Innovative Marine Aquariums

What's your weirdest invert?

CarsonF

hey just curious to see what weird creatures we all have in our tanks.

mine would definately be the morton bay bug :happy:

P1030407.jpg

show us a pic of your weird invert

cheers

slipper lobster? i hear they dont do well =(

i dont think morton bay bugs are slippers but closely related because i read that slippers are only from hawaii or somthing

My stomatopods!

n565794390_1245256_1720.jpg

Gonodactylellus viridis

n565794390_1476444_735867.jpg

Gonodactylaceus glabrous

n565794390_1476451_7747293.jpg

No idea on name

n565794390_1476458_4849635.jpg

Odontodactylus scyllarus (RIP)

n565794390_1476482_5482940.jpg

Pseudosquilla ciliata

My peanut worm. Rather odd little fellow, deathly afraid of light. Ugly to boot, but I like all of the various worms and such in my tank.

mmmm nice mantis's people lookin good!!!

ive got peanut worms too creepy things...

the morton bug is so interesting. as soon as i turn the lights off and the moon lights on i jumps straight out of its burrow and starts foraging for food

Well, I've got three mantises that I would definately say are my coolest inverts but for the weirdest I give you my sand sifting starfish:

Here it is getting down with the glass.

mantisshrimp004-1.jpg

Dorsal view.

mantisshrimp005.jpg

This thing is %#@$'in crazy! I can't tell you how many people have told me "OMG! It's going to starve and die and pollute your tank and then explode! Take it out! You're stupid for buying it! ect..." Apparently it takes frozen food stuffs and the like which I have been told and read is not suppose to happen... Yeah, I saw it strip the skin right off a silverside before in front of my own eyes. I've seen it attack snails, take a beating from my G. chiragra, and breakdance after falling off the tank glass. It's clung to my turkey baster I use for feeding before and I let it take a ride around the tank as it caught brineshrimp in the water column. I keep it in a twenty gallon long with my mantis (it's the only motile invert that can survive with the chiragra), I've caught hell from people telling me that the tank is too small and all that but I feed it regularly and haven't had a problem yet. No doubt someone else is going to tell me to sell it or something here as well but I doubt anyone has ever seen a sand sifter act like this before, it's crazy! Ranks right on up there with my two serial killer hermit crabs that have probably killed more snails than any of my mantis shrimps. Crazy starfish.... Note: I don't endorse keeping sand sifting stars in home aquaria so don't flame me for advocating their inclusion as pets because I'm not. Mine's just the exception and that's why it is my wierdest invert. :)

FallenMonkey

Probably my 3" Zebra Pistol Shrimp who's kill list includes 2 YWG, 1 YCG, 1 Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby, 7 Hermit Crabs, and 3 Margarita Snails. He now resides in a 3g Pico species only tank with the only thing that has ever survived his temper tantrums, an emerald crab the size of a nickel. I can also see his brain stomach moving/pulsing when I watch him from the top.

Probably my 3" Zebra Pistol Shrimp who's kill list includes 2 YWG, 1 YCG, 1 Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby, 7 Hermit Crabs, and 3 Margarita Snails. He now resides in a 3g Pico species only tank with the only thing that has ever survived his temper tantrums, an emerald crab the size of a nickel. I can also see his brain stomach moving/pulsing when I watch him from the top.

LMAO at "kill list"!!! :D

Definitely one of the most uncommon and weirdest I've encountered is an echiuran:

m7418.jpg

This is just the "mouth" of this animal, most of it is imbedded in the live rock where you'll never see it. It flops this forked appendage out on the rocks to mop up detritus and such.

Definitely one of the most uncommon and weirdest I've encountered is an echiuran:

m7418.jpg

This is just the "mouth" of this animal, most of it is imbedded in the live rock where you'll never see it. It flops this forked appendage out on the rocks to mop up detritus and such.

WOW that thing is weird!! is it yours?

Wow. I don't want to have an echiuran ever then.

Fallen Monkey, I think it depends on the individual mantis but if both creatures went full out it would be very very noisy...

WOW that thing is weird!! is it yours?

It's not my picture but I had one a very long time ago.

Here's another example of an echiuran. This is an "innkeeper worm" (although it's not actually a worm), they live buried in temperate mudflats. You can watch the muscular contractions as it pulls water into its body. They look and act a bit like a human colon. Very weird animals.

dahliaheartsyou

cody jr. my pom pom crab...

he hides under my open brain and then attempts to intimidate the hermits and snails by waving his poms about...

crabe7.jpg

crabeeyes.jpg

johnmaloney

stiff pen shell. He keeps tossing and turning in my pencil cap bed though. :( Ahh he is cool enough I don't care...

stiifpen.jpg

He lives in my 72 display now.

My Tuxedo Urchin

His name is Colonel Spikeface

He likes to pick up everything loose in the tank and wear it all as a hat!

So cute!

post-43459-1238141472_thumb.jpg

my yellow sea cucumber. i don't have a good enough pic of him though. i think now that i have a good feeding strategy for him and he seems to be more acclimated, i might try to get some more... he's just too cute

ps i don't actually know the sex of the 'cuke.

• 2 weeks later...

9 hole abalone and chitons, one of the Chitons is a Hitchhiker about 5 mm long and pink the other is store bought and big and black and white but the abalone is my favorite it practically jumps off the rock to grab the nori I feed him

Ooh and pickle (little black hitchiker cucumber) or... The severed arm!!! Muahahaha type of linkia I believe, found it in a LFS LR tank it had 4 tiny nubs where it's growing back the other arms

This thread is cool, inverts over fish any day!

Archived