Cultivated Reef

Steely's 40 breeder

steely185

Just wanted say how much I hate rescaping. I managed to snap off my Garf Bonsai and another nice piece. I'm still not crazy about the aquascape and will work at it some more. It just takes so much time to get things just right.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad haul at the meet. A copps prostrata, green pocillipora, purple stylophora, blue tenuis and a 6 head red acan all for $40. Spent most of the day fixing my rock and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. A good day. Got someone I can get multi head acans for $20 now. Now I just need my pearlberry. :D

I will finally be adding another fish in the next week or so. A local reefer is tearing down his tank for a move and selling all occupents. I plan to pick up a yellow coris wrasse off of him. I've been looking for one lately and it's a bargain deal for someone who helps with pests.

I will probably be taking a bit of a break from purchases though to let nature take it's course. I only plan to add some some of the bargain Acans, a pearlberry and a fish or two. I still need to mount a few things from this weekend but I just want to make sure I like where I have them first. I'll try and add some new pics soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just a short update for now. My zoas have had the hardest time adjusting to the light so I have decided to move them to my frag tank (now packed). They loved halides but not T5s. The SPS on the other hand love the T5s.

I've been fighting a bad case of slime algae since the addition of the pukani rock that cycled for a month. I'm planning on firing up my old school top fathom skimmer since it all I have for now to see if it is a nutrient problem. I only feed a small amount every other day but I have a feeling that nutrients are the issue. Caleupra growth has taken off so I figure it must have a food source.

I'll update later with pics of both tanks.

I set my old school top fathom venturi skimmer back up (see page one for pic of the skimmer). I've got my mag 7 running it and it's kicking out some foam. Good old school skimmer (~15 years old and works like a charm). I picked up a rio 2100 that I will use for a return pump. I just need to pick up some tubing and barbs and I'll be back in shape.

underneath the tank

DSCN0687.jpg

48 hours of scum on the skimmer

DSCN0689.jpg

few shots of the new resident

DSCN0674.jpg

DSCN0675.jpg

fully based out milli

DSCN0690.jpg

accidental frag

DSCN0691.jpg

Thanks. I moved most of the zoas to my twenty to do some recovery. They just can't handle the 6 bulb T5's. Too much PAR or something.

The skimmer is still kicking out some nice scum. Slime algae has begun to reduce in the tank as well. It's looking up and up for now.

Got a few pieces to add in the next couple of days, ORA rose milli, pink with green polyp milli, pokerstar monti and I'm ordering some bargain Superman digitata this weekend. Some will go in the frag tank and some will go in the display. Excited about the superman digitata because I love the encrusting version in my tank now. :P

Slime algae is gone. Been clean for a few days with no sign of a return. Snails that I thought were dead have now returned to life after a month of being dormant.

Picked up a couple nice milli frags, a cali tort frag and nice unknown acro (yellow with blue tips) over the weekend. Some pokerstar, superman digi and a paly grandis to come in the next couple of days. I'll post some pics when everything is in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a few things this weekend. I had a local in the club that was selling some ATL red watermelon chalice for $50. I picked up a frag that is still a fresh cut but has about 4 or 5 eyes. I also picked up a nice frag of blue acans. :happy:

I checked my Red Acans that I have and noticed about 7 small new heads on the underside of the frag. I'm very happy with how quickly they seem to grow and look forward to my new acan arrival.

My ATL red watermelon chalice may have given me the chalice bug so I will have to fight that expensive urge.

Last thing, I found my acan eating a cerith snail. The shell was half swallowed when I found it. Strange.

A few pics of all the new babies on my blood red Acan.

DSCN0806.jpg

DSCN0804.jpg

DSCN0807.jpg

DSCN0805.jpg

There are more underneath that pop out from underneath at night

I replaced my super actinic bulb over the weekend with a Giessman actinic plus for a more blue look. In the process of doing so I managed to burn out an ATI blue + and KZ fiji purple bulb. Frustrating to say the least. I went ahead and ordered three new bulbs to play with the colors a bit. Here’s a few combos I’m going to try when the bulbs arrive.

(Front)

ATI blue +

KZ fiji purple

ATI blue +

Giesemann Actinic+ (about the same as a blue +)

ATI pro color

ATI blue +

(Back)

then,

(Front)

ATI blue +

ATI pro color

ATI blue +

KZ fiji purple

ATI blue +

(Back)

then,

(Front)

ATI blue +

ATI pro color

ATI blue +

ATI aqua blue special

ATI blue +

(Back)

and finally,

(Front)

ATI blue +

KZ fiji purple

ATI blue +

ATI aqua blue special

ATI blue +

(Back)

I still have the super actinic by UVL that I can play with as well.

It is not as blue, it has some pop but brightens the tank a bit. There are 3 blue +, 1 actinic +, 1 kz Fiji purple, and 1 super actinic on the fixture. It is more blue than the pic but not actinic looking. Everything pops without the tank being too dim. It closely resembles a radium 20k.

Archived