Innovative Marine Aquariums

Professor's 40 Breeder

Professor

Very nice stand.... are we there yet?

Thanks Lani. I wish I was "there yet" :angry: Slowly but surely I will get it done. Hopefully my overflow kit will get here quickly.

Once the stand is finished this thing will go together quick like a bunny. :D

-Prof

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
any updates?

No updates to report yet. Still trying to find the time to get the lumber milled for the doors and get them assembled so I can sand and finish the stand. Going to try and get my overflow kit ordered from Glass Holes this week along with my return bulkheads. Things have been crazy at work plus I am helping coach my son's baseball team so extra time is in short supply. I'll get there though. Have you started making your stand yet?

I really like the stand, it would look a lot nicer with a sump though. :)

Thanks Nal! :D

I'm thinking either 20H, 20L or 29gal for the sump. I can just squeeze a 30" long tank in the stand when I remove the center brace. Still planning out my sump/refugium layout. I could also make a custom one out of acrylic if I got real industrious. I have all the tools, weld-on, etc. Decisions, decisions! -_-

-Prof

• 2 weeks later...

No i am procuring wood i have the post and furniture grade plywood(still need pine board). o yeah and the kreg jig. Iam trying to find a 40 breeder tank at the moment. I just bought a vortech MP40 so iam halfway there haha, well actually nowhere near halfway. I am building this really slow for some reason. its kinda fun that way. Good luck with the baseball season! and the stand is gorgeous still.

All right, the stand construction is finished. Got the lumber for my doors milled and got everything assembled. Just have to finish sand and then get my stain and topcoat on. Hopefully I can get that done this week.

Let me know what you guys think.

100_0695.jpg

100_0696.jpg

Things should start moving quicker now that the construction phase is done!!! :D

-Prof

No i am procuring wood i have the post and furniture grade plywood(still need pine board). o yeah and the kreg jig. Iam trying to find a 40 breeder tank at the moment. I just bought a vortech MP40 so iam halfway there haha, well actually nowhere near halfway. I am building this really slow for some reason. its kinda fun that way. Good luck with the baseball season! and the stand is gorgeous still.

Sounds like you are making progress. I am thinking about one of the Vortech pumps for my tank (eventually). I need to get it set up and see what the flow looks like from the sump and go from there.

-Prof

Beautiful stand!

+1

Gorgeous!! Very well done...

Thanks guys! I will be building a canopy to match but that will probably happen after the tank is set up.

-Prof

• 3 weeks later...
Professor

Well the stand is finished, just need to put the doors back on then I will post a pics!!! :D Just need to put one more coat of paint on the inside. Time to get ready to drill!

On another note I ran into a deal through someone at my work who was breaking down a tank and he gave me about 70 lbs of live rock, about 50 red mushies, a rock covered with green palys (~50-70 polyps) and a couple of fish, plus CUC. There was also a long spined sea urchin in the deal that I have no idea what to do with. :mellow: I did not see any of the stuff prior to picking it up so I had no idea what I was getting. Amazingly, the fish and inverts survived a 4 hour drive in rubbermaid bins in 90 degree weather since the guy drive this stuff to me from Norfolk.

The problem is the rock is covered in Bryopsis and I am not sure to how to eradicate it. I have the majority of the rock sitting in a unlighted tub after manually remove as much as I can. The rocks with corals are in a seperate tank by themselves. I have heard tell that slowly increasing magnesium levels will kill it. I have also though about keeping it in the bin for a month with a heater and a powerhead and keeping it in the dark to see what happens. The sea urchin looks like it may be eating some of the Bryopsis, but it is hard to tell. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions?

Pics of the stand coming later.

-Prof

Weetabix7

Check with johnmaloney on whether the sea urchin will eat bryopsis, he could tell you.

The most successful method of bryopsis eradication seems to be raising magnesium using Kent's Tech-M magnesium supplement.

Professor

Thanks Weetie. I still haven't decided what to do with the sea urchin. If it does eat the Bryopsis that would be great. I did not know it was even coming until the guy said "Careful when you put your hand in the bucket"!!! :o The only problem is that my research shows they also like to eat coraline algae too.

I can't really complain since the stuff was all free and I have laid out the rock for how I want to put it in the 40Br and I think it will look pretty good.

I will PM John and see what he says.

-Prof

Weetabix7

Yeah, I think they do eat coralline.

But if they eat bryopsis, just stick the rock and urchin in a dark container for a month and let him munch away.

Trade him in at LFS once bryopsis is gone.

Professor
Yeah, I think they do eat coralline.

But if they eat bryopsis, just stick the rock and urchin in a dark container for a month and let him munch away.

Trade him in at LFS once bryopsis is gone.

I just got a PM from John Maloney that said the urchin probably wouldn't eat the Bryopsis. I think I am going to look into the magnesium and some other possible resolution.

-Prof

Paleoreef103

Stand looks great. Are you a true professor? If so what do you teach? I'm just a bit curious.

Professor
Stand looks great. Are you a true professor? If so what do you teach? I'm just a bit curious.

Thanks for the compliment on the stand.

Professor is the call-sign the people I work with gave me. I work with the USMC and USN and everyone in our office ends up with a call sign sooner or later. Usually for something goofy or good we have done, a play on our name, etc. I got mine for my capacity for useless knowledge. I have another one, but that is a story I would rather not get into........... ;)

-Prof

Professor

As promised earlier, here is a pic of the finished stand. Still need to rub out the finish but other than that is is done. It's actually a satin finish and not as glossy in person. Hope you guys like it.

100_0727.jpg

Also a pic of some of the free stuff I got last weekend that I mentioned earlier. All of the rest of the free rock is in a tub.

100_0721.jpg

Let me know what you think! Looks like it is time to start drilling some glass.

-Prof

Professor
Indeed start drilling! So an aggressive tank then?

:huh: No not agressive. It's going to be a clownfish/anemone tank. If your talking about the damsel in the pic it came along with the free live rock and other stuff I got a week or so ago.

the stand looks good.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Archived