Innovative Marine Aquariums

Steely's 40 breeder

steely185

Well I swung by today to get my blenny and he had not come in yet, they said friday. I'll have to swing by next week for him. I then went to the second store for a the gold maxima but opted not to buy it. They had two gold ORA maximas but they were only 1 1/2" and the pattern wasn't that appealing. If I buy one I want it to be a pattern that appeals to me. I did walk away with a pseudochromis fridmani. I've wanted one for a while (can't beat that color).

My blood red acan that had two large heads eaten by another acan has now just about grown back completely. The skeleton was showing before.

Should have no real updates until next week. I have to get ready to head to Syracuse, NY for the weekend. It's 500 miles, in a snow storm almost all the way, foot or more of snow predicted, and throw in Friday DC traffic as well. Not looking forward to it since it's for a funeral. One of my best friends/fraternity brother of 13 years passed away in a car accident on the 7 mile bridge last Thursday. He was a marine biologist working in the keys. He was a great guy and it will be tough saying good bye to him for now.

http://keysnews.com/node/20979

I'll update the tank sometime next week hopefully.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it back safe and sound. Tank looks like it did well in my absence, a few frags knocked over and sand blown about but not bad. I'll try and take some pics tonight.

A local reefer is getting some clams in tomorrow morning (5 maximas and 3 croceas) so I will have to swing by tomorrow night to check out what he gets. He sells stuff cheaper than stores and occasionally gets some nice stuff. I plan to call about the blenny tomorrow and pick him up as well.

I'll work on some macro shots later and see if I can come up with anything good.

Thanks guys. I just wish I had a better camera to get some good pics. Most pics get washed out. Top downs look great if I can keep the reflections of the bulbs out of the pics.

Thanks guys. I just wish I had a better camera to get some good pics. Most pics get washed out. Top downs look great if I can keep the reflections of the bulbs out of the pics.

Nice tank Steely. I am setting up a 40 br SPS BB and am trying to decide on the Vortech to purchase. Do you notice any deadspots in the tank with one mP 40w?? I am leaning toward one MP20 or MP40 (same footprint) or two Mp10s on eith side of the tank.

Thanks!

Nice tank Steely. I am setting up a 40 br SPS BB and am trying to decide on the Vortech to purchase. Do you notice any deadspots in the tank with one mP 40w?? I am leaning toward one MP20 or MP40 (same footprint) or two Mp10s on eith side of the tank.

Thanks!

The MP40 is more than powerful enough for the tank. You will get some low flow areas depending on the rock configuration. The corner diagonal of the pump is a lower flow area because of the rockwork. I'm sure if I cranked it up a bit this would be remedied. I just don't want too much sand be blown over coral on my sandbed. The return on the tank sits on my low flow area and does a good job of fixing it.

Go for the mp40. It's nice to have for a future larger tank and you can always crank the flow up some more.

I called ahead today. My tailspot came in so I will swing by and pick him up after work. He said he's a bit small but for 13 bucks I expected that. I'll head out tonight to check those clams out as well. Looking forward to the new resident.

Well. I added the last of my fish livestock today. Have a total of 7 residents, two of which are very small.

My current fish list is as follows:

Damsel

Mated pair of Goldstripe maroons (~3 years old)

Green Clown Goby (small)

Pseudochromis fridmani

Tailspot Blenny (small)

Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse.

The Tailspot and Lubbocks Wrasse (very cool) are new as of today. I don't plan to add anymore fish since I was hesitant to buy the Wrasse. I figure with the size range on most of my fish shouldn't increase the bioload much at all. I now have fish that swim in most areas of the tank. Everyone has their niche and unique personality.

I didn't get to check the clams out today but plan to see them tomorrow if things go well. Really need to look into adding a screen top now, especially with the wrasse addition.

Pics of new additions? What type of clams are you interested in getting?

BTW, you are getting some awesome growth with that SPS.

Thanks Billdemart.

No new pics yet, had to leave in a hurry after dropping them in the tank. I don't expect the wrasse to make it out for a few days anyway since they tend to be a little shy at first. The wrasse is awesome, blue/purple body, red face and yellow dorsal fin. The tailspot is about as big as my clown goby but will have plenty of algae to fatten up on with the tank.

The clams I was looking for are maximas. I've been looking for a nice gold maxima (tiger pattern) but am not opposed to others. The local reefer selling them is selling 5-6" ultras for 75 which is about what the LFS is selling 2" maximas for so it's a good deal. Just not sure I want one that big. He has croceas as well that are smaller but it will just depend on the color. I'll try and check them out today if I can make it.

The growth has really taken off lately. I've been adding a scoop of tropic marin pro coral organic to my sump twice a week. This was described as coral crack by a trusted friend. Hard to say if that is the difference maker but everything is growing well. The milli is growing like crazy and I'm going to frag a piece soon for a local reefer that wants to trade me some chili pepper montipora. I'll probably add the monti to my 20.

Thanks. It's a valida tricolor that is epoxied to an aqua mag so it can be moved for now. It's growing over the epoxy quickly and came from a 16" by 12" colony at a LFS. It's grown quickly since I've had it. I'm a sucker for the blues and purples in my tank.

Really need to look into adding a screen top now, especially with the wrasse addition.

I got some pretty nice clear 1/4" mesh from a user on here "Acroholic" -- pretty reasonable pricing, and it's cut to size.

that's awesome, dan! tailspots are great fish. is he eating/getting along ok?

let me know if you are ever trying to trim back that big orange monti cap (or anything else in there, for that matter)!

He's eating fine so far. He's about the same size as my clown goby and shows some white stiped coloration when stressed. His color should get a bit better over the coming days as he gets more comfortable. Nobody has been picking at him so all is well with him.

I need my wrasse to come out. He's very shy but a beautiful fish. Can't wait until he gets comfortable and I can get a pic of him.

I've broke that cap more than a few times so I'm just trying to let it grow in for now. It's starting to wrap around and vase. I'll probably frag some stuff in the next month so I'll let you know when I do that.

Tailspots are the bomb. Mine would sit in the monti cap, then when the Korallias I had were turned of for tank cleaning he would go inside and investigate them. He started hanging in the zoanthids for a while. Just recently found a place he likes inside the Ricordeas. Now he has a spot in the rockwork next to an acro he seems fond of. Great little fish. Mine will eat just about anything that the tank gets fed and will go to the nori sheet in the clip I have for the angel fish and snack on that from time to time also.

Here are a couple of pics.

1blennyrics2.jpg

01tailspotzoas.jpg

01ts3.jpg

01tailspot.jpg

01blenny.jpg

Archived