Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LED Pico Light

evilc66

Interesting. Have you tried running for example cree cool whites by themselves on a tank? If the red spectra are limited from the bulb, then there should be little algal growth based on that same hypothesis. I may end up testing this out over the summer although I don't have any spectrophotometers or whatever they use in this type of application.

I haven't run any arrays with strictly 6500K LEDs, but have seen no issues with algae growth that have been directly linked to the lights themselves. I use 6500K cool whites on all my fixtures, Cree and Luxeon. I have been planning on setting up my planted tank with LEDs, but the purpose of the growth kind of negates the test :)

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1337TANKHAX

as per the actinics, Evil said earlier that it was 85 for two blues and one white instead of 75 for one blue and two whites. so im guessing it would be 95 for all three blues.

What's the consensus on how everyone is going to mount these over their picotopes?

If it simply screws into a standard light socket... seems like it would have that amateur DIY look with a standard lamp sitting on your tank stand or clamped to the side of your tank? :mellow: I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet in this post... so I'm curious to see how everyone is going to use these lamps on their picos.

I like the more integrated look of the LED's that Evil did in the CurrentUSA fixture.

travisurfer
I haven't run any arrays with strictly 6500K LEDs, but have seen no issues with algae growth that have been directly linked to the lights themselves. I use 6500K cool whites on all my fixtures, Cree and Luxeon. I have been planning on setting up my planted tank with LEDs, but the purpose of the growth kind of negates the test :)

I just may have to try this then. If the spectrum is narrow enough, it sounds like an interesting concept. I'll let you know how it works if I decide to try it out. :)

They are 3W Crees. They are just not driven to 3W. The heatsink wouldn't be able to support a 50% increase in heat.

What's the consensus on how everyone is going to mount these over their picotopes?

If it simply screws into a standard light socket... seems like it would have that amateur DIY look with a standard lamp sitting on your tank stand or clamped to the side of your tank? :mellow: I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet in this post... so I'm curious to see how everyone is going to use these lamps on their picos.

I like the more integrated look of the LED's that Evil did in the CurrentUSA fixture.

the heatsink has to be open to the air as well.. unless you build a hood with a fan in it to draw the heat out.

So you think they'll be too weak for SPS? That's a great size for my little .6 gallon but I suppose i could double up on them and see what I can make happen.

As for mounting them...if I were to do 2 like that it might be interesting to rig up a little frame over my tank and hang them so as to look like 2 spotlights. If they'll screw into standard fixtures then you could really just mount the fixture in whatever apparatus you like and then screw the lights in. They look pretty slick for our tiny picos. It'll be nice to have a light that looks proportional to the tank.

Now to get it to support my incessant interest in SPS growing in tiny spaces.

Bill

Sps is possible, but it greatly depends on how high you mount the light. For a 0.6g tank, you can mount it pretty close, still get good color blending, and be able to support sps.

For all that are interested in this, would a different mount be better for you, like a GU10 or MR16? There seems to be more stylish lamps available for these types of bulbs. I went with the medium base bulbs for simplicity, but it seems like it may not be the best option. GU10 would be the most flexible as it can be purchased as 12v DC or 110v AC depending on the fixture. Price would be the same.

What do you think?

travisurfer

I think the medium-size socket is best just for convenience and ease of installation. That way, people can put them in desk lamps or whatever else they might want to use.

Thats the angle I was going for, but it seems like there are more stylish options for the other bases. It is a lot harder to get GU10 and MR16 sockets though for custom setups.

I think the setup you're offering now is just fine. The desk lamp compatability is a major plus for these tiny tanks. If you shop around you can find some neat stuff that looks custom but is fairly cheap.

And yes I did say SPS in a .6 gallon tank. I think it will do well...and no it's not my first tank. :P

Keep up the good work Evil.

Cool. I'll just offer the medium base bulb this time around. If there is demand for it later, I will look at GU10 and MR16 versions.

travisurfer
Cool. I'll just offer the medium base bulb this time around. If there is demand for it later, I will look at GU10 and MR16 versions.

That's a good call. I agree that the other bulbs do look a bit more stylish but the functionality of the medium base bulb puts it in the lead.

I'll be posting the group buy in about a week. I'll let you know in this thread as well as others when it kicks off.

travisurfer
does anyone know of a sleek fixture that could accommodate such a bulb? preferably clip-on?

My best advice is to just look around your local Lowes or Home Depot in the lighting section until you find something that best fits your application. If you can't find something you want, you can wire your own socket in a minute or two and mount it in whatever you want to. With a medium base bulb, the possibilities are nearly endless.

How many would I need for a 5 gal octagon tank (15 in high)? Will the 10K grow coral well?

This really isn't the best option for a tank of this size. You need something with more power than this can provide. You would have to place the lamp very close to the surface to get decent performance at the sandbed, but color blending would be poor at the upper levels (the blue LED would be very noticable). You could do two lamps and have them overlap closely to remove some of the color issues.

This really isn't the best option for a tank of this size. You need something with more power than this can provide. You would have to place the lamp very close to the surface to get decent performance at the sandbed, but color blending would be poor at the upper levels (the blue LED would be very noticable). You could do two lamps and have them overlap closely to remove some of the color issues.

Would three be overkill? Overlap? side by side or depth wise (one higher than the other)? Please excuse the noob questions. Your post was timely, as I was just starting to decide what light to get and the led solution sounds cutting edge. :D

Archived