Coral Vue Hydros

First video of my tank...

Gromet

Hey there all.

Thought I would post the first video I took today of my reef tank... Yesterday my wife added her first fish to her fish only tank... It's one video. About 10 minutes and shows both tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjnKI0AaDtI

Mine is a 24 Gallon Aquapod.

2 Clown Fish

1 Royal Blue Tang

1 Batfish

1 Diamond Watchman Goby

1 Seahorse

1 Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

3 Turbo Snails

3 Hermit Crabs

1 Horseshoe Crab

1 Blue Maxima Clam

1 Long Spiny Urchin

1 Yellow Sebae Anemone

True Blue Mushrooms

Red Colony Polyps

My Wife Lexy got a 12 Gallon Eclipse.

She just added a Porcupine Puffer. She is planning on adding a Popeyed Sea goblin and an angler...

Enjoy...

Gromet

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no worries no need to be sorry.

Um your tank is WAY overstocked. The only suitable fish for that tank is clown fish and watchmen goby. Please take the rest out. The anenome also will most likely not last very long under those lights. Now will the clam in those lights. My main concern is the tang, batfish and seahorse, please take them back

no worries no need to be sorry.

Um your tank is WAY overstocked. The only suitable fish for that tank is clown fish and watchmen goby. Please take the rest out. The anenome also will most likely not last very long under those lights. Now will the clam in those lights. My main concern is the tang, batfish and seahorse, please take them back

LOL That's funny. the video is up now.

Oh god, here we go.. these threads should just be deleted before reaching 2 pages.

OP, your tank is overstocked with fish that have no business in a nano. Some of which require a 50 galon tank minimum to live comfortably. Every response will tell you this, so go fix it now.

*edit*

Okay, I read your video description and your wifes tiny tank has a puffer in it.. and it was established YESTERDAY. Are you two complete idiots? Return ALL of these fish to where you got them from and don't return to the hobby until you learn a little more than how to mix salt and tap water together. Either this thread is a joke (which I am hoping is) or you two decided to throw a pufferfish into a tiny 1-day old tank.

I am not an animal activist, but I am against seeing animals suffering and slowly being poisoned to death because of people like you.

If you took the advice of your local fish store, punch whoever gave you this advice in the back of the head next time you see them, and then punch eachother for being so stupid. repeatedly.

WOW... OK, Where to begin?

This is one of the rudest forums I have ever visited. Whether your opinions and advice are right or wrong, there is a way to talk to people that has just escaped the people of this forum ha?

I actually checked out these responses and read through a lot of this forum... I'm actually dumbfounded by how clueless a lot of the posters on this forum seem to be. Where do you people get your information?

My tank is overpopulated? At the moment NO, it's not... As things grow yes they will get tight, BUT this is not their permanent home. A much larger tank will be going into our home over the next year which will become the home for a lot of my tanks inhabitants. There is NOTHING wrong with them in a tank this size.

Where do all of you get the ridiculous notion that you need to have metal halide lights for ANYTHING to flourish and live in a tank? This advice is thrown all over this board and it is absolutely untrue. in a 64Watt PC hooded tank a clam will do just fine... You would not want it sitting way low in the sand, but if you place it halfway or higher up in the tank, it would do just fine...

Lets talk about Seahorses... my seahorse is not in danger as none of the fish in my tank are aggressive. The main concern with seahorses is that they will not compete for food... SO you have to make sure he is eating. I have basically watched my seahorse every night I feed and make sure he is eating, which he is. So whats the problem? Nothing.

The Tang... Tangs are very susceptible to ich, we all know that. My tang got ich when first put in the tank, but my cleaner shrimp took care of the issue in a few days... the tang has grown and been very lively and happy in the tank ever since. Shows no signs of stress and is very active in the tank. so whats the issue here?

Batfish. the Batfish is just fine the size he is now and even a bit larger, he has plenty of room in ther right now... Over time he is definitely going to be transferred to my larger tank. At the moment thought he is not reef aggressive and not to large. so problem?

The Anenome... Again, where do you people get the idea that an anemone can't flourish unless under MH Lights? My anemone was first put in the tank and he went to the bottom in the substrate. I let him do his own thing and within a week or so of trying a few different spots he latched on where he is now and has been happy ever since... Color has not changed and has shown no signs of stress? Again, whats the issue?

My WIFE'S tank. No one mixed salt and tap water together thank you... I have a RO/DI system and do know how to make clean saltwater thank you... so the tank is setup, filtering and water temp and salt levels are correct. Have you ever heard of BIO-Spira? With Bio-Spira, once Salt and temp is correct, pour the bio-spira in while acclimating a fish and buy the time the acclimation is finished, your tank is fine for a fish to live in. I understand maybe some of you are skeptical of this product, but I am not as I have seen it work on a number of tanks. The Puffer fish has plenty of room. There is no live rock or sand that will be cycling. The puffer is fine and will be fine...

I understand that most of you are truly just trying to help people but you can be some of the rudest people I have ever run into on the net... Just because you have tried something once and it has either worked or not worked does not make you experts in any way on this subject. I think you people really need to get over yourselves and maybe you could learn a few things...

Gromet

TriggerHappyDude

You could live in 5ftx5ft room, with air, a light, and if someone brought you food, but would you enjoy that? Now add your wife, and any other relatives you have to the room, up to say 5 or 6 more people, would that be a great life or what? I'd be really upset, and will be if you add a Triggerfish to any of these tanks. I think the point some are trying to make is, some of these fish are "swimmers" and need a place to swim, you are giving them a place to wade. You've picked mostly the wrong fish for these tanks, and its sad to see.

No one can make you take back the fish, but I doubt we see you around here showing off your tank in five months or so...it will probably be empty unless you keep buying fish to restock after the ones you have now die off...nano-reef tanks I think were started as a way to keep small reef tanks, not small tanks with big fish...

The advice on this board is just as good as it is anywhere on any other board, its advice and opinions of people who are experienced or are learning. You are learning, that is obvious. Nice 5 posts. Take your new prized video over to Reef Central and see if you don't get lit up over there as well..we are hoping its just a joke thread meant to see how many passionate reefers will start flaming...if so good job!

The fish you are wanting and keeping in these nano-reef tanks need bigger tanks, more room to swim, to be healthy and happy. They might look fine now, but over time its going to wear on them and you won't have them as long as you think.

SpankythePyro

1.) You did not do your research

2.) You can tell by how your batfish is behaving. Look at how big he is and how little room he has to swim.

3.) You say you will get a larger tank within the next year? Well your hippo will likely out grow that biocube in a couple months if it doesn't die from stress.

4.) If you really had any knowledge or respect for reefing you would know to be patient... also it sounds like you introduced all that life in at once or very quickly... have fun with the surprise waste buildup and the unstable ecosystem you have created.

btw: none of us are being rude, we are hitting you on the head with a baseball bat to knock some sense into your noggin

WOW... OK, Where to begin?

This is one of the rudest forums I have ever visited. Whether your opinions and advice are right or wrong, there is a way to talk to people that has just escaped the people of this forum ha?

I actually checked out these responses and read through a lot of this forum... I'm actually dumbfounded by how clueless a lot of the posters on this forum seem to be. Where do you people get your information?

My tank is overpopulated? At the moment NO, it's not... As things grow yes they will get tight, BUT this is not their permanent home. A much larger tank will be going into our home over the next year which will become the home for a lot of my tanks inhabitants. There is NOTHING wrong with them in a tank this size.

Where do all of you get the ridiculous notion that you need to have metal halide lights for ANYTHING to flourish and live in a tank? This advice is thrown all over this board and it is absolutely untrue. in a 64Watt PC hooded tank a clam will do just fine... You would not want it sitting way low in the sand, but if you place it halfway or higher up in the tank, it would do just fine...

Lets talk about Seahorses... my seahorse is not in danger as none of the fish in my tank are aggressive. The main concern with seahorses is that they will not compete for food... SO you have to make sure he is eating. I have basically watched my seahorse every night I feed and make sure he is eating, which he is. So whats the problem? Nothing.

The Tang... Tangs are very susceptible to ich, we all know that. My tang got ich when first put in the tank, but my cleaner shrimp took care of the issue in a few days... the tang has grown and been very lively and happy in the tank ever since. Shows no signs of stress and is very active in the tank. so whats the issue here?

Batfish. the Batfish is just fine the size he is now and even a bit larger, he has plenty of room in ther right now... Over time he is definitely going to be transferred to my larger tank. At the moment thought he is not reef aggressive and not to large. so problem?

The Anenome... Again, where do you people get the idea that an anemone can't flourish unless under MH Lights? My anemone was first put in the tank and he went to the bottom in the substrate. I let him do his own thing and within a week or so of trying a few different spots he latched on where he is now and has been happy ever since... Color has not changed and has shown no signs of stress? Again, whats the issue?

My WIFE'S tank. No one mixed salt and tap water together thank you... I have a RO/DI system and do know how to make clean saltwater thank you... so the tank is setup, filtering and water temp and salt levels are correct. Have you ever heard of BIO-Spira? With Bio-Spira, once Salt and temp is correct, pour the bio-spira in while acclimating a fish and buy the time the acclimation is finished, your tank is fine for a fish to live in. I understand maybe some of you are skeptical of this product, but I am not as I have seen it work on a number of tanks. The Puffer fish has plenty of room. There is no live rock or sand that will be cycling. The puffer is fine and will be fine...

I understand that most of you are truly just trying to help people but you can be some of the rudest people I have ever run into on the net... Just because you have tried something once and it has either worked or not worked does not make you experts in any way on this subject. I think you people really need to get over yourselves and maybe you could learn a few things...

Gromet

Overstocking can be done quite successfully if you know what you're doing. Obviously you don't. Bio spira, lol.

Just watched the video, man, your LFS got you good!!!! Tell ya what, why don't you fly over here to Tx, give me $100, I'll kick you in the nuts and send you on your way. That would be a lesser waste of money, and only the idiot who set up these tanks would be the one suffering.

1.) You did not do your research

2.) You can tell by how your batfish is behaving. Look at how big he is and how little room he has to swim.

3.) You say you will get a larger tank within the next year? Well your hippo will likely out grow that biocube in a couple months if it doesn't die from stress.

4.) If you really had any knowledge or respect for reefing you would know to be patient... also it sounds like you introduced all that life in at once or very quickly... have fun with the surprise waste buildup and the unstable ecosystem you have created.

btw: none of us are being rude, we are hitting you on the head with a baseball bat to knock some sense into your noggin

1.) You have no idea of the research I do or have done thank you...

2.) What do you see in my batfish's behavior that seems out of line to you?

3.) I will get the larger tank whenever the time is right and it is needed...

4.) I did not add everything at once... 1 or 2 things every week or so is NOT too quickly. I think the bio load is being handled just fine with water changes and the protein skimmer. My water is clear and I don't have any bad build up.

Gromet

Just watched the video, man, your LFS got you good!!!! Tell ya what, why don't you fly over here to Tx, give me $100, I'll kick you in the nuts and send you on your way. That would be a lesser waste of money, and only the idiot who set up these tanks would be the one suffering.

Why don't you tell me in your infinite Reefing wisdom how my LFS "Got me good!!!"????

TriggerHappyDude
3.) I will get the larger tank whenever the time is right and it is needed...

Are you going shopping today for a 75 gallon tank or bigger, the time is right and its needed...?

CraigsList.com usually has some used tanks for a good price, check there first, bet you can find one.

1.) You have no idea of the research I have do or have done thank you...

4.) My water is clear and I don't have any bad build up.

I think this statement pretty much sums it up.

SpankythePyro

1.) from your responses I sure do know how much research you have done

2.) your batfish is going back and forth against your glass, while common it is not making long laps, rather short ones which show that it is stressed with its limited ability to move.

3.) it is needed now, so please go out and buy a 75g atleast and put the tang and batfish in that, also buy a 20g and put the sea horse in that, for the seahorse add some things it can actually attach itself to, the only reason its doing ok now is because you have very little flow.

4.) 1-2 things a week is too quick, you are not god here you can't create an ecosystem in 7 days. And your water is not that clear, it may not be ditry, but it is far from clear.

care to go at this again, swallow your pride, admit your mistake, take responsibility of it, be an adult about this.

btw here is an analogy, do you have kids? If not you should still be able to understand this... your baby is on the floor in one of those little fenced in play areas you have set up in the living room. Imagine keeping you child in that space and only that space till they are 3-5x the size they are when you put them in. It will affect their growth and development.

Why don't you tell me in your infinite Reefing wisdom how my LFS "God me good!!!"????

bio spira for starters $. brand new tank with crap filtration $$, brand new tank with crap filtration is ridiculously stocked $$$, noob came back for yet another tank set up for failure $$$$, they goT you good $$$$$.

dude, seriously, take all those fish back (anemone too), let the tank cycle, read as much as you can here while the tank cycles, start over. Your fish and your wallet will thank you.

I think this statement pretty much sums it up.

When I say clear, I mean that all parameters are in line (testing where they should be).

When I say clear, I mean that all parameters are in line (testing where they should be).

k

swallow your pride, admit your mistake, take responsibility of it, be an adult about this.
TriggerHappyDude
1.) You have no idea of the research I do or have done thank you...

Still dude, you have 7 posts here, joined March 12, so its obvious you didn't do research here, where did you do your research and who gave you advice and tips on this kind of a setup? I wouldn't go back.

Not trying to be a hater and rain on your new pride and joy, but its just hard to see someone make mistakes like this and be happy about it. If you want a tank full of these kinds of fish, you need to look and research bigger tanks, nano-reefs aren't the setup you are after.

Still dude, you have 7 posts here, joined March 12, so its obvious you didn't do research here, where did you do your research and who gave you advice and tips on this kind of a setup? I wouldn't go back.

His LFS, of course. Same ones that raped his wallet.

Archived