Top Shelf Aquatics

MGDMIRAGE's 5.5 Gallon.

MGDMIRAGE

This is my 5.5g it is two days from 1 month old.

sdc10289.jpg

This is the ghetto fuge i made. It is about 2-2.5 gallons.

ghettofuge.jpg

Livestock:

1) Yellowtail Damsel

1) Yellow Watchmen Goby (may move him and pistol shrimp to 20H, the shrimp digs way tooo much for 5.5)

1) Emerald Green Mithrax Crab (banished to the fuge after consuming a mushroom)

1) Tiger Pistol Shrimp

3) Cerith snails

3) Nassarius snails

1) Astrea snail

2) Blue legged hermits

8) Misc Zoanthids/ 1 is a Paly

2) Shrooms 1) pink spotted 1) neon green yuma

1) GSP colony - fairly large colony

1) Toadstool leather(not sure on variety)

Neat fuge idea.

Have any problems with bubbles gathering in the cannibalized AC u-tube? How do/will you evacuate them?

Neat fuge idea.

Have any problems with bubbles gathering in the cannibalized AC u-tube? How do/will you evacuate them?

Have had zero bubbles with the tube yet. I was originally worried it wouldn't seal through the flow control but that hasn't happened at all. It's been up for about 2 weeks, i did notice that i needed a larger tube for siphon as i tried one same size as the one coming from the pump and it wasn't keeping up. Then i noticed i had an old Whisper 3 filter that i wasn't using and was like hey! i'll steal that!.

Cool. Need all the details of the fuge please.

Thanks. The fuge is made from a round approx 2gallon plastic critter cage. The filter is an aquatech 5-15, i cut the tube off right at the start of it's arc, and shoved 5/8 vinyl tubing inside of it. Then i went to home depot and bought some 1/2" outside diameter double barbed elbows(3 of them) and used the vinyle tubing to connect them together. Then i took about 1" of the original black intake and cut it off and connected the original strainer to it and then connected that to the vinyl tubing. I made sure that i made the tubing long enough so that the intake would be at one end of the fuge and the in siphon is at the other end. There is about 2 inches of sand in the fuge, and a big ball of chaeto mixed with some caluerpa.

theintake.jpg

strainer.jpg

Very cool! I'm actually working on my fuge as we speak (Click Here) and I also thought about routing it through my penguin filter (great minds think alike :P ) but then I found a little adjustable pump from an old tetra whisper filter so I snagged that instead.

Keep this updated and I will definitely check in oh and thanks for the compliments on my latest and greatest scape! :D

Found an old 5 gallon light in my fish boxes and decided to modify it for my needs :)

5gallid1.jpg

5gallid2.jpg

bought a cheap socket from home depot and drilled hole and put it in hood on oppasite side as one that is already installed.. I then bought some acrylic and cut it to slide into hood as a cover for the bulbs. of course i broke the acrylic piece but it still works fine lol. The one bulb is a coralife 50/50 20w bulb, and the other one is a cheapo 13w regular cf that will get replaced with another coralife bulb when i can afford it. Oh and i also painted the inside of the hood silver to help reflect.

Just a random shot, the tank got a slight aquascape again. Both lights are running so it looks yellowish from the regular CF bulb.

nano-monitor.jpg

BLoCkCliMbeR

home depot sells 6500k cheapo lights....less yellow....good for algae...they even say 6500k on the box...

home depot sells 6500k cheapo lights....less yellow....good for algae...they even say 6500k on the box...

Oh i did not know that... i will have to check it out, thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Some updates for April.

Total re-scape.

FTS4-12-09.jpg

My first coral.

1stzoo4-12-09.jpg

The good size colony of GSP with a nice rock i recently got!

GSP.jpg

Also i added a 250gph hob filter that is blowing my gsp around nicely. Putting the total GPH into tank at over 300gph. Purigen is now running in the 250gph filter aswell, noticing some better numbers. Still need to get a second bulb for left side of fixture so GSP won't white out.

Thats about it for now! lemme know what you think. Someday i'll get a background on this thing, been too lazy. The four rocks on the right side i plan to put a different type of zoo on each one cept bottom one i'm thinking a ric or some spotted shroom. I'm also thinking about ditching my emerald crab to my 20G cause hes a bulldozer and a never ending glutton, i'm hand feeding him algae pellets all the time, when he doesn't get one now he starts trampling over everything and knocking stuff over.

Another slight rescape, my gsp colony was too close to surface and was hogging too much light so i removed one of the rocks and put GSP rock as the top of the bridge. FTS-4-14-09.jpg

Also i'm going to be cleaning off the back(finally) and putting a background on. Should i go blue or black?

Lots of frags today thanks to a local reefer!

FTS4-15-09.jpg

bumpyshroom.jpg

fireiceishzoo.jpg

pally1.jpg

pinkshrooms.jpg

toadstool.jpg

zoo1.jpg

zoo2.jpg

zoo3.jpg

zoogarden.jpg

some stuff is still a little angry at me. Oh and i finally got the background on :D

This tank is 2 months old, yes?

Yep :) Oh and i got my second bulb in there so it's WAY brighter.

Lookin good!

Thank you!

The new fishy Friend that i named Kermy! he was eatting like crazy the first day i got him and hes still eatting like mad. He's very small 1 1/4 - 1 1/2", and very alert, i love watching him snatch up food that floats by him.

Kermy.jpg

I had this set of VisionX car LEDs sitting around and didn't think i'd ever use them so i had an idea! They are blue you know what that means! So i set out looking for an ac adapter to use to get it working. I went to car toys and asked them what voltage i'd need and they guy said "don't do it, they will light up once and then catch on fire". I was like ok thanks bye. Figuring the guy was mentally challenged and didn't understand what i was talking about i went store hoppin' looking for a cheap adapter. I finally stumbled upon one at sears for under 8 dollars. It had voltage settings from 1.5 - 12 and seemed like it would serve my purpose so i purchased it. I then got home and chopped off the adapter plugs at the end of the ac unit and did the same with the LED. I then wired the LED cords matching the white stripe to white stripe hoping it was that simple. The ac unit also had a polarity switch on it but i had no idea what setting to put it on so i left it be. I then plugged it in and gradually increased the voltage until i had light! I landed on 6v and it seems as bright as when its in the car. Now hopefully i wont cause any dmg here, maybe Evil66 can chime in and lemme know :) Anyway here are some pics of what i did!

Ledmod-daytime.jpg

ACadapter.jpgLedmod-nighttime.jpg

And finally an updated FTS

FTS4-21-09.jpg

You can see Kermy in his lair at the bottom of the bridge, he spends all day there. He still eats like a pig! If you wish to cross that bridge you have to pay him the toll!

I love how my zoos light up under the LEDs!.

Also i seem to have some algae in the lower right front corner that is slowly spreading it's really dark green. My snails don't touch it and neither did my emerald green crab(currently banished to fuge). What will eat it? hermits? I have 3 nassarius, 3 ceriths, 1 astrea, 1 margarita.

And they don't even touch my algae either, they just walk right over it. :(

weird, I dropped a red-legged hermit into my tank yesterday and he's been eating non-stop, when he's not eating he's sleeping...

Archived