SaltCritters.com

First video of my tank...

Gromet

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me ask you all this... Not even discussing type of fish, how many fish (Limit) would you put in this tank?

It really does depend on the fish. But, personally...I would put in two picassos or maybe 2 black clownfish and two small gobies. Probably a Green banded goby and a Neon goby. Or maybe a YWG and a pistol shrimp combo. I wouldn't go more than 4 small fish but I'm pretty conservative with my stocking. In my 35g I only have two percs and a sixline. I would have one more fish but the sixline won't have any part of that.

Depends on the type of fish.

+1

Personally I'd limit it to 3 small fish that remain small. Like 3 inches maximum on each of them. You also have to remember that a 24g AIO tank isn't 24 gallons of swimming room. Part of the water volume is in the back filtration area.

3 or 4 sunfish, but no more than 5, 6 max.

OK, so right now I have 5... Obviously the Batfish Is = to more then 1 due to it's size... How overstocked can it be??? and even using the rule of 1.5 inch of fish per gallon or even 2" of fish per gallon, we are still way under the limit, no?

This is not a question about ypes of fish but sizes and overstocking...

+1

Personally I'd limit it to 3 small fish that remain small. Like 3 inches maximum on each of them. You also have to remember that a 24g AIO tank isn't 24 gallons of swimming room. Part of the water volume is in the back filtration area.

No no I realize this, I'm basically about 19 gallons on the display side...

in a 19 gallon tank there is no way you can tell me that you should limit to 3 fish... you are basically saying 6.3" gallons per fish???

molamola.jpg = sunfish.

ima get out of this thread now, so I don't get in trouble for antagonizing. good luck, gromet.

Wow. I've never seen or heard of that fish before! We used to catch little sunfish in the ocean when I was a kid but they obviously didn't look anything like that!

in a 19 gallon tank there is no way you can tell me that you should limit to 3 fish... you are basically saying 6.3" gallons per fish???

There is no inch per gallon rule in saltwater/reef.

Throw that type of thinking right out of the window when dealing with marine fish it does not work that way.

SpankythePyro

Gromet,

Learning the balance of a tank takes time. That is why you add slowly. The batfish isn't the only problem fish, the tang is a POOP FACTORY!.

I suggest taking back the bat, the tang, and the seahorse and using that to do some upgrades that will allow you to run a tank that will only need to consider swimming room and not bioload when adding fish. To do this make sure you have enough live rock that has cultured bacteria. Use some purigen and chemi-pure. And have a working protein skimmer.

Spanks

There is no inch per gallon rule in saltwater/reef.

Throw that type of thinking right out of the window when dealing with marine fish it does not work that way.

OK, so please, what is your formula or stocking guideline?

Well 3 fish at 3" each=9" total. That's about equal to 1" per 2gallons of water. I don't believe in the whole inches per gallon rule as it doesn't take into account for the habits and behaviors of fish. Example, a small tang may be small but is still a very active swimmer, so it would still need a larger tank to be happy. On the other hand, some shrimp gobies can get to be fairly large for some nano tanks but they aren't actively swimming so they don't require as large a tank to swim in. The main focus is that there should be enough LR to handle the bioload of the tanks inhabitants and though your tank may be fine right now, a crash can happen overnight. You can look at a tank before you go to bed and everything is fine and when you wake up in the morning half your livestock can be dead or dying.

We aren't trying to scare you away from the site or reefkeeping. Many of us are very passionate about fish and corals and want the best for them and can sometimes come off as rude. I wish you and your tank well and just hope that you make the right decision for your tanks sake and for your livestock.

SpankythePyro
YOUR TANK IS OVER STOCKED. that is all

while not writing out that he has made a mistake he has admitted to it by asking for help, don't bash him after he acknolwedges doing something wrong and asks for help... that is when you get to be an ass

OK, so please, what is your formula or stocking guideline?

My formula would not apply to you due to things like equip/maint/salt/rock amount/etc

I do push limits but I build around them to accompany.

Two things to remember:

-Inch per gallon does not work in this hobby

-One keepers formula may not work for you, meaning its almost impossible to emulate something exactly.

YOUR TANK IS OVER STOCKED. that is all

Yeah, instead of writing what other people have said just to be an ass you should offer up some advice. No wonder you have 2000 posts in 4 months, you offer nothing but comments you think are funny.

Two things to remember:

-One keepers formula may not work for you, meaning its almost impossible to emulate something exactly.

This is really good advice, all you can do is see what other people with successful reefs have done and try to match their results. Factors like the personanlity of a fish make one persons success hard to match.

Deleted User 6

My advice is that if you want to be a part of this community, take everyone's advice and take the fish/horse back. Our knowledge of nano tanks is based on years of trial and error and it's fairly accurate at this point. Your other option is to stop posting on here and do what you want. Find another online community that agrees with you (if you can) or trust the LFS (not a great idea). My hope is that you'll listen up and take our advice to heart. We care about those fish in your tank and we care about having another responsible reefer in this hobby. Most of us have done something stupid early on, gotten yelled at, fixed the problem or expressed remorse over whatever we killed, and moved on a bit more knowledgeable and responsible. Good luck with your tank.

KennyBlankenship

I still don't get why you are tying to cram this tank so full. Do you think it looks good to have a tank full of a bunch of fish that do not have room to display their natural behaviours?

Do you think your tang has enough room to use it's caudal fin at full power? I bet it is all the way on the other side of the tank with one stroke of its tail.

The tank looks like a shopping cart in that game show where contestants pile as much crap into their cart as they can in 60 seconds.

If you want things that stimulate you with all sorts of pretty colors, get some corals. They don't need room to swim.

The inch per gallon rule is not realistic is SW tanks.

Finding ideal stocking is based on reading up on each fish and then trying to provide an ideal environment for them based on tank length and not just total volume, a guess as to what the bioload your tank can support, and other inhabitants. Its not just about "maybe I can fit another 3.45" of fish in there.

Finally, with a tang that size, and a batfish, I hope you are looking for a 300+ gallon tank RIGHT NOW. From liveaquaria: "Most Batfish can reach a size of around 15 inches in captivity and adapt well to the average home aquarium. Batfish grow extremely fast and an adequately sized tank with plenty of swimming room must be considered."

Yeah, instead of writing what other people have said just to be an ass you should offer up some advice. No wonder you have 2000 posts in 4 months, you offer nothing but comments you think are funny.

i did think it was funny. i meant to put a :P because it reminded me a family guy. that is all

My formula would not apply to you due to things like equip/maint/salt/rock amount/etc

I do push limits but I build around them to accompany.

Two things to remember:

true^.

short term, you should take back the fish and read up on what fish will do well in your tank. you also need to consider what types of corals / invertebrates you plan to keep in the future while composing your NEW fish list. this will help in in the decision making process.

definitely ditch whatever lfs it is that sold you those fish because, either:

a. they don't give a crap about the fish and are just looking to make a buck.

b. don't know crap about what they are selling

either way you are doomed if you keep taking thier advice.

Archived