inTank Media Baskets

easy, inexpensive DIY dosing pump

glennr1978

Ahh Good idea!

Basically, I can run 3 aqualifters one for Cal and the other 2 for ALK and MAG :) I have an aqua controller and could run the pumps with that.

your a genius!

PS

I also been using these aqualifter pumps for quite some time for top-off and they work flawlessly.

make sure you use either outlet #4, or #8 (might want to double check that, but i'm pretty sure those are the ones that are recommended for low wattage pumps, etc.) if you use your controller. if not you may have issues with the controller not switching the aqualifters off. i've thought about using my acjr instead of the little wal mart timer to simplify my set up.

make sure you use either outlet #4, or #8 (might want to double check that, but i'm pretty sure those are the ones that are recommended for low wattage pumps, etc.) if you use your controller. if not you may have issues with the controller not switching the aqualifters off. i've thought about using my acjr instead of the little wal mart timer to simplify my set up.

Hmm.... interesting I never knew that. I actually had an issue when I had the aqualifter plugged into outlet #5(DC8) for my auto top off and always wondered why.

Thanks for the info :)

Hmm.... interesting I never knew that. I actually had an issue when I had the aqualifter plugged into outlet #5(DC8) for my auto top off and always wondered why.

Thanks for the info :)

no problem. seriously, double check and make sure that it is #4 and #8. i could be wrong, but i think those are the right ones.

no problem. seriously, double check and make sure that it is #4 and #8. i could be wrong, but i think those are the right ones.

Any idea where I would find that info?

Found a bunch and it appears #4 & #8 are for low wattage and you mentioned. I will be switching my auto top off into one of those as soon as I get home, it is in #5 now :(

• 1 month later...
darkside212

here's mine..

I don't have a sump so I made a holder for the lifter out of scrap acrylic....the tube doesn't touch the water so no check valve is needed

post-35748-1242357831_thumb.jpg

Edited by darkside212
glennr1978
here's mine..

I don't have a sump so I made a holder for the lifter out of scrap acrylic....the tube doesn't touch the water so no check valve is needed

How is it working out for you so far?

darkside212
How is it working out for you so far?

great, but instead of using a valve I changed the solution concentration. I have it about half the concentration of the recommendation by brs.

glennr1978
great, but instead of using a valve I changed the solution concentration. I have it about half the concentration of the recommendation by brs.

i thought about doing the same thing, but I'd have to dillute my 2 part quite a bit to get it right. Maybe I should go ahead and switch to the BRS stuff....

darkside212
i thought about doing the same thing, but I'd have to dillute my 2 part quite a bit to get it right. Maybe I should go ahead and switch to the BRS stuff....

um just bake baking soda in the oven for an hour at 300f

then buy a 20-50lb bag of calcium chloride...

same as BRS at about 1/10 the price

I'm glad to see someone tried this, I'll be giving it a go pretty soon.

how many mLs does it put out in a minute? I need to automate my two-part and this seems like a cheap way to do it if I can get the doses just right...

how many mLs does it put out in a minute? I need to automate my two-part and this seems like a cheap way to do it if I can get the doses just right...

I believe he tweaked the little valve to the tune of 5mL/min. I have some needle valves laying around so I'm hoping to have an easier time getting it to about that. Even if one was to buy these valves, it would be still far less than those peristaltic pumps. I'm out of town right now, but I'll post again to let you know how the needle valves work.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.a...duct%5Fid=15616

Glenn are you finding that it pumps less when the container is almost empty, since the pump technically has to "lift" the solution farther?

Thanks

Edited by apt220
glennr1978
Glenn are you finding that it pumps less when the container is almost empty, since the pump technically has to "lift" the solution farther?

Thanks

i thought about that when i first set up the pump so i tested it with the container almost empty, and then again with it completely full. it didn't make any difference either way.

btw, i typically only keep enough solution in the reservoirs to last ~4 days. that way if the system were to fail and the pump stayed on continuosly it wouldn't be as likely to crash my tank. i keep my tank at 7-8 dkh (because i dose vodka) so even under the worst circumstances my tank could only rise to ~12 dkh. granted, that much of a spike in a short period of time would probably cause some problems, but nothing catastrophic, i would hope.

I put mine together today--started to anyway. I guess my ACjr for this tank has the old DC8, with NO outlets that will turn on/off the aqualifter(4 and 8 get stuck on when aqualifter is plugged in, just using manual mode), so tomorrow I'll be off to pickup some splitters and light bulbs to add a bit of extra draw to each plug. I also couldn't calibrate mine exactly--got one at 6 mL/min and one at 4mL/min, so at least they share a lot of multiples. I haven't started mine yet, but do you find that it's siphoning back when it clicks off, and do you account for that somehow? I tend to hate putting any faith into check valves, but if I have to, I suppose I could pick up a couple of those, too...

• 1 month later...
I put mine together today--started to anyway. I guess my ACjr for this tank has the old DC8, with NO outlets that will turn on/off the aqualifter(4 and 8 get stuck on when aqualifter is plugged in, just using manual mode), so tomorrow I'll be off to pickup some splitters and light bulbs to add a bit of extra draw to each plug. I also couldn't calibrate mine exactly--got one at 6 mL/min and one at 4mL/min, so at least they share a lot of multiples. I haven't started mine yet, but do you find that it's siphoning back when it clicks off, and do you account for that somehow? I tend to hate putting any faith into check valves, but if I have to, I suppose I could pick up a couple of those, too...

Just made it through my first gallon a few days ago. Calibration isn't perfect--I had to adjust minutes so that the amounts being used match, but it's working well so far (knocks on wood).

I just put the end of the tube up higher than the reservoir. that way creating a siphon is impossible.

well, unless the level is the same as in the holding containers, I've found that it will siphon to some small degree--either forward or backward. I've minimized the importance of this by trying to do all the dosing in one or two intervals, so that the first mL or whatever isn't really that big of a deal.

I just put the end of the tube up higher than the reservoir. that way creating a siphon is impossible.
  • 5 weeks later...