Top Shelf Aquatics

LED Pico Light

evilc66

:lol: Very nice

As soon as the 36" version I am building for the 40B is done, then they will be available.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am unclear on what details are about to be posted, but I *hope* they include details on the super-slim actinic supplement and the 20" led fixture.

Guess what Tanque. Linky

Question for everyone.

Would you prefer these natural silver, or annodized black? It looks like the Sunpod actinics are getting annodized from the number of people interested, and I could get these thown in too. The volume of parts will prevent there being any cost added (hopefully). The only thing that could kill this is that they are painted, and they may charge extra to strip. What do you think?

Question for everyone.

Would you prefer these natural silver, or annodized black? It looks like the Sunpod actinics are getting annodized from the number of people interested, and I could get these thown in too. The volume of parts will prevent there being any cost added (hopefully). The only thing that could kill this is that they are painted, and they may charge extra to strip. What do you think?

you know what they say!

once you go black...

:P

I saw this on your group buy thread and it got me to thinking that you could do something like this in the same frame as one of those MH spot lights that they love on those Japanese tanks. I was cruising through the eco-lamps store and came across these:

http://www.eco-sell.com/services/eshop/mai...15W〈=us

Since they are running 5*3w couldn't the heatsink handle 5 cree XR-E lamps say with a really tight optic like 18 degrees for spotlighting on bigger tanks? You could set up a couple of these on a tank and get some nice coverage and get that all important streamlined look. Just an idea time for bed for me.

Could be a fun little project, but those lamps could be trouble. No indication as to the LED brand used, and you have no idea what the output angle is on those. Also, the chances of getting replacement optics for that setup are slim. There are lamps out there that will allow you to do what you want, but I guarantee it will cost you a lot more than what Eco-Lamps is charging.

Greenroomson

evilc66,

Thanks for all the info, I am thinking of jioning the gruops buy. However, I was wondering how many LEDs would be needed to get 200 PAR on a 20 gallon tall tank, (12x24x17") . You input would be much appreciated.

Green

When the sun goes out, the world will turn to evil.

Only when they start making 1 billion watt LEDs :lol:

Lets hope they aren't solar powered :P

Very nice lights Evil!

travisurfer
evilc66,

Thanks for all the info, I am thinking of jioning the gruops buy. However, I was wondering how many LEDs would be needed to get 200 PAR on a 20 gallon tall tank, (12x24x17") . You input would be much appreciated.

Green

:welcome:

I'm no expert, but 200 par would be simple to achieve. The expensive part would be getting that 200 par spread throughout the tank.

Thats what I was thinking. I don't think these lights would be too practical for that kind of setup. It can be done, and you could get a very Japanese look to the tank, but you could need 6-8 to get decent coverage. Thats $450-$600 if you wanted 12K only. You can build a full high power setup that will give much better coverage and more intensity for less than that. More work though.

So Travis, when are you ordering one for your tank? ;)

hey evil, what is the difference between the 12k and the 20k? does the 20k have 1 white and 2 blue LED's? or 1 white 1 blue and 1 purple?

somechineseguy

Evil, I just have a few questions about your new LED light for my 5.5g.

I never really understood the PAR system, I basically just had a 250w 20k MH setup and just moved corals around until they grew.

What kind of growth should I expect to get from zoas and possibly easy sps(digitata, montis) from probably 2 LED lights? probably the 20k version.

Also, what kind of life do these LEDS have? are these the type that still have 70% efficiency after 50000 hours?(ive seen this estimate before)

Thanks for your help!

Most anything will grow well under these. Sps will have to be higher in the tank, but montis will grow just fine. Keeping your water parameters in check in a small volume will be the key to success though.

These LEDs are top shelf Cree XR-E LEDs. Providing they don't overheat, these should give you a lot of life. I'm not going to guarantee that they will last for 13 years on a 10 hour schedule, but I would expect 4-5 without much trouble.

somechineseguy

what type of fixture is everyone planning on putting these in? I know they fit in most standard lamps, but just curious to see what others are doing.

i'm interested.

very cool.

but don't think i'll have decided in time for GB

:happy:

Well, I'll be sure to post lots of pics of my system when i get it up and running!

hopefully that can help you decide! :)

Archived