Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Odyssea 630W 36" Review

SK8URDEAD

Brian Crook

Yeah I actually just found out about this Aquatraders website and went through all their products. They sell their new 760 watt metal halide / PC fixture and they also carry the 716 watt metal halide / T5 fixture that I am interested in.

I spoke with a rep. on their live chat and inquired about the ballast, asking if the company had made any changes or improvements to their ballasts recently with their new products.

She said that the last major change was in 2007 when they switched from magnetic ballasts to electronic ballasts, but she really didn't have any more information about the ballast. Shipping to Ontario is $55.00 USD in case anybody is interested. She said their online ordering system should be completely up and running in about a weeks time (apparently this is their new website and it is still under construction).

Also, I read your entire thread just now evilc66 regarding improving the 250 watt ballasts. Interesting stuff. A similar fixture would cost me about 1000 dollars or more in Ontario here, so I am really considering this fixture from aquatraders. Even if both of the ballasts are total ######, it would still probably cost me less to replace them both.

This is the model I'm looking at:

http://www.aquatraders.com/odyssea-48-716w...with-t5-ho.html

The shipping is cheaper straight through their website than through eBay.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats great that they are selling them now witha T5 option. It would be great if they fixed the ballast too.

The ballast mod isn't perfect, but it has potential for getting a little more out of it without spending a ton. I'm sure replacing the ballast entirely will still be a very inexpensive option for you.

Thats great that they are selling them now witha T5 option. It would be great if they fixed the ballast too.

The ballast mod isn't perfect, but it has potential for getting a little more out of it without spending a ton. I'm sure replacing the ballast entirely will still be a very inexpensive option for you.

you can say that again. i was going to try that out if my bulbs didnt look so blue and white. but for now im just sticking it to stock. and yeah i had posted about the T5's somewhere else in a other topic

well on day 5 now and i see no problems still. mh turn on fast as hell lol to full power. only thing that bugs me is evap getting on the glass shield so every night i windex it clean lol because the evap spots i dont like :P just my thing lol either going to make a hanging kit for it for it to be higher or put on my glass top, but if i do that i think it will go higher then my max 80degrees and will need a chiller which i dont want..... hmmmmm still runing good though.

Thats not evaporated water. That's splashes from your tank surface, or micro bubbles popping on the surface.. Evaporated water is almost pure H20. Salt does not evaporate with it.

Thats not evaporated water. That's splashes from your tank surface, or micro bubbles popping on the surface.. Evaporated water is almost pure H20. Salt does not evaporate with it.

lol thats what my mother was telling me :P hmm i do see splashes but only when my returns are out of the water looks like there going in then.

lol thats what my mother was telling me :P hmm i do see splashes but only when my returns are out of the water looks like there going in then.

well its been a couple of days and fixture is still runing great i just did some reaqua scaping and i see some growth in my lf. also bulbs still fire fast. no blinking,buzzing,humming,burning smell nothing just perfect so far :).

well after doing some searching i saw some other members ballast off of there odyssea fixture. they were to run 250w mh aswell. the ballast looked the same but what i noticed is the switches. theres had a thin red switch while mine has a thicker/wider black and white switch. so im thinking maybe they might not have changed the outside of the ballast but maybe jsut the switch or inside some how. his was 18 months old and mine is brand new from last month.

Ballasts that my buddy had on his thats over a year old has large black switches.

hopefully i can get that killawat this thursday

Yeah, indeed. It's thursday now SK8! Any killawatt test?

sorry guys i didnt have time to buy it. had to do a water change and buy some other stuff i required for the tank its self along with help my friend out. im going to see if i can just get one out of my dads truck to test it out. also the legs 3-4" tall but mine with the legs are about 5-6" but i keep my water level at the bottom of my rim so more room for less heat. also so far my max heat in tank is 80degrees lowest 78(sleepy time)

Brian Crook

Cool cool. Well I'll be looking forward to the results whenever you are able to post 'em.

Glad to hear everything is working well with your fixture, regardless.

Cool cool. Well I'll be looking forward to the results whenever you are able to post 'em.

Glad to hear everything is working well with your fixture, regardless.

alright well payday is tomorrow and since i no longer need to spend money on equipment on my fishtank. ill be getting a xbox360,gearsofwars2,halo3,killawattmeter,and pair of clowns :P

my lights are still blasting perfectly like brand new nothing going wrong with them so far. i love my hermits and i got a yellowtailed damsel and forgot what the other fish was called lol. but yeah! looks like i have feather dusters really small ones growing. pretty cool i swoop my magfloat next to them and boom back in there tubes they go. also i seem to be growing some type of super small red algae. its not cyno i know what that looks like but its pretty cool very thin and tiny not long like the longhair algae i had growing till my hermits ate most of it. i also seem to have some weird purple plants growing. some look purple some look like a mix of red and purple. well yeah. hmmmm hers a pick of my rockscape i guess and my yellowtailed in this first pick is right next to my magfloat lol, the other one is hiding behind my overflow have to get a better pic of him later on.

im just happy i always thought of getting a AIO but i really like just building the thing on my own and even though ive paid more then $1600 for this before i got the fish it was worth it :)

also just some quick pics of firing up odyssea while i was cleaning my tank a bit and just some other random shots of stuff.

post-41226-1237357098_thumb.jpg

post-41226-1237357184_thumb.jpg

post-41226-1237357240_thumb.jpg

post-41226-1237357295_thumb.jpg

post-41226-1237357335_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to the thread,

I own two Odyssey lights

24" 150w HQI + PC

and

48" (2)x250w HQI + (4)T5

I love them both and have not had any issues, I did how ever upgrade my bulb on the 24" to a Coralife 20k.

Yay for cheap ebay lights!

• 2 weeks later...

I own two Odyssey lights

24" 150w HQI + PC

and

48" (2)x250w HQI + (4)T5

I love them both and have not had any issues, I did how ever upgrade my bulb on the 24" to a Coralife 20k.

well its been what now a month or two since i got the lights? well i still have no problems, my bulbs are still giving out a nice white with a tint of blue, everything works like brand new. only thing i havent had the time to do is the killawat test lol. but other then that when i turn my mh's on my corals burst out with happyness spreading open. also i have a lot of coraline and looks uber sexy!!! purple,maroon and branching coraline.

shrimphombre

That blue tint was definitely not present on my odyssea fixture (at least not until i got an icecap ballast :P)

i think theres a white ballance issue in the pick. taken with a cell phone and its actully pretty close to the same color. first pic is a 2009 odyssea 2x250 with 4 t5's over a 75g, second is a 24" sundail 4x24w t5ho with 2 aquablue spezials and 2 blues on the same tank long ago. the mh setup is bluer and just as bright but the camera shows it a little off. the tank had a nasty time for a few months under far less than ideal lighing so as you can see it suffered. most of the stuff is opening back up like it should now.

post-35306-1239649952_thumb.jpg

post-35306-1239649974_thumb.jpg

hey!

55$ usd for shipping to ontario:)

Great info there as im from here also,

I Thinking of picking up the 24" , any one know the Biggest 24" tank?

20G tall? maybe.

ANyways thanks for the review!

i think theres a white ballance issue in the pick. taken with a cell phone and its actully pretty close to the same color. first pic is a 2009 odyssea 2x250 with 4 t5's over a 75g, second is a 24" sundail 4x24w t5ho with 2 aquablue spezials and 2 blues on the same tank long ago. the mh setup is bluer and just as bright but the camera shows it a little off. the tank had a nasty time for a few months under far less than ideal lighing so as you can see it suffered. most of the stuff is opening back up like it should now.

nice looks like the T5 one has a nice shine to it. i have the pc one as you probley noticed but you have to admit they run good for being cheap and if ever need to upgrade, only thing really is the ballast. the fan on my fixture is silent :) others say its loud. but yeah! also i might even get the 72" T5,3x250's later on because im upgradign to a 150G tank :)

• 3 weeks later...
shiver905

QUOTE (Phase420 @ Mar 30 2009, 04:17 PM)

I own two Odyssey lights

24" 150w HQI + PC

and

48" (2)x250w HQI + (4)T5

I dont think that 24" light u have exists. maybe a typo?

also. If they are underpowered 250w

That would be great for ppl that 1 in the 150watt rang hrh

SK8URDEAD
QUOTE (Phase420 @ Mar 30 2009, 04:17 PM)

I own two Odyssey lights

24" 150w HQI + PC

and

48" (2)x250w HQI + (4)T5

I dont think that 24" light u have exists. maybe a typo?

also. If they are underpowered 250w

That would be great for ppl that 1 in the 150watt rang hrh

well in a way but if they want 150w then i think they might just go and buy that instead because i wanted the 250w's because my tank is almost 2' deep(mine is 22" deep) but yeah still puts out great light just going to upgrade the balast in a couple of months.

Archived