and position over the betta cube to my liitle heart's content.

I'd have to weigh it, but I think a swing arm lamp should be fine. They are a lot heavier than a typical bulb because of the heatsink.

That is what I figured. Grabbed a nice chrome finish swing arm with good joint locks, so I think that will work...

With the popularity of these, I will probably be making these in small batches in the near future, long before the next group buy. I will not be taking names now, but keep an eye out in the classifieds.

PM sent

• 2 weeks later...

So I've posted about this light before and have a question. I'm an idiot when it comes to lighting and don't get the PAR thing. I'm working on a .6 gallon pico and have ordered 2 of these lamps. I read through your PAR measurements and distances from the tank and all that and I think all 3 distances still looked appealling visually. So if I put 2 of these lights 9" away from my tank and had a decent overlap what would that be equivalent to? You put 200 PAR but that doesn't mean much to me. I have a 75 that at one time had dual 250w MH's and now has 8x54w T-5's. I've also got a standard 10 with a 96w quad pc over it. My basic line is to get a crapload of light and then adjust my coral selection and placement accordingly. This tank will be entirely SPS, likely all acros. PAR-wise do you think it will work or will I have to put the lights like on top of the tank?

Thanks in advance for helping me to overcome my light idiocy.

Bill

You shouldn't have a problem keeping sps under that. 200 PAR seems to be the accepted minimum for good sps growth. More is always better with these guys of course.

I'll be shipping these this week BTW.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived