ReefCleaners.org

First video of my tank...

Gromet

No, I think I'm going to stick with the advice of my buddy who has been fish/reefing for over 30 years. Someone whos results I can see and I know, knows what he is doing...

Gromet

I'm sure your friend is very knowledgeable in general fish keeping, but what I've found is that people who don't do nano's, don't usually know a ton about them. Someone who keeps a 100+ gal tank does not need to worry about the same things as a 10gal tank and vice versa.

I gotta say though, after reading a post on craigslist, this tank doesn't look that bad. It has 2 tangs in a 30...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
true^.

short term, you should take back the fish and read up on what fish will do well in your tank. you also need to consider what types of corals / invertebrates you plan to keep in the future while composing your NEW fish list. this will help in in the decision making process.

definitely ditch whatever lfs it is that sold you those fish because, either:

a. they don't give a crap about the fish and are just looking to make a buck.

b. don't know crap about what they are selling

either way you are doomed if you keep taking thier advice.

yep

ive been to 17 LFS during my life, and only one has given me advice id trust, and even then id still do some background reading. this one was maintained by someone who ran the royal aquarium in bahrain 10 years ago so yea

as to overstocking it can be done, just, slowly, and you need to have the right method about it, ie filtration water changes feeding regime. dont forget that overstocking isnt only down to metabolite but physical well being of the fish, territory issues etc

edit* just saw your 30 year old reefer post or whateverr, if u deny the help, i hope you've come to terms with seeing your livestock suffering and slowly wasting away in your tank. personally at this point i hope someone comes and steals them or they die fast rather than slowly suffering. or that you come to your senses but im trying to be realistic here

Decent rule for fish and tank size is 5 gallons per 1 inch fish (it works fairly well and gives a margin of error) however fish species needs to be kept in mind also. Tangs need room to swim, even at the size your tang is I wouldn't suggest anything less than 24"+ of swimming room and that'll turn into 48" within a few months. The fish you are keeping and seahorse have totally different habitats and need to be separated immediately. It'd be best to focus on one thing only, if you want to go seahorse the tank will fit well with them provided you change it up a bit (correct temp specific for the species of seahorse, lots of branching live rock/plants and correct feeding).

- just saw your posting about 1.5 inch per gallon, never heard of this before it may work for freshwater but definitely not for saltwater

- this is definitely one of the harsher forums i've been to (after reading this thread) I hope it doesn't deter you from SW keeping as it is a great hobby, however if it isn't done right it shouldn't be done at all. Only way to keep the bioload you currently have is to do bi-weekly water changes and run lots of media to remove harmful substances. Either way the small space will stress out the fish and if there were even a chance any of the fish had parasites (ich on the tang possibly) it will take hold shortly and kill your fish.

ok ok.....i've been doing this for a very very long time and i have to tell you the truth about what ur doing. First off i know you may think that the ppl on here are being rude and you know what you may be right BUT, the fact that you have a hippo tang (which btw can get to be about a foot long!!) and a batfish which are tricky enough to keep in a larger tank tells me that you did not in fact do enough research and you've made a mistake but the fact that you're letting a thing like pride get in the way of taking proper care of animals that obviously need much much more space then what you have set up for them tell me that you are and i'm sorry to say, being very ignorant. Plus you CAN NOT overstock a reef tank with large fish b/c you will have nothing but problems with things like alkalinity, phosphate, and nitrate so PLEASE dude, do the right thing bring the fish back to the store and move on and STOP arguing with ppl that may be (to you) a bit snotty. But are just trying to give you sound advice!!!

ohhh and btw seahorses need a species tank........do some reading and figure our what that is before you start wasting money and killing some thing as beautiful as a seahorse

it will starve to death b/c it can NOT compete for food with everything else you have in the tank

Hmm that Pinnate batfish doesnt look good in the video...fins look kinda like they been picked on. Color doesnt seems vivid.

Ive seen a few at a friends warehouse and its much more brighter then that. He has a really nice large one in a show tank (approx 200g) that he has had for about 2 years now. Its seriously not a fish for a nano reef. Its cruel to even keep it in that tank....such a wonderful fish, maybe trade it for another coral? or maybe another piece of hardware. Maybe even ask a friend with a large tank to house him for you while you save up for a bigger tank. It almost brings a tear to my eye.

I also agree that there is TOO many fish (to large of a bioload).

How are you water parameters?

Just "please" post a new video of an empty tank when it's all done... So that way we all know that the death camp has been liberated. And then I will say a final prayer for the fish.

• 2 months later...

when you use the 1" per.. rule.. its u measuring their max. length not the one they are right now. Plus, a small tank will hinder its growing and shorten its life span plus add stress, possibly hinder the immunity and then die...

wow...i mean...WOW LOL

Nano tanks are not a joke...nano's consider more work done to them than larger tanks...even though people are rude or not being civil about replies to your thread...most of them are right...batfish bad idea...tang...bad idea...sea horse...just gonna stop

i would understand if you had a bigger tank that just started its cycling and you were gonna switch the bat tang within a month or less but your not....

please return the fish....either that or get ready for a crash....didnt say that all these people told you so

HeyLookItsCaps

reefing for 30 years? im surprised he even knows what an all in one is then. the hobby has changed. i wonder how many damsels he killed cycling the tanks hes had, if he exists.

has anything died yet?

The_Yellow_Pony

Wow.... It looked for a second, maybe somewhere on page 4 or so that you were going to maybe take some advice....and then you come back with "my friends been doing it for 30 yrs".

Maybe you just came over to make a scene. Are you just making the rounds? Getting one board riled up to the point where you are flamed to death, then moving on to the next.

Good luck bro.

This thread is fail.

971d1234136012-fail-thread-shipmentoffail.jpg

Archived