Top Shelf Aquatics

Flat shell snail ID help, mini abalone?

TheDoughboy

TheDoughboy

I saw this lil unknown guy crawling on my rocks Friday night and I kinda wigged out. I was not sure I'd get my tweezers in time to get him before he Disappeared into the unknown. I won the race, I'm faster than a snail :D

Anyways... I have not been able to id him from pics on any site or using the magical search button. He has a flat shell like an abalone from what I can tell. But maybe all snail shells are like this when their babies and he is a good guy?? I have him in a jar without heat and he seems fine at room temp.

Just would like to know if I keep it or feed to the growler.

Any help is appreciated!

IMG_0869-1.jpg

IMG_0866-1.jpg

IMG_0865-1.jpg

lakshwadeep

Be careful when trying to catch them. Stomatellas can release part of their tail if threatened, similar to some lizards.

Probably one of the best and hardest to find snails. I only ever get them as hitchhikers.

I saw one of these in my tank for the first time today. He'd crawled up to the highest point of a rock and was spewing dots into the water - spawning behaviour? Any chance I really have two or more of these?

Osric

TheDoughboy
Send him to me!

He's back in the tank. Who knows if I'll ever see him again. Tanks been up for 3 months and never saw him til now.

Archived