Top Shelf Aquatics

Foo's Nano Wave 9

CL_

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just realized that I might have bryopsis. :( I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Yup, looks like it... Reading about that stuff online will make you vomit... People talking about it as though once you have it, it's the end of the tank... but it's not. I brought it under control with nutrient monitoring, Emerald crab and some very light Iron dosing to promote calcerous algae growth.

Yup, looks like it... Reading about that stuff online will make you vomit... People talking about it as though once you have it, it's the end of the tank... but it's not. I brought it under control with nutrient monitoring, Emerald crab and some very light Iron dosing to promote calcerous algae growth.

Ok, thanks for that tip. I'll be gone for a week, so who knows how much it will grow before I can do anything about it.

I noticed the big sea hare again yesterday, so I'm assuming that the other one is still alive as well. I wonder how much algae those things actually eat.

Ok, thanks for that tip. I'll be gone for a week, so who knows how much it will grow before I can do anything about it.

I noticed the big sea hare again yesterday, so I'm assuming that the other one is still alive as well. I wonder how much algae those things actually eat.

oooooooh, you have sea hares? I heard they're pretty good at eating algae but also people reported them running out of food. They will process your greens into dissolved organics and hopefully you've got enough ways to export them out of you tank.

oooooooh, you have sea hares? I heard they're pretty good at eating algae but also people reported them running out of food. They will process your greens into dissolved organics and hopefully you've got enough ways to export them out of you tank.

Yeah, the sea hares were hitch hikers on my rock. :)

Yeah, the sea hares were hitch hikers on my rock. :)

That is really cool! Maybe you should keep the garden growing just so they have enough to eat ;)

Can you snap some pictures of them?

That is really cool! Maybe you should keep the garden growing just so they have enough to eat ;)

Can you snap some pictures of them?

There are a couple of pics of the big one in this thread, but next time I see one of them, I'll take some better pics.

There are a couple of pics of the big one in this thread, but next time I see one of them, I'll take some better pics.

Ok. I saw it. It was so well camouflaged, I could barely make it out.

Ok. I saw it. It was so well camouflaged, I could barely make it out.

lol yeah, it's really hard to see. I saw the little one today :D

Nice wrasse!

LMWO! (laughing my wrasse off) :P

If you plan on adding anything else, be careful with your choice. I had a sixline in my AP12 and then I decided to add a clown. When I was acclimating the clown, my wrasse was so territorial that he punctured a hole in the bag. I couldn't catch my wrasse and didn't want the clown to die so I had to bring him back to the store before he even got into the tank. The wrasse -previously to that- also killed 2 peppermint shrimp. It took a week before I could ever catch him- I had to sit in front of the tank for hours with bait in a net because removing the rocks was out of the question. They are a good last fish to add and do a good job taking care of pests and pods.

If you plan on adding anything else, be careful with your choice. I had a sixline in my AP12 and then I decided to add a clown. When I was acclimating the clown, my wrasse was so territorial that he punctured a hole in the bag. I couldn't catch my wrasse and didn't want the clown to die so I had to bring him back to the store before he even got into the tank. The wrasse -previously to that- also killed 2 peppermint shrimp. It took a week before I could ever catch him- I had to sit in front of the tank for hours with bait in a net because removing the rocks was out of the question. They are a good last fish to add and do a good job taking care of pests and pods.

Yeah, that's what I read before I got him. I had some pests, and needed them gone. I wasn't really planning on adding anything else anyway. If I change my mind (It wouldn't surprise me) then I can catch (or try to) with a coke bottle trap.

• 2 weeks later...

More hitch hikers popped up

This mystery thing has grown

DSC01427.jpg

here is another one that is grey instead of purple

DSC01434.jpg

What is this thing? They grew a lot while I was gone

DSC01428.jpg

This looks like something I know of, I just forgot what they were called

DSC01440.jpg

Side shot

DSC01432.jpg

FTS

DSC01430.jpg

I got some more zoas today. Around 20 polyps for $20. A pretty good deal considering how over priced my lfs is. I'm also considering placing an order for a 15 long that I would use as a frag tank or second display tank that would be plumbed in with the nw9. I already have a stand and lights that would fit it, but knowing me, I would upgrade the lighting to a 24" t5ho cat fixture like racechase has.

I got a turkey baster today and have been using it to clean off my rocks. I was shocked at how much junk was on them when it didn't look like there would be that much. I did another 10% wc today after I blew all of that crap off of my rocks. I also added some filter floss to help get the junk out of there.

I waited a while to take this pic after I used the baster, but I couldn't wait any longer because my lights were about to go off. At least this one isn't freaking blurry.

DSC01486.jpg

Hermit walking across my new zoas DSC01487.jpg

That mystery thing

DSC01489.jpg

Some of the turbo's work

DSC01493.jpg

I'm about to get some new polyps coming off of this

DSC01495.jpg

What is this sps?

DSC01496.jpg

All in all, things are perking up a lot since I've been doing water changes and turned the skimmer on, but the algae hasn't been doing much better from what I can tell.

Looks great! where did you get your rock?

Thanks. Premium aquatics. It cam with a crazy amount of life on it. Most of my hitch hikers (if not all) came from the rock on the left.

Since our local club is doing a gb from reefcleaners, I finally ordered my emerald crab. I was also going to trade in my six line and get a pair of ocellaris clowns from liveaquaria. When the time comes to order, I'm also considering getting a goby or similar fish from them to justify shipping more. (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124&count=31&s=ts) what would you guys recommend?

Archived