inTank Media Baskets

I ran into this Shrimp

jds

Don't see what the problem is. You seemed pretty entertained in the videos. Keep it and start a mantis tank.

Yeah as fun as it was the tanks purpose was to be a reef tank with corals and a few clowns. I would hate to have this guy drive me mad by killing more than he already has. I would would be pissed if he hurt the picassos I have on order.

-jds

I don't think I could ever eat them (Too intelligent to eat - my conscience would never forgive me. I can't eat cephalopods for the same reason), but they're definitely on the menu in some places.

long haired hippy freak. Do you eat meat?

No offense to those who like the mantis shrimps but I wanted to have a reef with corals and fish, even bottom fish. So I went to talk to the LFS about swapping out the rock he is in. I think I can get it out with him in it to trade for a new piece. If I get fully cured it wont cause but a mini cycle at best.

Am I crazy? I love this rock and its hitchhiker corals but I want my picassos that I ordered to be safe. Any other traps I can try besides the bottle?

-jds

So in the final attempt to ID this shrimp, highly likely it is a mantis, I have a new plan I put into play tonight.

Step 1: Mix new saltwater and get it up to temp.

Step 2: Leave the pump, heater, and therm in the bucket and keep it working (salinity 1.025, temp 78.3)

Step 3: Feed my friend in the top most hole a small piece of shrimp off the skewer

Step 4: 1 second after feeding him in his hole, yank the rock and place into new saltwater from Step 1.

Step 5: Wait till he is hungry in his new bucket of saltwater and wave a piece of shrimp on a skewer away from his hole and see if he will leave the rock

Step 6: Yank the rock and leave him alone in the bucket!

Ok so today I did Step 1 and 2. Tonight I got done with 3 and 4.

Lets see if I can do 5 and 6 tomorrow.

:D

HAHAHAHAHAHA this is just way to much..

that vid is soo funny cant wait to see how 5 and 6 go

bzphotog

Ah..I too didn't get a mantis in my LR. Did get a pistol shrimp, but that's about it.

So...how did the final steps go??

Oh and the 2nd video link doesn't work

fail. It's not everyday you meet an animal with the most advanced eyes or the striking ability to produce a small amount of light in an imploding bubble.

Actually, this is done all the time on the East Coast. Shrimpers will catch them in their nets, and cuss at them (they are called "thumb splitters" for obvious reasons) and then toss them in a cooler. They are great to eat (I would NEVER eat one from an aquarium, too many unknowns about the chemicals we dose).

I once caught one about 6" long and didn't know what to do with it, since the only tank I had set up was full of fish and other shrimp, so I put him back. I didn't eat that one, lol, I had mercy on him.

The ones typically caught on the east coast are just ugly shrimp brown, I've never caught one with the fancy coloration of the tropicals.

Ok step 5 and 6 are in holding. I most definatley have him in the bucket step 4 where very successful and he is at least away from my tank. However he isnt wanting to come out of the rock but a few cm's. I can see him, he sees me and wants the shrimp but must not be hungry enough to jump ship quite yet.....

So I will wait for him. I already consider the rock lost so at this point I can wait for him to get really hungry!

haha... :lol: sucker tried to outsmart me,now who is all alone and hungry?

-jds

Archived