Coral Vue Hydros

Coral Frag Trade Ring

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

I was thinking that it might be cool to start a frag trading ring here.  Since most of us don't live near eachother, maybe we could arrange overnight shipments to eachother?  I've seen some various things done, such as shipping polyps priority mail in film canisters.  If anyone has any ideas on cheap methods of safely shipping frags please post it here.  The safest way is UPS or FedEx overnight, and if anyone is willing to pay a little bit extra in shipping, many other types of corals could be traded.  Just spill your ideas out in this thread and maybe we can bring something together.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in... just need my corals to grow large enough to frag :)  How much do you think it would cost to overnight a film canister?

You might consider a small throw-away gladware container, or one of those little deli containers: there may not be enough oxygen in those really small containers for livestock.  Couldn't be that much more expensive, as I'm sure there is a minimum weight for overnighted packages anyway.

I have had big bags of caluerpa/water overnighted by the US post office ofr $14.95, probably upwards of 3 lbs.  This only works best if you have a PO box or mail delivered to where you are during the day.

Sounds good to me. The film canister method has been tried a few times. Works well for trading shrooms and perhaps some gorgonian frags. I believe recently some proposed  trying larger containers like those gladware things for trading other soft corals and even some stonies. Sounds like it is some research that we could do. It would take some cooperation and expecting some loses. And find out a decent cheap way to ship some nicer and more fragile corals.

got a better idea why dont we actually make a separate website devoted to this? could be a good idea we could all greatly benifit from. dunno think about let me know i could start asap ;] the sooner the better...

jinx that sounds good...man i hope this works cause i would like to diversify my tank a little.  I tried this on the other message board and no one responded to me... I guess I was too stinky to approach :fart:  Just kidding

i would join in if there was a canadian one :P

some people use thermos to ship corals.. i know they make small snack sized ones, which are like 5" diameter  and about 4-5" tall. pretty small

Best way to ship mounted frags is to take the base rock & attach a small piece of styrofoam to it with a rubber band, then float it in a container of half/two0-thirds full of water.  This helps to avoid smashing against the sides of bags.containers & the outer box.

Funny thing: I actually got some free frags/cheap frags from a guy in CA a month or two ago.  Todl him this method, and even sent him a styrofoam shipping box.  Seemed fine, until FEDEX called me about a leaking box!  Seems he mounted them fine, put them in bags fine, but then never packed anything around the bags to snug them into the box (no peanuts/crumbled newspaper,etc.), so the bags only took up 1/3 of the box volume, and got tossed around something fierce!  Everyone made it in the end, but what a mess.

iI've heard good things about the gladware packing, but the styro-floater method is definitely the way to go.  Snigle penauts should even be enough.

LOL Stu...I guess I'll start this off, I have a small frag of button polyps i'm willing to trade someone for.  about 7 polyps on a tiny shell.  

Are we gonna set up a honor system too for us newbies that don't have corals large enough to frag?  

I could program a system to show who has what avail to trade and where they are located.  I'll talk to Chris about it.

Christopher Marks

Well the plans so far are to make a database/classifieds style system where people can post info about their frag, a photo, and contact give information.  It will be located at www.frags.nano-reef.com.  More details to come.  If you want to trade frags now, just post what you have in the main forum like usual.  Thanks

stugotz is what you'll have left!!!!

Hey, Lunchbucket:welcome to the board.  The refugium is working fine, by the way.

OK, IS ANYONE OUT THERE FROM THE NJ/NY AREA?

Also, Chris: is there a way to have the poster's location listed on each post?

(Edited by kennerd at 9:59 am on Aug. 29, 2001)

Christopher Marks
stugotz is what you'll have left!!!!

LMAO!!! Hahaha!

Kennard, it will likely show the frag owners e-mail, zip code, city name and state.  Then if you are interested in the frag, you can e-mail them for their address and arrange the trade.

I was aactually referring to all of the posts, site-wide.  Some of the other boards list some additional information below the post: here's the bottom edge of your last post:

Total Posts: 118 | Joined June 2001 | Posted on: 3:24 pm on Aug. 29, 2001 | IP

Perhaps an additional item in that line for location?

Archived