ReefCleaners.org

Kraylen's Aquaclear 110 Fuge Mod

Kraylen

You can find the plastic glue kit at Ace, Lowes, Home Depot etc etc...

Thanks much sir. I will put that on the list of a few things that I still need to pick up before I begin the project.

Did something similar a ways back except not as fancy :) Found when you used the bottom of the basket on the front of the AC, I began to get some green algae growth in the little squares that further restricted flow. Never really had any algae issue in my tank but because the light from the aquarium shines very close to where this piece of plastic sits, with restricted flow the algae began to form. So I had to remove this algae regularly and when I did, had no issues with the operation of the fuge.

Have you noticed any algae growth on yours? Mine wasnt immediate but ultimately I ended up removing the screen and instead piping in a small variable gph output powerhead and tubing to the intake and unplugging the AC completely. That way I could restrict flow simply by changing the speed on the powerhead.

This was back before LEDs were being used and instead used a 50/50 screwin PC bulb and a small light that easily fit on top of the AC.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...cfm?pcatid=9870

Not nearly as interesting as the LED but it grew chaeto and small coral frags just fine.

Edited by MillerLite

i did it!! thanks so much kray.

ill post pics some other day :mellow: too tired.

but good diy guide, im pretty happy with how mine came out for my first DIY

Thanks guys, I have no issues really with the fuge getting clogged up too much in the front... but I keep large strand cheato and dragons breath in masses in the fuge so not much room for other algae to grow the grapes that was growing in the tank has vanished. I also upgraded the light from the clip on LED to a current 38w PC fixture and it works GREAT. It fits right on top perfectly, you can use or remove the AC110 lid and it works either way. I like the fact that the black paint on the outside of the fuge keeps "the xray effect" out... meaning in a clear fuge, if you use a powerful light its going to pour out of the transparency of the filter.

i did your diy as well, loved it up till now, I'm finding my chaeto floats to the top and plugs the screen of causing the water to overflow out the intake side making a mess. I've resiricted the flow as much as the 110 will alow me, do i need to change impellors or is there an easier solution to this? Ideally i was useing a filter pad between the intake and the first wall as a water cleaner for debris but unless i can keep the chaeto out of the exit screen this won't work. Open for any solutions.

i did your diy as well, loved it up till now, I'm finding my chaeto floats to the top and plugs the screen of causing the water to overflow out the intake side making a mess. I've resiricted the flow as much as the 110 will alow me, do i need to change impellors or is there an easier solution to this? Ideally i was useing a filter pad between the intake and the first wall as a water cleaner for debris but unless i can keep the chaeto out of the exit screen this won't work. Open for any solutions.

Try removing some of the cheato and trading/selling/throwing it away. Also, you need to clean the fuge screen with a tooth brush once in a while. Overgrown is overgrown :) I am using a combo of cheato and dragons flame with no problems.

I see, I'll give it a clean but there's only a small amount of chaeto in there right now. Maybe fills 1/4 of the fuge as i just got it and it hasn't really had a chance to really grow yet. I was toying with voiding the first wall and moving it closer to the middle giving more room for flow and the last bit for the chaeto, any thought on that?

• 6 months later...
What kind of schedule do people keep their light for the chaeto on?

i either do a reverse cycle with the tank, or if im lazy i just leave it on 24/7....it grows either way

Thanks guys, I have no issues really with the fuge getting clogged up too much in the front... but I keep large strand cheato and dragons breath in masses in the fuge so not much room for other algae to grow the grapes that was growing in the tank has vanished. I also upgraded the light from the clip on LED to a current 38w PC fixture and it works GREAT. It fits right on top perfectly, you can use or remove the AC110 lid and it works either way. I like the fact that the black paint on the outside of the fuge keeps "the xray effect" out... meaning in a clear fuge, if you use a powerful light its going to pour out of the transparency of the filter.

Did you upgarde because the LED wasn't working or just wanted to. I am wondering because this tank is going to be in my daughters room and I am going to try and minimize light.

LebaneseDlight
I thought this also.... But if you look at his profile it says.... Last Active Today, 02:34 PM

He's still around! Comments on pictures from time to time. I vote to remove the ban ;) He always provides the board with entertainment, and usually some good advice mixed in as well.

• 1 year later...

Yes I'm bumping a hella old thread...that's how sweet this is.

I'm picking up an Aquaclear 110 tomorrow and already have an Aquaclear 50 in a 20 Long. I have about 40lbs of Live rock and 30lbs of sand. I'm going to make one of these into a refugium and keep one as a filter with purigen, floss.

Which would you guys recommend I make into the fuge, and why? I'll be throwing some chaeto and probably some Gracilaria mammillaris in as well.

Gracias.