ReefCleaners.org

70w MH build UPDATE!

cloons411

photo-1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

I built it inside of a power supply for a computer. I had to remove one of the fans and the other isn't hooked up yet. I opted to put it in there so i had an on/off switch and my power in already wired in. No bulb yet so i can't fire it, they are in the mail. LMK what you think.

????????? I dont see it, i mean i see the picture i just don't see the built in fixture. I see one next to a power supply or is that two power supplys side by side and one is for reference. please elaborate or post better pics for explanation. interesting idea :)

Can u post a parts list and directions? Being a computer geek/repair tech I got plenty of spare Power supplys laying around! geat idea!

Can u post a parts list and directions? Being a computer geek/repair tech I got plenty of spare Power supplys laying around! geat idea!

List of materials:

#gem70mltlc3d-5 ballast (obtained locally) $45

300w shop light $10

HD extension cord (I used black for looks) $6

70w MH DE bulb (of your choice) $20 (test light)

wire nuts $2

Power supply Free (came w/ pc tower)

Directions:

Remove useless crap from the light being converted

photo-7.jpg

Cut end off extension cord and wire accordingly

photo-5.jpg

Remove guts from power supply

photo-4.jpg

Insert/wire ballast and accessories

photo-3.jpg

Wiring is pretty straight forward. Good thread though on your personal DIY of this setup. I have a similar over my 10g custom AIO tank. Couple pics of it too in my tank thread. :)

The ballast is from graybar, its a metal halide ballast. there was no ballast that came with the shoplight.

so thats the ballast from the shop light in the power supply housing
so thats the ballast from the shop light in the power supply housing

:huh:

Shop lights don't have ballasts, they are halogen...

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

I built it inside of a power supply for a computer. I had to remove one of the fans and the other isn't hooked up yet. I opted to put it in there so i had an on/off switch and my power in already wired in. No bulb yet so i can't fire it, they are in the mail. LMK what you think.

So if i was to do this is there a different type of ballast for an HQI bulb or the traditional mogul type bulb.Or does it not matter as long as the wattages match up. And did u have to modify the socket to the hold the Mh bulb or did it just clip right in place.I really like this idea because i can save a lot of money by doing this myself.I might have to use a metal electric box to mount the ballast in and include a fan 4 ventilation but it's still the same principal..

Would this setup work if I used a 150wt HQI MH bulb instead of the 70wt? I figured that the as long as the ballast wattage matched the bulb then im ok...just wondered about the heat of the bulb in the fixture but the halogen was a 300wt which should produce quite a bit of heat as well.

The Propagator

It would work, just make sure to get a power supply case with enough room to hold the ballast guts, OR just buy an enclosed electronic ballast to start with ?

• 8 months later...

Archived