Innovative Marine Aquariums

LED Pico Light

evilc66

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These look great! Trying to get a good understanding... Is this a replacement for lighting to where the white is day and blue is night? Or just specifically for moonlighting?

I'd like one for my Picotope!

I'm new to the whole lighting thing - what's the difference between the 12K and the 20K?

Anyway, if we want one shoudl we just fire you a PM?

12K is more of a clean crisp white. 20K is more blue.

There will be a group buy starting in about 2 weeks where you will be able to order one.

These look great! Trying to get a good understanding... Is this a replacement for lighting to where the white is day and blue is night? Or just specifically for moonlighting?

The white an blue LEDs are there to simulate different color temperatures. This is a little more than a moonlight ;)

If you are using the factory optics I would double check that 60 degree... factory distributor claims 35 degree optics.

I ordered these and verified that they are 60 degree optics. Where do you think I got these from? It's not Eco-Lamps.

Hay evil do these screw in just about any light socket, do they need ballast, and what is the price for one lamp like that one from u? :)

20081224145942bPic.jpg

got it ;)

Similar

Hay evil do these screw in just about any light socket, do they need ballast, and what is the price for one lamp like that one from u? :)

Please see post #49. Answers all your questions

Can you take some pics with a ruler next to them and can you give the dimensions?

I'll take some shots a little later when I do the PAR measurements.

Ok, PAR measurements. Keep in mind, this is only 6W of LEDs so the numbers aren't going to be mind blowing. They will be better than most any option we have for small pico lighting. Measurements are taken from bottom face of the lamp to the sandbed.

18": 60 PAR

14": 80 PAR (gives better color blending)

12": 120 PAR (blue becomes more noticable)

9": 200 PAR (effective illumination area goes down to 6" diameter)

Here are some pictures showing the effect, and the amount of blue that starts coming in as you lower the lamp close to the sand bed (left side on the pics).

DSC_0618.jpg

14"

DSC_0619.jpg

12"

DSC_0620.jpg

9"

The tank is 8"x8"x6" so you have a size reference.

travisurfer

evilc66: I was thinking about these LED setups and the spectral output of a cool white cree is between 4800-5500k, correct? Well, with the majority of the light coming from these led's, wouldn't the increased amount of light from the lower spectra also increase algal growth?

For example:

blackbody_5000Ksml.gifblackbody_10000Ksml.gif

The 5000k produces significantly more light of longer wavelengths(reds and yellows) that would tend to increase algal growth in comparison to the 10000k, which is closer to standard reef aquarium lighting.

Any thoughts on this? I haven't used LEDs so I don't have any experience with this, but I would be curious to see your take on this subject.

10K bulbs actually produce a very large amount of red light. The balance of red to blue in the 5000K LEDs hasn't shown any issue with algae growth at all so far. It's mainly due to the fact that the peak is still relatively narrow, and not as intense as a typical 10K PC bulb.

LEDs end up working a little differently because of the very selective spectral output that can be designed into the LED as opposed to the very broad, full spectrum output of any other white lighting source.

Currently I have 24w of PC lighting over a 3g JBJ pico. I have been considering a 70w Viper or the 36w dual satellites. How would one of these compare to either of those choices? The tank is mainly softies but will have SPS.

Might be a little weak for sps unless you get the lamp closer to the tank. You would also need two of them for proper coverage.

travisurfer
10K bulbs actually produce a very large amount of red light. The balance of red to blue in the 5000K LEDs hasn't shown any issue with algae growth at all so far. It's mainly due to the fact that the peak is still relatively narrow, and not as intense as a typical 10K PC bulb.

LEDs end up working a little differently because of the very selective spectral output that can be designed into the LED as opposed to the very broad, full spectrum output of any other white lighting source.

Interesting. Have you tried running for example cree cool whites by themselves on a tank? If the red spectra are limited from the bulb, then there should be little algal growth based on that same hypothesis. I may end up testing this out over the summer although I don't have any spectrophotometers or whatever they use in this type of application.

eddiecorrea

Very nice evil. I will end up getting one I'm sure. Just gotta start the new tank but I gotta wait a few months.

Archived