Deleted User 6

DHaut's Hoity Toity

Deleted User 6
I'm only getting the first of the 4.

Hmm...I'm still showing all 4. Not sure what's up.

Atari

I tried all 3 of my browsers.

dahliaheartsyou
Atari

That will be fun to watch. Have you found about the sexys yet?

Deleted User 6
That will be fun to watch. Have you found about the sexys yet?

Lalani says they should be fine with a pom pom crab and that they host whatever they want or nothing at all.

Atari

well you should not have told me that I mite buy that pistol/goby combo out for under you.

j/k ;)

How much longer tell you get a CUC?

Edited by Atari

Deleted User 6
well you should not have told me that I mite buy that pistol/goby combo out for under you.

j/k ;)

How much longer tell you get a CUC?

Haha - it's yours if you want it. The tank is still too young for a fish. The CUC should be added by next week, I'm hoping - that's when I expect the soft cycle to be over with the new rock.

Atari

I got to talk to girl into it first...

Lalani says they should be fine with a pom pom crab and that they host whatever they want or nothing at all.

does that mean they will do OK with the pistol too?

Edited by Atari

Deleted User 6

LOL - They sold already!

Atari
LOL - They sold already!

Wasn't me

Deleted User 6

The sexies should be fine with the pistol shrimp.

Lalani

Yep, do da sexies.

PakRX8

Links didn't work for me.

wombat
Sweet! The tank is only 9 gallons, unfortunately. As it evolves though I'll keep that in mind. I do plan to get a clam in about a year though - where would I get the accompanying shrimp?

I love the clingfish/urchin idea - I wish I had the room!

You could have a single clam big enough to do it...but it would fill up the tank! I have no idea where you would find one of these shrimp for sale. I have seen them twice on random occasions and both were in fairly large (around 6"+) clams, one squamosa and one derasa. If you look carefully at large clams, you may have some luck.

The clingfish stay small but the real limitation is the urchin. And they do grow fast unfortunately.

Right now on DD there are several pistol shrimp which Kevin has listed as Acropora commensals. I've never seen one before but they look pretty cool.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...&ddid=59090

Deleted User 6
You could have a single clam big enough to do it...but it would fill up the tank! I have no idea where you would find one of these shrimp for sale. I have seen them twice on random occasions and both were in fairly large (around 6"+) clams, one squamosa and one derasa. If you look carefully at large clams, you may have some luck.

The clingfish stay small but the real limitation is the urchin. And they do grow fast unfortunately.

Right now on DD there are several pistol shrimp which Kevin has listed as Acropora commensals. I've never seen one before but they look pretty cool.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...&ddid=59090

Aww...to bad on the clams. I might be able to keep something that's 6", but if it grows any bigger it'd be a problem. Same thing with the urchin - it would just not have the room.

I love those coral pistol shrimp though! If my tank was ready, I'd have gone broke over the past couple days. I'll just have to be patient and keep a log of the cool things I've seen on there and see if they pop back up (or I might shoot them an email and see if they can keep an eye out for more).

Killer finds man. Thanks a lot!

Also, the pic links are now broken for me too. I used picasa web albums. I'll try switching to photobucket later and see if that fixes it.

Deleted User 6

Spider Sponge - sybiotic with white zoanthids. Might have to look into one of these - pretty cool.

post-35397-1237566814.jpg

Edited by DHaut

Carinya
Spider Sponge - sybiotic with white zoanthids. Might have to look into one of these - pretty cool.

I have a small (1" or so) frag that I got at a local fragswap for super cheap back in Feb. It was close to the end of the day and the guy had several he hadn't sold, so I got it for $10.

What I have learned is that they need really turbid, dirty water in order to survive in the wild. My tank is a softie tank that is fed a lot and although I have a skimmer, there are a lot of nutrients in the water. The white zoos on my sponge have yet to open and the orange part has been slowly receding. So....not good.

I am sure I will kill it eventually. If you want it & would pay shipping, I'd send it to you free ('cept the actual shipping cost). I haven't done much coral shipping, so would need guidance on how to do it so that the sponge doesn't ever come into contact with air. But PM me & let me know. I'd rather give someone else a shot at it.

Deleted User 6
I have a small (1" or so) frag that I got at a local fragswap for super cheap back in Feb. It was close to the end of the day and the guy had several he hadn't sold, so I got it for $10.

What I have learned is that they need really turbid, dirty water in order to survive in the wild. My tank is a softie tank that is fed a lot and although I have a skimmer, there are a lot of nutrients in the water. The white zoos on my sponge have yet to open and the orange part has been slowly receding. So....not good.

I am sure I will kill it eventually. If you want it & would pay shipping, I'd send it to you free ('cept the actual shipping cost). I haven't done much coral shipping, so would need guidance on how to do it so that the sponge doesn't ever come into contact with air. But PM me & let me know. I'd rather give someone else a shot at it.

Aww...that's too bad. My tank's going through cycle #2 after adding the new rocks, so it wouldn't stand a chance. Plus, since I"ll have a primarily SPS tank, if it needs dirty water I'm not going to be much help either :( Maybe in about 6-8 months when I'm dosing phyto and such for the clam I plan to have it would do better. I don't know anything about them though. Maybe post and see if anyone knows of a solution to help it out.

Thanks for the offer though! I hate turning it down, but I'm afraid I'd kill faster than you because my tank's so new.

Edited by DHaut

Mr. Fosi

The water needs to be "dirty" with regard to turbidity, yes? That means it needs particulates, it seems.

I don't know about you guys, but my sump is a gathering place for particulates that supports a large population of filter-feeders including a couple types of sponge.

Deleted User 6
The water needs to be "dirty" with regard to turbidity, yes? That means it needs particulates, it seems.

I don't know about you guys, but my sump is a gathering place for particulates that supports a large population of filter-feeders including a couple types of sponge.

Fosi means he'll take it ;)

Carinya

I don't want to hijack about this here, but I have been trying a lot of particulates, mostly as I work on feeding my gorgs. (cyclopeze, frozen baby brine, live baby brine mostly) I have numerous black sponges & white sponges all around the tank, but I think this one is a tough one. I do dose phyto as well. I've looked & looked & don't see anyone having success. I will keep trying to do right by it.

Edit: K, Fosi, offer is open if you want to try it... PM me. :)

Edited by Carinya

Mr. Fosi

DHaut: You have a sump too, do you not?

Edited by Mr. Fosi

Deleted User 6
I don't want to hijack about this here, but I have been trying a lot of particulates, mostly as I work on feeding my gorgs. (cyclopeze, frozen baby brine, live baby brine mostly) I have numerous black sponges & white sponges all around the tank, but I think this one is a tough one. I do dose phyto as well. I've looked & looked & don't see anyone having success. I will keep trying to do right by it.

No prob on the hijack - I hope that this thread will be a good place for discussion of symbiotic relationships eventually. Good luck on the sponge. If you learn anything further or it turns around, let me know. I think it's a cool relationship to witness. Maybe when my tank is ready you'll have enough sponge for a frag :)

DHaut: You have a sump too, do you not?

I do - but my tank is really young. I don't want to risk throwing a suffering sponge in there right now - I'm afraid it'd be a goner fast.

Edit: Or do you think it'd survive?

Edited by DHaut

Mr. Fosi

If it was going to do well, I would think it would in Carinya's tank based on her last post.