richast

Fish or Coral First?

On 12/3/2018 at 11:20 PM, banasophia said:

From my perspective, when someone is new to the saltwater hobby, there’s so much to learn, so it’s good to simplify and not overwhelm people with too much information they aren’t ready for. 

Isn't the flip side of that something like:  

"We'll just overwhelm all that fine wild-caught livestock with a newb that just didn't have the info they needed?"

I don't think there are too many people that really get overwhelmed when presented with good information.

As a newb (we're all newbs in lots of ways), I personally prefer to be overwhelmed with information first.  My hope is that a little info-paralysis is a good thing and will keep me from making (as many) noob-like mistakes! 😄

4 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Isn't the flip side of that something like:  

"We'll just overwhelm all that fine wild-caught livestock with a newb that just didn't have the info they needed?"

I don't think there are too many people that really get overwhelmed when presented with good information.

As a newb (we're all newbs in lots of ways), I personally prefer to be overwhelmed with information first.  My hope is that a little info-paralysis is a good thing and will keep me from making (as many) noob-like mistakes! 😄

Glad that works for you, but I find there are many ways to run a reef tank successfully and your way is one way, but not the only way.

Like a friend of mine told me when I started the hobby, it can really be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. I spend many, many hours researching and working on my tanks and I like a lot of information, but for many people the KISS method is a better way to go. 

Also, adding fish to a cycled tank prior to adding corals is not going to jeopardize the health of “all that fine wild-caught livestock.” If that was the case, people would never be able to keep FOWLR systems. And I totally disagree about corals being easier than fish. I’ve never killed a fish, but I have had corals that have not survived in my system. 

I admit to picking nits at this point, but KISS is system design method, not a method of learning.   

I still don't think most folks get confounded when presented with good info.

I do think KISS principle is a good thing for most folks to keep in mind when putting their tanks together.  I try to.

From the link:

Leonardo da Vinci's "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions