SaltCritters.com

Project100 - Rimless Bathtub -

Maeda

Still have 5?

YUP. :D

I believe that the population levelled out proportionate to the amount i was able to feed. The last remaining guys are SUPER aggressive eaters, and are very fat.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We also have a new addition that I will snap a pic of if he ever comes out of hiding. -_-

Our new addition is dead. :mellow:

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Nick's Reef
Our new addition is dead. :mellow:

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Don't know what ur doing, but what was it?

Don't know what ur doing, but what was it?

It was a really nice Clown/Solar Fairy Wrasse.

P1010935.jpg

One I had a couple years back.

Not sure what I did wrong yet. I did a little post mortum exam, and I didn't find any parasites, or funky flukes or anything. :\

Fins were intact, and the bugger LOOKED ok the day before yesterday. He had just started comming out and swimming, and inspecting food. The next day, loss of color, and sitting around on the floor breathing heavy, and ultimately death in the late evening. He had been in the tank since last sunday.

My list of possibles -

Stress, from dipping him before sticking in the display

Stress from a new environment

Unseen disease

Collection or rough handling

My tank is cursed

Guess again.

1 dissapeared last night. :\

Down to 4.

He was healthy, fat and a good swimmer! I'm baffled. Even with the live brine feeding 24/7 they're still dropping. I'm thinking that these bastards are hyper sensitive, AND need to eat a ton of something i'm just not providing.

DaveFason

Well looks like the same thing with me. I have had the same 2 for over three weeks now. These guys are super healthy and look great. Way better than they ever have.

I cant really pin-point the cause of deaths. I started a thread on RC and a guy with an amazing 300g had all 20 of his die!

I am going to try a small school of Blue eye dart gobies once my LFS guy can order again. We will see how it goes!

I'll keep you posted Maeda

-Dave

Well looks like the same thing with me. I have had the same 2 for over three weeks now. These guys are super healthy and look great. Way better than they ever have.

I cant really pin-point the cause of deaths. I started a thread on RC and a guy with an amazing 300g had all 20 of his die!

I am going to try a small school of Blue eye dart gobies once my LFS guy can order again. We will see how it goes!

I'll keep you posted Maeda

-Dave

Keep good notes if you can. I'm going to order more and do the same. There's GOT TO BE A WAY!

Sweet tank. Could you show and tell more about the DIY skimmer?

Sicce psk 2500 mesh modded, and a little work on the volute. Inlet restrictor, and uh... a body and neck.

The square body really wasnt the best idea, too much turbulence, but hopefully the bubble plate will sorta that out. What else do you wanna know?

• 2 weeks later...

Started with 12

down to 4 parvulus

Started with 9

down to 6 lepthicanthus

I'm feeding 4 times a day + live brine hatching every 24 hours.

I have a feeling part of the problem is not the parvulus specifically.

The parvulus are touchy, yes, but I think part of the problem is my inexperience with feeding a school of fish.

I'm noticing that with frequent small feedings, the smallest of the group always ends up malnourished and eventually dies. I noticed a very similar rate of die off in my glass cards once the parvulus population was stabilized.

I upped it to many LARGE feedings per day, and the deaths seem to have subsided. I'm going to attempt another school (maybe not parvulus) or increase the number of glass cards I have, and attempt to feed very LARGE feedings multiple times per day.

I don't think these fish were designed to compete with each other for food. After watching them feed in a few documentaries, i'm starting to think they swim in place in a cloud, and LARGE very wide clouds of plankton pass through them. They're starving because they're simply not used to competing with each other as they do with timed feedings in captivity.

Overpopulation kills.

Maeda - How are things going? I still have my two still but I have been so busy with work and getting ready to move that my tank hasnt been attended as much. The two I have left are still looking great!

I am still thinking of trying them out again. If your feeding so much why dont you just get some Anthias ;)

-Dave

Maeda - How are things going? I still have my two still but I have been so busy with work and getting ready to move that my tank hasnt been attended as much. The two I have left are still looking great!

I am still thinking of trying them out again. If your feeding so much why dont you just get some Anthias ;)

-Dave

I lost one last night to some kind of secondary infection.

Something beat him up, but he recovered... only to have his tail fall off. He went strong for over a week, but last night he disapeared. Doh.

Yah I think anthias might be next. :)

I've been looking at my tank but not really doing anything. It has to grow in for a few years. I must say having a big tank is a million times easier. It requires very little attention.

Started with 12

down to 4 parvulus

Started with 9

down to 6 lepthicanthus

I'm feeding 4 times a day + live brine hatching every 24 hours.

I have a feeling part of the problem is not the parvulus specifically.

The parvulus are touchy, yes, but I think part of the problem is my inexperience with feeding a school of fish.

I'm noticing that with frequent small feedings, the smallest of the group always ends up malnourished and eventually dies. I noticed a very similar rate of die off in my glass cards once the parvulus population was stabilized.

I upped it to many LARGE feedings per day, and the deaths seem to have subsided. I'm going to attempt another school (maybe not parvulus) or increase the number of glass cards I have, and attempt to feed very LARGE feedings multiple times per day.

I don't think these fish were designed to compete with each other for food. After watching them feed in a few documentaries, i'm starting to think they swim in place in a cloud, and LARGE very wide clouds of plankton pass through them. They're starving because they're simply not used to competing with each other as they do with timed feedings in captivity.

Overpopulation kills.

That's a lot of work. I thought the glass cardinals were much hardier than that after shipping stress.

That's a lot of work. I thought the glass cardinals were much hardier than that after shipping stress.

ME TOO. :angry: I can't blame the fish 100% though. Part of it was me not knowing HOW to feed a school. Lesson learned at the expense of our finned friends. I think the 2nd time around i'll have more success.

Archived