inTank Media Baskets

DHaut's Hoity Toity

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

The purpose of this tank is to focus on mutual and commensal symbiotic relationships. I plan to have a goby/pistol shrimp pair, sexy shrimp with ricordias or mini carpet nems, a small christmas tree worm rock, and perhaps a small acropora crab. Corals will be primarily SPS with some zoos/rics for color value. For those interested in the building of this tank, check here.

Tank Specs:

• Display Tank: 9g Starfire w/ custom foam rock wall
  • Fuge: 10g standard
  • Skimmer: AquaC Remora w/ MJ1200
  • Lighting: 150w MH Retro in custom hood w/ 14k Phoenix bulb
  • Filtration: 11 lbs. SeaLife Inc. rock arriving 3/17/09 in fuge
  • Flow: MJ600, Mag 5 Return, Koralia Nano

Stocking:

Reefcleaners CUC: Ceriths, Periwinkles, Limpets, Chiton, Red Mangroves, chaeto, shaving brush

Current FTS (5/27/09):

536614896_Hxprm-L.jpg

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to crash the tread right after the first post but...

A "symbiotic" relationship is not necessarily one that benefits both parties. That type of relationship is called a "mutualism". There are at least two other kinds of symbioses: commensalism and parasitism.

Perhaps a better title would be "Dhaut's Mutualism Microcosm".

Deleted User 6
Not to crash the tread right after the first post but...

A "symbiotic" relationship is not necessarily one that benefits both parties. That type of relationship is called a "mutualism". There are at least two other kinds of symbioses: commensalism and parasitism.

Perhaps a better title would be "Dhaut's Mutualism Microcosm".

Way to crash it right after the first post. :P

Fine fine. I'll go with mutualism.

Any other small mutual symbioses that I may have overlooked? Sexy shrimp would be a commensal relationship with the anemone/coral they inhabit, correct?

I also want a pom pom crab, but I'm not sure if one would be ok in a 9g with all the SPS.

Paleoreef103

Awesome idea! I have a degree in zoology and I am shocked I didn't think of this idea. I will be tagging along.

lakshwadeep

There are other commensal species for anemones you could choose from, such as anemone shrimp and porcellain crabs.

Some more symbiotic partnerships:

zoanthids+sponges

pom pom crab

anemone hermit crab

staghorn hermit crab

sponge crab

Deleted User 6
You and the tank. :lol:

I totally thought about that after I posted earlier, lol! And in reality, every coral I put in there that contains zooxanthellae is a mutualistic relationship.

There are other commensal species for anemones you could choose from, such as anemone shrimp and porcellain crabs.

Some more symbiotic partnerships:

zoanthids+sponges

pom pom crab

anemone hermit crab

staghorn hermit crab

sponge crab

Nice list! I'm still considering a pom pom crab. Given the limited space in the tank, I'm concerned about putting something in there that could sting the other corals. What zoanthids form partnerships with sponges? Never seen that.

How many gallons is that tank? Hard to tell. These would be suitable for large-ish tanks, but hopefully it gives you some ideas...

If you have ever had the opportunity to see a Tridacnid commensal shrimp it is one of the neatest relationships ever. They constantly go in and out of the siphon, and the clam doesn't flinch a bit...

mg_0957_edit_original.jpg

Urchin clingfish and urchin would be another good one.

Diademichthys_lineatus.jpg

Deleted User 6

Sweet! The tank is only 9 gallons, unfortunately. As it evolves though I'll keep that in mind. I do plan to get a clam in about a year though - where would I get the accompanying shrimp?

I love the clingfish/urchin idea - I wish I had the room!

Deleted User 6

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

post-35397-1237314202_thumb.jpg

post-35397-1237314216_thumb.jpg

post-35397-1237314232_thumb.jpg

post-35397-1237314247_thumb.jpg

Already found a starfish, some tiny crabs, lots of bristleworms, and a small yellow nudi of some sort. Not to mention all the algae!

Thats some good looking rock. I'm glad to see it in there, but I bet not 1/2 as glad as you are...

Are you just using it to seed the fake rock in the display?

Deleted User 6
Thats some good looking rock. I'm glad to see it in there, but I bet not 1/2 as glad as you are...

Are you just using it to seed the fake rock in the display?

The rock in the display is already seeded. I ran a full cycle before this one with a couple smaller pieces of rock. This rock is the primary filtration and comes with tons of algae that should help cut down on nitrates. Plus, I wanted a fuge that I could have just as much fun watching as the display :P

Looks awesome! :o

Will you be doing anything to preserve the life on the rock?

Already soft cycling. I've got lots of saltwater ready to go and the skimmer is doing the best it can.

dahliaheartsyou

aw, NICE rocks!

they are so colorful!!!

and looks like you got some codium!

my favorite macro algae, it looks so plump and fuzzy :lol:

Archived