Cultivated Reef

James' 22l Pico 8months progress

Jamo

Can somebody please remind me the LFS is shut on tuesdays? I sat in 30 mins of traffic to be bitterly dissappointed!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Naked Wookie

great looking pico man, sorry to hear about the store being closed, looking forward to see your new additions whenever you can get them

fallenlordz
Can somebody please remind me the LFS is shut on tuesdays? I sat in 30 mins of traffic to be bitterly dissappointed!

Man that sucks LOL :happy:

Guess you will going today, hope you get some nice corals ;)

I don't know how I missed this thread but the tank is coming along nicely. :)

I was expecting this comment a page ago. Glad i have your approval. You have any advice for what i can do to it? I have very little evap, so no need for an ato, i could do with help on stocking some monti/brain coral and lighting.

Man that sucks LOL :happy:

Guess you will going today, hope you get some nice corals ;)

Todays money is going on a gig. Going to see pete doherty tonight, don't know if you lot get the constant news feed we do on him over here, he's pretty controversial in his drug habits which he is open about and things he has done for his drugs etc i.e. missing tours, selling his body and making art word with his own blood. But above that is a great lryacist and judging from his solo album a bit of a musician too. Saw him three years ago so will be interesting to see how he has grown and how i have too lol.

LFS tomorrow (i hope if not def will be friday!), two days behind water change day but the water appears to be much better than ever so not stressed about it. I did see my clown flashing on some live rock earlier but it was next to the nem so i'm not sure if he was doing it in a prehosting behaviour or not. No site of white spot, should stand out well on his black body so i'm watching that closely.

Just got back from the lfs, done a cyano vacuum and taken 20% of the water out. Fragged my button polyps too, accidentally as it happens. I moved a bit of live rock and they had spread across two rocks with the orange clove things that nobody can i.d. and 4 polyps came off, so i moved them. I did a bit of a rescape and moved my zoas about a bit too.

The lfs had a bit of a crappy stock today, they had loads of new fish in, had about 10 diff mandarins. Managed to get a peppermint shrimp ordered and some nassirius snails and a bumble bee snail. I know the bumble bee snails predate on other snails, but i think its a price to pay for the benefits they have. Also i have asked for some small conch to be held for me so i can have one for a while to eat up my cyano that i keep getting.

Going to a diff lfs in a minute as i forgot some treatment for my trop tank, maybe pic up some zoas from there!

I purchased two more ceriths and a halloween hermit to help improve the cuc.

I really like the looks of the Halloween hermit crabs...

I like the fact they take conch shells rather than just the average cerith or astrea. He hasn't moved yet, i acclimitised him over two hours dripping tank water into his bag, not sure whats going on with him. Hopefully he'll be up and about in no time. My new ceriths both buried into the sand straight away, hopefully eating up lots of detritus.

RIP blue acara! My fave trop fish just went to the big amazon in the sky...i'm so gutted :( He only just paired up with the other female in the tank and she is now darting about looking for him.

My red grape algae in a urine sample vile... NICE! I gave it a quick wash in some salt water i keep for top offs.
So you say you use salt water for top offs? thats bad you know

I was just about to ask the same thing.

I was just about to ask the same thing.

Ask about what? what to use for top offs? I get very little evap, maybe the equivalent of 2mm so nothing at all really. I change water twice a week so i haven't really noticed an increase in sg. Everything is healthy and flourishing so...

Got a new fts after having to move some rock last night due to the power head stopping, some sand got into the impeller chamber and caused havoc, nothing a quick clean wouldn't fix. The motor was bloody hot though! No probs in that tank though!

Photo-0013-3.jpg

The halloween crab is hard to snap as he stays close to the tank glass and i can't focus very effectively to counter this... may move him tomorrow to take a pic though.

ayy man it looks really good

Just need all your zoas, a yuma, a superman shroom, fungia plate, montipora plate, small bubble tip anemone, birds nest, maybe a sun coral and a goniporia. Thats the plan anyway! It will be sweet if i can keep it stable with that in it.

That plans sounds really good, I would skip the goni and the bta.

I think the goni and bubble tip would be purely for pics, then would go on the 3' long. They are both going to cost like £30 each so i wouldn't waste that on them for the pico, considering the amount of nutrient i would be adding to the water for them.

Gonis have horrible records in aquariums usually dieing within six months, The bta would most likely be ok in the 3 ft if you had good lights and fed it with shrimp or fish every few days.

Gonis have horrible records in aquariums usually dieing within six months, The bta would most likely be ok in the 3 ft if you had good lights and fed it with shrimp or fish every few days.

Yeah i heard about gonis dying all the time. I think its mainly because people don't feed them properly because of skimming the stuff they are feeding...bta would get the same treatment my ric/mini carpet anemone (not sure what it is was sold as a ric, theres a pic on page 4 or 5) but on a larger scale, instead of a frozen mysis (one shrimp not a cube!) every couple of days. I want some sun corals, just don't think i would be keen on feeding it daily!

Yea the sun corals are too much of a pain for me, and you have to train them to be open during the day. Not my cup of tea lol

Yea the sun corals are too much of a pain for me, and you have to train them to be open during the day. Not my cup of tea lol

They had about 8 rocks of them in my lfs last month, the only one they have left are now the orange ones that i've never seen open so thats why haven't bothered. I may get a fungia plate tomorrow. Saw a nice one this morning but was a bit hung over and thought i could do with the money for going out tonight, stayed in though so...£££

Adding a pep shrimp tomorrow, can anybody i.d. the orange coral in my tank, it looks a bit like an orange version of the gsp, but it doesn't form a matt, instead it grows from tubes.

Added some more clean up crew today. One conch (smallest they had) a blue eyed hermit tricolour and two skeleton hermits (what i had named common previously). Pics tomorrow, going to do a slight rock move as the clown can't move about as much as i'd like, also need to make a small cave some how for the pep that i ordered.Also got some cheato too, hopefully absorb some nitrate and phosphate.

I'll def get some pics up later after cleaning up the tank and doing some water change. May even give you a glimpse of my 40g severum tank as i haven't taken any pics of that in a while. Hoping to add some plants to it later.

So i finally got round to uploading this shots. Most stuff of the stuff in the tank is hiding due to me having to move stuff to recover my gsp that was moved from a rock to the cave, i guess by a crab knocking it or deciding it didn't like the colour in its tank!

Firstly her is a FTS:

Photo-0004-4.jpg

There is new cheato to try soak up some nutrients in the water although not sure its getting the best of the light where it is. I tried to get a new bulb over the weekend but to no avail! Lfs trip tomorrow at some point for the bulb. Pep should be there this week i am told.

Here is one of the new skeleton crabs, i now have three, i find they are a little aggressive with each other but leave the red and the tri colour alone, also they get around quite a lot in terms of eating, one even appears to eat the cyano i am getting, the conch is doing a good job of stirring the sand bed how ever he avoids the centre of the tank which is getting a bit of cyano on now.

Photo-0012-4.jpg

This is currently my fave thing in the tank, he even beats the clown in coolness! Its my halloween Crab. I love the banding on his legs and the very small orange feather dusters he has on his shell. I may get another of these soon although i think the tank is reaching the max for crabs, I have 5atm and i really want a blue legged hermit, i think 7 may be too many? Not sure. They don't appear to be doing any harm and the tank seems to be very stable atm.

Photo-0014-3.jpg

This is my tricolour hermit, he is very hard to photograph due to his shell having so much over hang over his head. I watched him claim this shell whilst i was in the lfs and decided i wanted him.

Photo-0016-3.jpg

Now this is obv not my pico, but its my 40g ex marine tank hence the 2white and one blue 39w t5s on the tank. Evap is a big issue with this tank, i put in about 5 gallon every week plus 10g water change biweekly.

Photo-0026.jpg

Here are my severum doing a bit of syncronised swimming/fighting in sycnronisation!

Photo-0033.jpg

I am growing the algea on the back for trumpet snails to graze on, as the severums love to eat them as did the male blue acara, unfortunately he died last week. Still looking to replace him, looking for a big catfish too!

Sorry to add the trop pics but i was well pleased with the rootwork in the tank atm so decided to snap it anway. Its better than flip flops *cough* kevin *cough*

fallenlordz

Like the root like driftwood of that freshwater tank. Looking my self to make my current planted 75 gallon tank into a more driftwood orientated planted tank.

More driftwood for my plecos, also bought some exotic plecos :) (green phantom and snowball pleco) Wish I never sold my gold nugget and royal pleco now. LOL

Is that some strong canister filter under your FW tank? B)

Like the root like driftwood of that freshwater tank. Looking my self to make my current planted 75 gallon tank into a more driftwood orientated planted tank.

More driftwood for my plecos, also bought some exotic plecos :) (green phantom and snowball pleco) Wish I never sold my gold nugget and royal pleco now. LOL

Is that some strong canister filter under your FW tank? B)

That tank was the best buy in my life, maybe $100 dollars on todays exchange rate, i paid £43 on ebay for the tank and the silver stand (i used for storage in my shed, it was silver and doesn't match the welsh pine that my parents have everywhere in out house) I brought it as a marine tank but before i could afford rock for it my cichlids bred which meant i moved them into a bigger tank. I got the filter, tank, delivery, the 3 bulbs and light unit, and a single aquamedic metal halide unit that i may strip for the pico, but it would over heat like a #####, i burnt my hand on it when moving it after testing the bulb, i can see how people complain about them breaking!

The canister is a beast! Eheim Pro II 2026, i would recommend it to everyone.

I got rid of the catfish minus one, which i will be trading in for a couple more as he's a big specimen with great colour, its a cuckoo synodontis, you rarely see large ones over here anyway. I only want amazon dwelling fish in the tank. I may be getting a ghost knife off my lfs owner as i need one larger than import size but not so big that it will grow quickly.

I need more plants and i might get some co2 on it, i already weekly suppliment with plant excel (liquid carbon) and have loads of carbon in the filter along with some form of white media balls, the labels are german so i don't know what the hell is in it, it works and doesn't kill stuff so... Anyway back to the pico....

Archived