ReefCleaners.org

Pistol shrimp compatibility with other inverts

andru24

Like the title says, will pistol shrimp get along with other inverts (crabs, other shrimp, etc.)? I have a 12G eclipse that I am converting into a reef tank and was thinking about maybe getting a coral banded shrimp or some kind of crab to add some more interest (since I don't see the pistol much).

-AJ

When I had a pistol shrimp (it was the smaller red/white striped one), it never bothered my emerald crab, Pom-Pom crab, pepermint shrimp, hermit crabs, or anything.

FallenMonkey
Like the title says, will pistol shrimp get along with other inverts (crabs, other shrimp, etc.)? I have a 12G eclipse that I am converting into a reef tank and was thinking about maybe getting a coral banded shrimp or some kind of crab to add some more interest (since I don't see the pistol much).

-AJ

Know what kind of pistol it is?

Edited by FallenMonkey
FallenMonkey
I am not sure. It is sort of orange and red if that helps.

-AJ

Yea, that kind should be fine, especially if he doesn't come out much.

I am not sure. It is sort of orange and red if that helps.

It looks like this lg-39414-Pistol-Shrimp.jpg

-AJ

I have one like that for about a year now and it's a model citizen and has paired with my spotted goby.

Mine kicks that crap out of my snails and crabs that go by his caves lol.I find it funny when i see empty shells laying around by his area.I cant be mad cause thats how it was meant to be i guess.I have a japanese pistol.Its not as common as far as i know.

• 10 months later...
I have one like that for about a year now and it's a model citizen and has paired with my spotted goby.

Not sure if this was ever answered or not, but I got one of these as a hitchhiker in my tank. It's a carribean pistol shrimp... very pretty when they come out.

I have a 2" long tiger pistol shrimp that has been a model citizen with sexy shrimp, cleaner shrimp, snails, crabs and small fish. He has been with me for two years now I believe.

Mine kicks that crap out of my snails and crabs that go by his caves lol.I find it funny when i see empty shells laying around by his area.I cant be mad cause thats how it was meant to be i guess.I have a japanese pistol.Its not as common as far as i know.

same one I have and they do kill

I have a Randall's pistol and it does fine with all my other invertebrates. As long as you don't have one of the larger, more aggressive pistols, you should be fine.

• Thanks 1
I have a Randall's pistol and it does fine with all my other invertebrates. As long as you don't have one of the larger, more aggressive pistols, you should be fine.

I had one of the more aggressive ones in a 90 gallon tank he got over three inches in length. One day he lost his mine and start killing things. I lost shrimp, crabs, snails, and fish. There are vids on youtube showing a pistol killing a cleaner shrimp. You just need to watch them. It is a B@#$% to get out of the tank also. Maybe not so bad in a Nano.

Edited by dmarkham

Totally forgot that I posted this last March. Anyway, my own question got answered. The pistol shrimp I had ate pretty much any hermit or snail it could find. It started to pile up shells by it's caves...

I took him back to the LFS recently but mainly because I was sick of him sending sand flying all over the place.

I had one of the more aggressive ones in a 90 gallon tank he got over three inches in length. One day he lost his mine and start killing things. I lost shrimp, crabs, snails, and fish. There are vids on youtube showing a pistol killing a cleaner shrimp. You just need to watch them. It is a B@#$% to get out of the tank also. Maybe not so bad in a Nano.

WATCH THIS...I WILL NOT BE ADDING A PISTOL AFTER WATCHING THIS VIDEO, Instead I'll add a cleaner

Edited by ddk997

I just wanted to add to this thread as I had the same question a while back.

I picked up a high fin goby and candy cane pistol for my 12g nano.

I've only had him for a short while but he has been very peaceful. Even to the firefish that randomly jumps into their cave systems. No dead snails, hermits, fish, or crackhead cleaners.

He also has dug a lot of tunnel under my rock, but minimal piles outside of it really.

• 9 years later...
JaneClifton

I know this is an old feed, but I’m also considering a Randall’s goby and a pistol shrimp pair. The attached article in Practical Fishkeeping states that pistol shrimps that are paired with gobies are generally smaller and more peaceful and don’t generate the cavitation bubble as frequently.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/special-relationships-keeping-pistol-shrimps-and-gobies