Top Shelf Aquatics

LED Pico Light

evilc66

I don't think you would need three, but two could work. A 5g tank that is 15" high can't be very wide, so two should be fine.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
airman_verde04

Hey Evilc66, Not to be a begger here. But since I cant see any pictures (because the Air Force sucks and so do there darn Firewalls) you mind hooking a brother up with some Pictures of your LED light thing on N-R picture uploader? I've been really wanting to see your handy work.

That seems awfully expensive.....especially for a "group buy". I don't mean to be a jerk but it seems you could stand to make a decent profit on this situation. But what do I know.......

Well, thats your perogative. If you don't like the price, don't buy one. I don't stand to make much when you consider the cost to ship the lamps to me, the cost of the LEDs and the shipping for them, the materials I need to make the modification, the time I put into modifying them, and the cost to ship them back out to you. Yes, I do make a little bit of money on them, but I think you will find that I don't exactly horde my information when it comes to LEDs. I have been more than generous with the information I have aquired over the years and anyone with a little savvy can do exactly what I'm doing. I do this so that those that don't have the tools, time, or technical aptitude can benefit from LEDs.

That seems awfully expensive.....especially for a "group buy". I don't mean to be a jerk but it seems you could stand to make a decent profit on this situation. But what do I know.......

you suck

evil has done all the leg work for everyone on this site and other sites when it comes to LED's so if anything I think we owe him even more.

Well, thats your perogative. If you don't like the price, don't buy one. I don't stand to make much when you consider the cost to ship the lamps to me, the cost of the LEDs and the shipping for them, the materials I need to make the modification, the time I put into modifying them, and the cost to ship them back out to you. Yes, I do make a little bit of money on them, but I think you will find that I don't exactly horde my information when it comes to LEDs. I have been more than generous with the information I have aquired over the years and anyone with a little savvy can do exactly what I'm doing. I do this so that those that don't have the tools, time, or technical aptitude can benefit from LEDs.

PWNED!

reeftankguy

GET A ROPE! :o

Thanks for the support guys, but it's a little harsh. If he doesn't think it's a good price, I'm not twisting his arm to buy one. I'll leave it at that.

I obviously should've stayed out of this but since its to late:

All I'm saying is......

$31.50 with same 2 watt leds

ledmate.jpg

$85

evillight.jpg

and.....

secret's out:

http://www.eco-sell.com/services/eshop/mai...ory&CatID=4

looks like he modified them to include a blue amongst the white :naughtydance:

PAR30-5EWE5W.jpg?1606905709

they even have different amounts of led's in the lights AND they screw into a standard house socket!!!

sorry evil...couldn't wait :flower:

Just an observation........you people need to calm down.

If I was just repackaging the same lamp, then you have every right to b!tch and scream. You do realize that I am modifying these to be usefull for reef use? Have you seen a 6500K light over a tank? Looks like poop. These are also using legit Cree XR-E LEDs, which are not so cheap, not those "Cree Equivalent" lamps that kick around on ebay.

If you don't like the price, build one yourself. If you were to build one yourself, it would cost you $34 for the lamp (plus $9 shipping), $16.40 for two XR-E royal blues from Cutter (only place you will be able to buy only 2 LEDs from, and it's $12.99 shipping), totaling $72.39. Add in a little cost for thermal compound and solder. By the time you factor in the cost I would have rolled in for shipping, you break even. Am I over charging now?

I buy in larger quantites, and make a few bucks in the process. Sue me.

GOT PWNED! Don't mess with the Evilc66, because he is the LEDs of Gawd.

ps: i wanna be on the group buy list!

Look I wasn't trying to ##### and moan, and I understand that your light is unique. Maybe the price is justified, but it just seemed expensive to me which is why I made that statement to begin with. I said "but what do I know?", because honestly I don't know ###### about leds. So sorry I said anything in the first place and thanks for being respectful about all this non-sense evil.

airman_verde04
If you don't like the price, build one yourself. If you were to build one yourself, it would cost you $34 for the lamp (plus $9 shipping), $16.40 for two XR-E royal blues from Cutter (only place you will be able to buy only 2 LEDs from, and it's $12.99 shipping), totaling $72.39. Add in a little cost for thermal compound and solder. By the time you factor in the cost I would have rolled in for shipping, you break even. Am I over charging now?

Yikes!!! Thats expensive!! oh well.. If I wasn't on suck a controled budget I would total buy one up from you. Its a little over my price range :unsure::(

But if I wasn't so broke, I would totally get one!! This thing rocks!! way to go Evil.

el fabuloso

LED is not cheap but it's worth every penny especially when you think about how much money you'll save in the long run. Evil definitely knows his stuff when it comes to LED and it's backed with top-notch solid craftsmanship.

This light gives me an idea for a second pico. :ninja:

Look I wasn't trying to ##### and moan, and I understand that your light is unique. Maybe the price is justified, but it just seemed expensive to me which is why I made that statement to begin with. I said "but what do I know?", because honestly I don't know ###### about leds. So sorry I said anything in the first place and thanks for being respectful about all this non-sense evil.

Sorry if I got a little too defensive.

LEDs are expensive unfortunately. A lot of the work I have done over the last year has definitely made it more affordable for people to get into with DIYs, but it's still a pretty heafty upfront cost. The long term benefits are great though, and you won't find a better way to get lots of light (and PAR) in a small area with little to no heat transfered into the tank. Currently, other than MH, there is no other way to go high light in a small tank.

Tanque Verde
Yup. Details may even be posted late Sunday night.

I am unclear on what details are about to be posted, but I *hope* they include details on the super-slim actinic supplement and the 20" led fixture.

I am unclear on what details are about to be posted, but I *hope* they include details on the super-slim actinic supplement and the 20" led fixture.

Actinics, maybe. No 20" fixture this time around.

Tanque Verde
Actinics, maybe. No 20" fixture this time around.

If not now, when? If not you, who?

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

If it's going to be, it's up to thee.

Never put off to tomorrow what you could do today.

I think you can, I think you can, I think you can.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Illumination is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. And PAR.

Archived