Cultivated Reef

James' 22l Pico 8months progress

Jamo

Just two crappy pics of my new duncan coral, just the two heads but for £6 i can't complain. Feeding them frozen mysis and they love it. They get about 5 mysis a day each. Thats individul mysis, not 5 blocks...

duncan2.jpg

duncan1.jpg

I do like this coral alot. Glad i found a shop willing to frag it for me :)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got a candy cane with 3/6 heads, they are in the middle of dividing. Well happy, got them for a great price £7. Ethan from Angels Aquatics in Selly Oak fragged me them from his own tank :) Picks to come this evening after i've milliput them into place. Does anybody know if i can chop some of the stem off as the stem is about 3 inches and it too large to stick out of my rock work.

Got another Candy cane, this time its a fluorescent green one. Only the two heads but, i've found i'm running out of space in terms of what can go next to what.

On a bad note when using my milliput to place some corals I used too much for one dosage and the water quality took a huge dive over night. My Hysterix bleached to about 90% how ever after a big water change and an air stone for 24hours I've got the water back to normal. The Hysterix looks like it may survive as there are still polyps and flesh. I hope it will recover as its a beautiful coral and a really nice frag that looked like it had a lot of promise.

My friend got a new camera yesterday so i've asked him if he will come and take some shots of my tank, though i may leave it a couple of days to see if the hysterix recovers.

Just got a nice brown porites, it has purple tipped polyps, well happy with it :) Came with a few zoa hitch hickers which i'll have to scrape off in a few days, they are on the underside. The previous owner said they extend from beneath the coral but i'll move them and put them on a rock and take them to the lfs of frag swap as i have too many pink zoas.

• 3 weeks later...

After just under 3months of the tank being rulled by crabs; there's a new kid in town.

Jimtherandal.jpg

Jim the Randal Goby.

Hoping to pair this little guy up with a randals pistol in a week or two, once the fish has settled and the tank is coping with the bioload. He's quite timid and evasive, hiding in crevices and under the heater. I've read they might not eat for a few days so I will leave it till tomorrow before i try to tempt him out with food.

Also started feeding phyto to my tank for my porites and hysterix. The hysterix is healing up nicely after the milliput incident that wiped out the majority of its soft tissue. I'm waiting for a nice camera to take some new pics.

Pistol shrimp in a pico can be a nightmare :D make sure you have no frags on the subtrate or the shrimp will steal them, same with empty shells, It will partially burry your live rock too. Once they settle on a place for their lair they are pretty fun to watch though.

Pistol shrimp in a pico can be a nightmare :D make sure you have no frags on the subtrate or the shrimp will steal them, same with empty shells, It will partially burry your live rock too. Once they settle on a place for their lair they are pretty fun to watch though.

Steal them? Do they move stuff about that much? My rock scape is quite sturdy so not to worried, going to move my hysterix though just incase, don't want that snapping anymore!

Dave:

What did you feed yours? I've given it frozen mysis but it hasnt come out of its hiding place for it, i might put some in tonight see if it comes out then. My pod population looks to be smaller but not sure if thats the fish, didnt think they would eat pods...

Still not caught him eating, he's quite timid. Have noticed today he's started to come into the middle of the tank out of his cave hes dug out. Hes managed to almost create a cave-in of my skape moving so much substrate...

One of my heads on my candycane frag is no more, it didn't ever look like it was getting better. When I got it it had been stung by an lps in the guys tank, hence him fragging it. One of the other heads looks to be receeding a bit.

Noticed my temp has been a bit high since I added a glass lid. So gone to 1hour on 30mins off on the M.H. Going to look into getting a lid that is drilled, not sure if this would cause shadows or a loss of light. Any ideas?

Dave:

What did you feed yours? I've given it frozen mysis but it hasnt come out of its hiding place for it, i might put some in tonight see if it comes out then. My pod population looks to be smaller but not sure if thats the fish, didnt think they would eat pods...

Mine used to eat all the usual frozen meaty stuff... wasnt fussy at all. He was a little timid though so I had to feed at both ends of the tank at the same time to give him a better chance of getting some food and occasionaly I would put some cockle or shrimp directly on the substrate near him. I dont think it was enough though as he took a liking to my hermits...he would take a hermit to the pistol shrimp who would break the shell open and then they would share the meal...lol.. they must have eaten about 20 hermits before I noticed.

Mine used to eat all the usual frozen meaty stuff... wasnt fussy at all. He was a little timid though so I had to feed at both ends of the tank at the same time to give him a better chance of getting some food and occasionaly I would put some cockle or shrimp directly on the substrate near him. I dont think it was enough though as he took a liking to my hermits...he would take a hermit to the pistol shrimp who would break the shell open and then they would share the meal...lol.. they must have eaten about 20 hermits before I noticed.

That is genius. I wish he would take a liking to hermit and bristle worm. My hermits are doing my head in atm, might get rid of a few. They are great to watch but the skeleton hermits kill bigger hermits in a gang then fight over the shell. One has been pestering the conch but he is more than well armoured. I may have to put half a block of frozen in once every other day infront of his lair and sink some flake for the hermits so they don't pinch his meaty treat.

I don't think he is picky, just too timid to chase after food when i pipette it near him.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tank is currently cycling again after sitting idle for a few months :) updates to follow shortly :)

Looking forward to updates.

Did you ever get that Goby eating well?

Yes, he turned out to be the healthiest fish I've ever had marine wise. Still got him! I noticed that he was hunting pods. He's only ever eaten flake 3-4 times when I moved the pico stock into my new tank, I don't think many pods came with the rock but as I say, he's in great shape now. He still doesn't eat flake or frozen food. He will nibble at frozen but I have a pistol shrimp hitch hiker in my tank, he's not found him yet though, saying that it's been about a month so...maybe he just doesn't want to be friends.

The Lounge Tank

Dimensions Tank: 32W x 38H x 32D cm

Water Capacity: 28L

Lighting: 1x 11W PL lamps 50:50 White:Red

Powerhead: 1100L/hr

Filtration:2' Deep Sand Bed and 4kg Live Rock

Stocking

Corals:

Zoas

(Lps to be added)

Fish:

(Plans of Clown pair and unknown Goby)

Clean Up Crew:

2x Cerith Snails

2x Astrea Snails

1x Halloween Crab

1x Shrimp

(To be added when tank is ready)

Skimmer: TMC v2 400 Protein Skimmer (for an hour a week)

Current Shot of tank:

DSC01388.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Jamo, only just found your link. Interesting stuff. I have exactly the same tank as yours; Aqua Start 320. Finally, someone with the same equipment.

I've been worried about the 11w PL light, so added an underwater 1w arcadia blue LED.

Are you running two separate tanks now - the one in the post above is obviously new, while you had an Aqua Start with tons of corals in it.

I have two small clowns in mine, about 10lbs of LR and inch of LS, 400l/hr filter, Koralia nano [for flow].

My CUC is a tiger conch, two small turbos and one small reg-legged hermit crab. I also have two sexy shrimp.

I wasn't going to stock it with anything more other than corals. I already have one toadstool in there.

Your thoughts? And let me know about your different tanks, if indeed they are different...

Archived