SaltCritters.com

LED Pico Light

evilc66

I may end up making and selling these in small lots. There seems to be a decent amount of interest in them.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the group buy is closed so you can't order right now. What I'm planning on doing is selling these premade in lots of 10, first come, fist served. This will happen probably some time next month when the first batch from the group buy are out the door.

You would need two for good coverage. Some lower light sps would do ok, but lps and softies will be fine.

reeflovin22
You would need two for good coverage. Some lower light sps would do ok, but lps and softies will be fine.

cool, thanks :)

oh if anyone has a tread with a tank using this light please give me a link to it... i would love to see it in action :happy:

I'm expecting the lamps in tomorrow, but the LEDs won't be here for another week or so. They are supposed to ship from ETG next Wednesday.

cool, thanks :)

oh if anyone has a tread with a tank using this light please give me a link to it... i would love to see it in action :happy:

I'll be sure to keep a thread on my tank once I receive the light and get started! :)

I'm expecting the lamps in tomorrow, but the LEDs won't be here for another week or so. They are supposed to ship from ETG next Wednesday.

Ok cool! Thanks again Evil!!!

I assume you'll let us know when the time to ship the completed light comes ;)

I'll be sure to keep a thread on my tank once I receive the light and get started! :)

Ok cool! Thanks again Evil!!!

I assume you'll let us know when the time to ship the completed light comes ;)

Of course.

Awesome little light Evil

Holy crap! What hole did you crawl out of? :)

I am so unbelievably pissed off right now it's not funny. I was excited to get the lamps in today, but it turned sour in a hurry. Needless to say, I never, ever recommend purchasing anything from LED-Mate (thanks Travis :angry: , j/k). Serves me right for trying to save a few dollars. This isn't the company I got the original one from. Come and see the horror...

CIMG1746.jpg

CIMG1749.jpg

First thing you can see is the piss poor soldering job. It's a mess, pure and simple. These LEDs were not reflow soldered, and as a result, the thermal pad on the LED is not soldered and has just thermal grease under it. Not acceptable.

If you look a little closer, you will see that there is damage to the domes on the LEDs from excessive heat while soldering, and fissures in the adhesive for the domes that will create artifacts in the light output.

Next up is the fact that the pcb is not bolted to the heatsink. It was relying on the pressure from the top plate to the lens to the LED. Not cool.

Needless to say, I tore these guys a new one and they will be returned and refunded. I will be ordering the new ones tonight from the right supplier so we can get this rolling. It's just going to put things back a little more. It's not like I was going to be able to send these out Moday anyway, as I don't have the LEDs yet.

Grrr.... :angry::angry::angry:

Awww, man! My tang and gigas are already in my pico. You mean their lights won't be here on Monday? Oh well, I read somewhere that they can live on PC's if you feed them heavy and don't skim.

:huh:

J/K man. Measure twice and cut once. I'll wait awhile for a quality product. Do what you've got to do to make it right. The UPS guy will still get it here when the time is right.

Bill

The new ones are on order already. I will hopefully see them about the same time the LEDs show up.

travisurfer

Wow, those lights just look like crap. I take no responsibility on this one whatsoever. If anything, you could have thanked me for doing the legwork in trying to find a cheaper alternative. ;) These lights are just crap though. That really sucks evil :( Hope everything works out alright.

It's ok Travis. I don't blame you for this. Looked good on paper. The only concern I have is if they refuse to refund my money once I send them back on Monday. If they play that, I have enough evidence, photographic and paper, to send to the credit card company to get the charges removed. All I have to scream is "fire hazard" and no-one will question it.

travisurfer
It's ok Travis. I don't blame you for this. Looked good on paper. The only concern I have is if they refuse to refund my money once I send them back on Monday. If they play that, I have enough evidence, photographic and paper, to send to the credit card company to get the charges removed. All I have to scream is "fire hazard" and no-one will question it.

Very true. Everything should work out in the end, but it sill sounds like a pain.

Good thing the very nature of this hobby teaches patience. For this kind of thing getting it right is more important then timeliness. Still you should have no problem with the CC company if they want to Aholes about it.

I know the others will be better. The new ones are coming from the guy that sold me the orignal. That one was top notch. Should see them next week.

motionless

Hey Evil,

I guess I read through this thread way too late (I ordered 2 of these in your group buy on impulse =) ). Will I be able to retrofit a MR16 or GU10 base myself? As you said GU10 has a lot of nice lamp options, while MR16s could just fit into my existing recessed lighting fixtures..

DL

Archived